Thread: Cheese musings
View Single Post
Old 09.09.2010, 12:38
Forum Legend

Groaned at 303 Times in 259 Posts
Thanked 22,543 Times in 8,174 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cheese musings

Quote:
View Post
British are already famous for the liquid part: tea, beer, whisky..that's enough. So far pure british gastronomy suffers from a persistent stereotype (which has maybe some truth at the roots) and did not manage to poison....erhh convince the rest of the world.
Most of the world is aware that Ceylon tea is not from Britain. I'd say that most Germans would reply to "name a British beer" either "Guinness" or "?". For me, Britain never was about anything food related, but funny enough are the various German cuisines equally shunned by Brits... (while in fact not too different from many British classics). I guess most of the ignorance is quite literally ignorance: People do not know - While millions of British and Germans travel to Spain, Greece or Italy, few visit other places than London or Munich... and so we think that all there is in Britain is the curries and chinese food I got in London (they do not seem to have too much to be proud of themselves...) and you guys think that Germans drink bad lager from huge tankards and eat pork knuckles.

As annoying as I personally find him do I believe that Jamie Oliver actually managed to change the view on British food habits abroad.
The following 2 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post: