View Single Post
Old 20.08.2010, 01:52
Forum Legend

Groaned at 129 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 8,226 Times in 3,822 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can't decide, either wife or I will be unemployed. What would you do?

Quote:
View Post
From a pure financial standpoint it doesn't make sense to quit my job to move to Geneva, but it hurts me to see the pain my wife goes through trying to find work here. I'm so torn......

I know nobody has the correct answer of what we should do .. the decision is just driving me crazy and am hoping for some indication of the job market there.
Well, I don't know if this is an option but you could let your wife accept the job in Geneva without you quitting your job just yet. Every new job has a trial period. Perhaps it will not be the dream job she thought but in the trial period either the employer or employee can decide to terminate the contract with very little notice. So there is a risk in the trial period. So initially you could stay in the US at the start, continue to look for a job but don't quit the current one.

Over the years I have seen many couples and families opt for living apart temporarily. Sometimes it makes sense as it gives you a bit of a safety net.

You sound like a really nice guy to consider your wife's needs but as you said, there is no correct answer. I hope you find a good solution. Good luck.

Last edited by Mrs. Doolittle; 20.08.2010 at 01:53. Reason: added info about the trial period
The following 5 users would like to thank Mrs. Doolittle for this useful post: