View Single Post
Old 21.07.2010, 23:32
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Swissmountainair has a reputation beyond reputeSwissmountainair has a reputation beyond reputeSwissmountainair has a reputation beyond reputeSwissmountainair has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travel insurance question

Quote:
View Post
Hi all,

I've done a search for my query, but was unable to find what I'm looking for.

I'm lucky enough to be going to China and Japan in August for a month as part of my PhD, and want to book some travel insurance (the university doesn't provide any). The problem is that when getting a quote, I am always asked for my "country of permanent residence". Now is that Switzerland (I have a B permit) or the UK, as I'm British? If I choose the wrong country will it void any claims I may need to make?

So confusing!!
We went through this some time ago and eventually got through to someone at the (Swiss based) insurance company who was sufficiently gifted in the art of communication to explain that even though we have 'B' residence permits, that in Swiss definition terms, Switzerland is indeed our "country of permanent residence." They recognised that this was somewhat misleading when one is on a five year permit, and it was not the first time they had been asked about. They then gladly took our money. We have not had occasion to claim on the insurance so don't know whether it would hold or not but decided to trust them on it.