View Single Post
Old 14.04.2010, 22:07
Forum Legend

Groaned at 39 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 6,370 Times in 2,929 Posts
swisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Executor for a British will, resident in Switzerland: Possible?

In Australia there is the 'public trustee' which is a government department that can handle these things - I watched my dad handle all the things related to my grandmother's death - he was out of pocket over $50,000 before it was all sorted out - luckily he had that sort of cash around so could afford to manage it all and take it all out legitimately from her estate at the end, and be no worse off...I'd imagine the UK also has a 'public trustee'...

If there is any conflict/trouble with the person's extended family, messy business deals, or anything like that, I wouldn't do it - kids involved, debts involved...and being distanced from the person means you won't necessarily know what they have anyway - a family member of ours was still getting share notices of companies she didn't even know her husband had investments with - up to 2-3 years after the estate was supposedly 'sorted'!

I have been asked to be the executor of my dad's will - which is likely to involve complicated business (including various companies and employees) - but he has an accountant and solicitor who hold all the necessary information and there is money there to make sure it can all be afforded...

Likewise my FIL - same situation - FIL asked my husband to handle things - and he also has done the same - he has an accountant and a solicitor, and we would be able to use these people for the 'winding up' of all his finances...

I wouldn't do it for anyone else...nope...too messy...too much stress involved...
This user would like to thank swisspea for this useful post: