View Single Post
Old 28.05.2010, 10:17
deneb's Avatar
deneb deneb is offline
Newbie 1st class
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: St. Gallen
Posts: 22
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
deneb has slipped a little
Working as Freelancer from Home

Hello Guys

My wife wants to start working from home as freelancer for software projects.


1. Non-EU National
2. Professional Engineer with a PhD with past overseas work experience.
3. B-permit with Work Permission
4. In Switzerland for last 2 years
5. Has not worked in Switzerland ever (No AHV, etc.)
6. I am 100% employed.

Now, after reading the discussions on this forum, I believe she can simply start invoicing her clients in her own name. She just needs to keep track of every expense and income. She can receive payments in private bank account (paypal, etc.) and when we file our usual end-of-the-year tax returns, she declares everything there. This goes till she earns more than (I think) 75K CHF. After which, she must register it as an Einzelfirma, etc. Is this understanding correct?

Further questions:
1. Does she need any AHV registration? If yes, where to order it?
2. Does she need to apply for any kind of selbstädigarbeit permission, in addition to her already existing work permission? She went to Gemeinde but (I fear) they did not understand completely and gave her the forms to apply for work permission.

Your feedback is much appreciated and is really needed.

Reply With Quote