View Single Post
Old 07.05.2010, 19:03
Forum Legend

Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
summerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will I have to pay a large customs charge for bringing lots of food in my suitcas

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for the responses.

I was just planning to bring about 1 kg total of the following:

green tea, dried seaweed (both nori and kombu), pickled plums, dried fish powder (bouillon).

Even if many of these items are available in some form in Switzerland, I am expecting it to be hard to find the particular brands I like and/or for these items to be very expensive.

I was hoping there was some guideline as to how to calcuate the customs taxes in advance, just in case I have to pay a duty.
Sorry I am going to have to be a little blunt as there will be no other way of saying this: if you are planning to live here, life will be rather difficult if you insist on sticking to certain brands from home. Those items that you have mentioned can be easily found in the Japanese shop here in Zürich as well as certain Asian supermarkets.

Price wise, everything here will be much more expensive than everywhere else, but seriously, contrary to popular belief, Asian foods here are not exhorbitantly priced at all.

My best advice to you is just to bring a small amount to help curb the homesickness a bit, if you really must. A fellow EF member does a "foods of the world" shopping trip once a month or so where she takes everyone who signed up around all the Asian shops here in Zürich. Sign up for that, and I am positive that you will be able to find the exact brand or similar.

Sorry I dont know the charges you can expect for custom duty. Just be prepared for the possibility of them being confiscated.