View Single Post
Old 06.07.2010, 16:41
Forum Legend

Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
summerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How can I stop my dog going to my neighbours?

Quote:
View Post
Exactly, he's only 4 months old, and we've only had him a few weeks, and the problem of going to the neighbour's only started since the good weather arrived... if only the neighbour had a little patience.

I think I'll try putting something that smells bad like vinegar or ammonia where he usually passes and see if that helps.
Dont take this the wrong way, I hope I am not coming across as lecturing you but at four months, he should NEVER be let off the lead and your sight. Yes, even inside the house - let alone outside. I'll give you an example: I brought my dog home when he was around that age too - due to toilet training as well, he was leashed to me at all times - both inside and outside the house. The crate came in handy when I was in the loo or night time.

I tell him where to go, what to do, when to eat and pee. It sounds like I am a control freak but dogs, especially puppies, thrive on rules. I've said before, that puppies are hardwired to follow a pack leader and they dont gain anything if we feel sorry for them.

Putting bad smells might deter the dog but I think the longer term and much more effective solution is to keep him on a leash till he is better trained. Ammonia and vinegar will not be as effective as your presence and commands. Plus, wouldnt ammonia be harmful to a curious puppy whose body functions arent fully developed?