Thread: Hd Tv
View Single Post
Old 10.01.2006, 23:26
Forum Legend

Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Richard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hd Tv

Hi Gav,

I do appreciate your opening line. It is only this year that you can officially get Sky in Switzerland ie order it for over here. Previously you needed to get it installed at a UK address deinstall it and then ship it over here... And have you seen the cost of having it officially over here?!

I know what you are saying about the services and the additional cost. The point the nice slimey sky spokesman was making is that in order to receive the service you will need a new decoder and that is where the 400 comes in for those who want to have one in April. Note that Sky are intending to broadcast the world cup HD and that is why it is important for them to get everything up and running early. Furthermore there does not appear to be clarity about what HD actually means. We all know the US and ROW situation with respect to analog and for that reason at least initially the HD signal will come in two forms and now I am guessing 780 and 1060 lines. No it is not 780x1060. Until everyone is happy to go to the higher res then there will be bandwidth burn...

The key thing and the real reason for starting this thread is that there are a whole load of suckers out there STILL going out and buying plasma that does not support HD and are totally ignorant that this will have limited and potentially very limited life. It is not as if they are cheap. And the cable and satellite companies seem to be conspiring not to communicate their real intentions.

Richard