View Single Post
Old 21.07.2010, 15:16
Tea for Roo's Avatar
Tea for Roo Tea for Roo is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wellington NZ
Posts: 107
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 63 Times in 37 Posts
Tea for Roo has earned some respectTea for Roo has earned some respect
Re: Travel insurance question

View Post
Hi all,

I've done a search for my query, but was unable to find what I'm looking for.

I'm lucky enough to be going to China and Japan in August for a month as part of my PhD, and want to book some travel insurance (the university doesn't provide any). The problem is that when getting a quote, I am always asked for my "country of permanent residence". Now is that Switzerland (I have a B permit) or the UK, as I'm British? If I choose the wrong country will it void any claims I may need to make?

So confusing!!
Confusing yes. And of course the insurance company will try every means to get out of paying even if you have dotted all the 'i's and crossed all the 't's. My understanding is that if you have a B permit you are resident here and paying tax here and that it is your intention to stay here for the duration of the permit which would be 5 years. Therefore this is your permanent residence. Unless of course you are keeping a residence in the UK or some other country and are over there for long periods (I think it's 72days but I'm not sure).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tea for Roo for this useful post: