Thread: Car accident
View Single Post
Old 13.05.2010, 14:53
Forum Legend

Groaned at 102 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 9,771 Times in 4,116 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car accident

Quote:
View Post
CH is the only country I know where - after an accident like the one you just described - you will be fined and will likely lose your license for some time. Expect 1-3 months and a fine of >1000. Welcome to the insane world of CH.
Actually, I don't agree. I caused an accident last August. A three car pile up. In the process I wrote off my car and the one in front. The first car got off lightly with minor damage.

It was 100% my fault. Luckily no one was seriously injured. I got fined, and rightly so, but no loss of licence. (EDIT: Saw your update post: bills & fines were in the order of 1,400 CHF, split 50/50 between Baselstadt and Baselland, as the accident was in BL, but I live in BS).

Quote:
View Post
good thing you did not admit fault, never do it even if it is your fault....

let insurance deal with it. That why you got the insurance. It being a rental I doubt you will hear much about it besides the bill offcourse....
I'm with SimonHicken. You have insurance. If it is your fault, your insurance should still cover you. Accidents happen, that's what you have insurance for and unless you were drunk or speeding, then usually you are covered even if it is your fault.

The only thing, I guess, is that people do try to take advantage of such situations to get something for free, but that's life.

To the OP: your insurance company may or may not be the best place to ask for advice as they will not be impartial. Are you a member of the TCS? In which case I believe that they offer a first consultation for free. If you don't have their legal insurance cover - obviously if you do have their legal cover, I'm guessing you wouldn't be here!