Thread: Cheese musings
View Single Post
Old 07.09.2010, 20:37
Forum Legend

Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Cheese musings

Whilst enjoying a variety of Grumpys cheeses tonight i had the same thought I often have and this time I thought i'd put it to you guys - why isn't British cheese famous/well known world wide, why aren't the British regarded as a great cheese making nation?

I like Swiss cheese but the majority of it is very similar, slightly rubbery at times, same colour, texture and usually taste. So I ask, why does this nice but a bit bland cheese have notoriety around the globe and how the hell did the Swiss become world renowned cheese makers/producers?

When you visit Grumpys stall compared to the other stalls around him selling swiss cheeses you first of all notice the array of colours of the cheese, then you taste and they all have different textures and tastes, they are so diverse in comparison to many other nations' cheeses.

I suppose what i am wondering is how the hell did Swiss cheese become famous and British cheese leaves more non British people saying 'what? British cheese? good?'

For me it's the best but then maybe I am biased
The following 14 users would like to thank Nickers for this useful post: