View Single Post
Old 08.05.2010, 09:52
Forum Legend

Groaned at 303 Times in 259 Posts
Thanked 22,509 Times in 8,169 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Potential employer demanding a reference from current employer

I was asked the same last year. Not by the guy who would potentially hire me, but the HR representative in the interview meeting.

I told them that:
- I do have references they can call
- they can call several former manager, but obviously not the current one until I got an offer, decided to agree to it and quit my current job myself
- I found it very strange to collect references in the middle of the hiring process (I was expected to come to another interview at that point). It is for me the last thing you do, somewhen after the offer...

I have been told that they would do this earlier "to speed things up" and they were willing to accept a former manager from the same company instead of the current one.

They did call. The "speed things up" argument is complete rubbish as the process took four months (!) and I got rejected in the end, not because of the references but because after half a year after publishing the opening, the department had to reduce head count... I believe that this is one of the HR tactics you can see currently: Companies are not hiring much, so you actually do not need as many HR folks as three years ago. These calls keep them busy and it looks like they are doing valuable work. The manager they called told me later on that they asked him all sort of things for nearly an hour and that he has never seen so a thorough and detailed interview. I bet the girls spent a week on documenting and analyzing the call...