View Single Post
Old 07.05.2010, 12:11

Groaned at 6 Times in 2 Posts
Dramaticpause has earned some respectDramaticpause has earned some respect
Re: Potential employer demanding a reference from current employer

Quote:
View Post
As part of the application/interview process it's not uncommon for references/referees to be asked for, but they not normally taken up until after a contract is signed, which is normally then subject to confirmation of ref's/quals etc. Did they actually say they were going to contact your referees before making an offer?
They were absolutley insistent on contacting my current manager before giving me a decision and making an offer (verbal or formal). This was normal process according to them although I've never heard of it and it seems nobody else has either. I refused as politely as I could but tried to keep the dialogue open. Another referee provided an exemplary reference (I'm that good - honest) and they stopped hounding me but they were adamant that no decision/offer would be made before receiving references.

I believe that they had been to some "hard ball" school of HR and recruitment as I was continually put under pressure and received demands with very little notice. My reading of the situation was that they believed that if they acted as though I should be grateful and feel flattered to receive an offer I would immediately say yes and I was lucky to have it.

I have a friend who has attended sales technique seminars along the same lines and we agree that a smack in the mouth is a more likely outcome than a sale.

Thanks for the posts.
This user would like to thank Dramaticpause for this useful post: