View Single Post
Old 04.08.2010, 08:52

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
seeingbee has a reputation beyond reputeseeingbee has a reputation beyond reputeseeingbee has a reputation beyond reputeseeingbee has a reputation beyond reputeseeingbee has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non-EU postdoc - does anyone else have to pay student fees?

Quote:
View Post
No deal is done with the authorities. The universities simply enrol people as students and as such they get an easier route to a permit. These are the rules and nothing special is done for universities .
I think it can be rather confusing since it seems everyone here is in a slightly different boat. All the postdocs I know (at the ETH, and I am one of them) are here on work, not student, contracts and I have never heard of having to pay this fee (I am non-EU). The permit question is separate though, as even some of our EU postdocs and PhD students have gotten saddled with L permits in spite of longer contracts. In our group at least it has become policy to only hire post-docs on at least 2-year contracts to up our chances of getting them a B-permit from the get-go. [but for the non-EU among us these have consistently been 1-year renewable B's]

Have you asked your supervisor if it would be possible to change your status to employee or are they not willing to go the tougher permit route? I would think w/ a PhD and the postdoc experience you already have it should not be so difficult to secure one...?