View Single Post
Old 24.05.2010, 19:39
Banned

Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,485 Times in 713 Posts
Boxman has a reputation beyond reputeBoxman has a reputation beyond reputeBoxman has a reputation beyond reputeBoxman has a reputation beyond reputeBoxman has a reputation beyond reputeBoxman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question on Cablecom: real highspeed "2000"?

Quote:
View Post
Right Pardon me, My I.T Administrator just burst out laughing.

This is what we are talking about.

If you are downloading a file from a server, even though that file is already in the server, when you download, it will still be subject to a bandwidth when passing it over to you. So regardless of how fast is the download bandwidth of that user, if the uploading bandwidth is limited at a certain speed only. That's the only speed that user will get, and if others are connected to thesame server at thesame time the bandwidth will have to be split to the number of connected users reducing it even more.

So this is why i said, you can't take advantage of your full 50 meg, 20 Meg.

achilles852 pointed out, you can take advantage of this speeds, but only if you are connected simultaneosly to a different servers at thesame time. i.e. downloading a file from yahoo, while watching you tube at thesame time etc.

anyhow..

achilles852 is also right with below
no, you said this and it is incorrect.
Quote:
View Post
To get a full 2000Kbps download rate, the other end (the one's serving you the file you're downloading) should be uploading at thesame speed. Unfortunately, the upload speed rate is always lower than the download rate. This is why i think its pointless getting a broadband package with up 20 Meg, 50 Meg, so on and so fort because in a real world, you can't take advantage of its full speed. So in a nutshell its a complete and utter waste of money.
The upload speed is not necessarily lower. What matters is what is between you and the server and how many others are using the service (remote and local).

I have a server and it can upload at 100Mbps to the Internet. As it's located not too many hops from me, I can see it max my bandwidth. It does not max its own bandwidth.

Domestic ISP plans are not guaranteed any bandwidth and often oversell. Even if they don't, contention can be significant at certain times of the day.

I still see my 20Mbps being saturated quite often. I assume your IT Admin person knows what I am up to in order to achieve that