View Single Post
Old 24.05.2010, 17:12
Banned

Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,485 Times in 713 Posts
Boxman has a reputation beyond reputeBoxman has a reputation beyond reputeBoxman has a reputation beyond reputeBoxman has a reputation beyond reputeBoxman has a reputation beyond reputeBoxman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question on Cablecom: real highspeed "2000"?

Quote:
View Post
What you are saying there is correct if we are taking about the upload rate per user.

But what i was saying there is when you are downloading a file hosted in a server. i.e. downloading messenger from yahoo for instance isnt that subject to upload bandwidth as well?

Really? Im not saying you are daft but when exactly did you managed to Download a file at 50 Mbps? I was using 20Mbps with BE Internet before, and the most i could get when downloading a file hosted in a server is 600Kbps.
You don't know what you're talking about. At the server end, you'll either have 10, 100 or 1000Mbps connection. Most providers will, for example, offer you either a 10Mbps flat connection for your server or will give you 100/1000Mbps and once you hit an amount of traffic, it is throttled.

Google, MS, Yahoo and the likes all have very fast connections probably out to a level one tier ISP. It's all the hops along the way plus all the other people using the resource that slows you down.

http://hsi.bluewin.ch is the same speedtest as Cablecom for Swisscom DSL customers. Running a speed test from any upstream location is likely to not show you a correct speed.

Don't forget you're running a consumer service not a business service and bandwidth is not guaranteed

And don't get confused with how the different speeds are measured for different things