View Single Post
Old 04.08.2010, 14:05

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
kiwigeek has an excellent reputationkiwigeek has an excellent reputationkiwigeek has an excellent reputationkiwigeek has an excellent reputation
Re: Non-EU postdoc - does anyone else have to pay student fees?

Wow! So many replies! You guys are great

I figured it was probably just a case of an easier route to permits. Just frustrating that none of my collegues have to pay.

Also frustrating that my position is paid by the Etat - so there I am getting my salary from the Etat then giving them back permit and student fees...the roundabout continues.

But given the horror stories I read on here, I guess I should count myself lucky that my initial permit and renewal have gone through without problem. If there's one thing Fribourg is great for it is quick turnaround of permit renewals!

Unfortunately the "student" permit has some disadvantages, especially in terms of rights to family reunification

Alas, I am forever destined to be a student and never find a "proper" job!

P.S. Are the ANY benefits of being a student here? When I started my boss told me it would be great because I could get all the special student prices.....but since I am on the dark side of 26, it seems this only means a couple of CHFs off at the movies!