View Single Post
Old 06.09.2010, 20:32

Groaned at 24 Times in 15 Posts
belgo has an excellent reputationbelgo has an excellent reputationbelgo has an excellent reputationbelgo has an excellent reputation
Re: Investment in UBS bonds and funds

I am working for an online broker in Geneva (Keytrade Bank) so I agree I am biased but I also have experience as a former UBS client and I know the price of what's on offer on the Swiss market. In a nutshell I thought UBS really exaggerated with only looking after their own interest in anything they came up with (yes I know a lot of cynics will think that all banks are like that). Anyway, I gave up after having to pay a 1% commission to withdraw EURO notes from my zero interest account. So it would be entirely logical for them to direct you to their own funds or to a bond they currently try to place. The problem is that it is very likely that their own product is not the world champion in its class. The best funds are often run by independent houses (blackrock, carmignac to name a few ). So there might be a lot better funds around, with a better track record and/or lower management costs than the UBS Fund. So my advice would be to try to compare what you have been offered (I guess it's a mixed bond/equities fund) and compare its historical performance with other funds from third parties in the same category. Look at Morningstar for example. Or consider ETF's, also called trackers, these are funds listed on stock exchanges and run with minimal fees.