View Single Post
Old 03.08.2010, 15:38
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
LPA1975 has no particular reputation at present
Getting started...

All - would appreciate your throughts on this one. I suspect a number of you will have dealt with it at some point.

I've just hit the ground in Zurich. I'm not sure which area I will ultimately be living in (and therefore what tax rate I'll be subject to) and am currently living in hotels whilst trying to find a place to live. My efforts to find a place are also being frustrated by work commitments which keep me flying in to and out of the country at regular intervals.

I know I need to register with the local authority (I'm a British passport holder) pretty quickly. I'll also need to set up a bank account as I'll be paid in Swiss francs by the Swiss branch I am employed by.And I also need to get my tax affairs in order.

Here are my questions:

1. In order to set up a bank account, do I need a permanent address (I'm living in hotels). Can I use my office address?

2. How do I register with the local authorities given them I'm living various hotels whilst finding somewhere to live, or should I wait until I've settled?

3. How will the country tax me given that I'm being paid in Swiss francs (assuming I can set up an account!) but that my address may well be changing a couple of times over the next few weeks, probably between areas with different tax rates?

It would all be easier if I'd moved straight in to a place, but that's unfortunately not how it's panned out. And my company is very unfamiliar with these types of moves and not a great deal of help. Hence I'm asking you guys, who have been excellent in the past!

Any thoughts appreciated.

L