View Single Post
Old 07.05.2010, 00:26
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
cookie143 has no particular reputation at present
Anyone has used EU Medical Benefits Card to pay for hospital bills in Switzerland?

Hello Everyone,

My family is from Norway and just moved to Zurich two months ago. I just found out I'm pregnant. The problem is we still don't have the Swiss insurance in place yet. My understanding is that I can only get basic insurance now since I'm already pregnant and that only allows me to go to public hospitals.

But I was told by the Norwegian healthcare that we entitle to the same medical benefits here in Switzerland as local Swiss citizens since Norway has an agreement with Switzerland that EU members can transfer their own medical plans from one country to another. All we have to pay is the deductible and gov't will pay for the rest.

Has anyone has done similar things in the past just so they don't need to buy Swiss insurance? This is very confusing for me since I thought even local Swiss people need to buy insurance.

If this is the case, can you pls advise how the whole things work? Especially in terms of how to find a doctor and hospital etc that qualifies and also setting up checkups etc.

Thanks a lot!