View Single Post
Old 27.07.2010, 17:43
Forum Legend

Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,906 Times in 4,164 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Circumcision in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I have always found this American obsession with circumcision extremely weird. As far as I am aware it is the general consensus of the international medical community that unnecessary circumcision is tantamount to ritual scarification of your child.

That's interesting, 'cos there is evidence of the benefits of having Jonny chopped:
  • 10- to 20-fold protective benefit of newborn circumcision against severe urinary tract infections (UTIs) in the first year of life
  • preventing transmission of HIV
  • prevention of infant balanoposthitis and phimosis
  • prevention of HIV acquisition
  • reduction of penile cancer incidcen
  • reduction of penile dermatoses
  • chlamydia infection is 3 times more common in female partners of uncircumcised men than in female partners of circumcised men
PEDIATRICS Vol. 118 No. 1 July 2006, pp. 385-387.

Now, I'm no fan of having the chop, but I accept that there are medically justified reasons for it. I therefore don't agree with your view that the medical consensus is that it is a bad thing, as there is evidence that it has benefits - see above.

Last edited by Carlos R; 27.07.2010 at 17:53.