View Single Post
Old 20.03.2010, 15:32
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 91 Times in 70 Posts
Jaro has a reputation beyond reputeJaro has a reputation beyond reputeJaro has a reputation beyond reputeJaro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: bringing my USA BMW to CH?

Quote:
View Post
NO!

BMW USA radios tune in 200kHz increments, as is standard in the USA
They stop on odd numbered radio stations, ie 101.1, 101.3, 101.5 etc

Here in Zurich this means you cannot tune to Radio 24 on 102.8 and 102.0

If you are in a town where by luck the radio is on an odd numbered channel eg 101.1, then you can receive it. But certainly you will have great dificulty receiving FM radio in Switzerland especially when the RDS tries to automatically change frequencies to those that cannot be received. So driving around and listening to DRS3 will be really frustrating.

I have a friend who had a USA BMW that wasn't reprogrammed to ECE.
He got so frustrated with the radio, and the other USA differences, eventually he sold the car and bought a ECE model.
talking about me?
radio was indeed a good reason why I got rid off my 6er. Yes i had 10's og gigs of songs on my ipod nicely integrated into Idrive but that and lack of TMC and traffic radio updates were a factor in downgrade to ECE A4. as far as comments about quality it is total BS. In fact I would add that my car with equipment I had was a rarity. Bring the bimmer. You will enjoy it and take advantage of Kiwi's connections. The guy knows his stuff. My next ride will definitely come from US so let's hope USD tanks in 2-3 years from now.