View Single Post
Old 07.05.2010, 11:28

Groaned at 7 Times in 2 Posts
BrianR has earned some respectBrianR has earned some respect
Re: Potential employer demanding a reference from current employer

I have never heard of this being done (even though you should always assume that the hiring company will (illegally) try to get information about you from anybody at your current place of employment.) I know that sounds bad, but I have worked in HR and rules are broken all the time. I once chastised a headhunter for calling me to ask me questions about someone I didn't know but who had worked for the company. I was not in HR at that time and felt that this was unethical and very unprofessional. What if I had not liked the candidate or had an axe to grind? I could have hurt their chances.

I digress. I have never heard of an employer openly asking the candidate for references from the current employer. Maybe someone more familiar with labor laws here can advise you.

I would share your concern with the new employer. If they can't accept the precarious position they are putting you in, I would take a pass on the offer. If this is how they are treating you in the courtship phase, I can only imagine how they will treat you when you have signed on the dotted line...
This user would like to thank BrianR for this useful post: