View Single Post
Old 12.07.2007, 15:45
Forum Legend

Groaned at 26 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,259 Posts
Polorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to inadvertently insult a Swiss?

Quote:
View Post
I may be wrong on this and I don't have time to check it exactly right now...

But as far as I remember the Americas Cup does have to be held on the Sea, an enclosed bay will do, but it should have a connection to open water. A lake will not (Remember the first Americas Cup was actually a transatlantic race!!! The clippers of the day had to race across the Atlantic with their cargo of tea). Berterelli would have had to change the rules (and probably the boat design rules also!) to hold the event on lake Geneva, since they had won the cup this would have been within their prerogative, but they did choose a spot with no tide which could have potentially helped a Swiss team (or at least taken an advantage away from ocean sailors!)

You make a good point about the lakes, it is really difficult to sail well in those shifty conditions, but it makes the racing really tactical which can make for excellent match racing. Interestingly the days that were like that in this years Americas Cup racing was postponed or canceled!!!

what dissapointed me about Berterelli was his constant moaning regards the light winds ... and yes, they chose a Meditteranean venue precisely for the reason that it would give them an edge.

Americas Cup rules changed this year with regards to light winds :

Quote:
Under this year's America's Cup rules, racing cannot start unless the wind is steady between seven and 23 knots
Source : Eurosport