View Single Post
Old 07.05.2010, 19:43
Forum Legend

Groaned at 206 Times in 163 Posts
Thanked 7,101 Times in 3,172 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Potential employer demanding a reference from current employer

Quote:
View Post
They were absolutley insistent on contacting my current manager before giving me a decision and making an offer (verbal or formal). This was normal process according to them although I've never heard of it and it seems nobody else has either. I refused as politely as I could but tried to keep the dialogue open. Another referee provided an exemplary reference (I'm that good - honest) and they stopped hounding me but they were adamant that no decision/offer would be made before receiving references.

I believe that they had been to some "hard ball" school of HR and recruitment as I was continually put under pressure and received demands with very little notice. My reading of the situation was that they believed that if they acted as though I should be grateful and feel flattered to receive an offer I would immediately say yes and I was lucky to have it.

I have a friend who has attended sales technique seminars along the same lines and we agree that a smack in the mouth is a more likely outcome than a sale.

Thanks for the posts.
If a future employer treats you this way before they have even got you on board, I'd to think about how they'd treat you once on board!!!

Jim
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post: