Old 17.08.2007, 19:33
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garthia has no particular reputation at present
Re: Postdoc tax question

Quote:
View Post
Richard,
can you tell me, what the 3rd pillar is? Also, would you recommend it as a general approach to test-drive the tax form to see, which way is cheaper and then follow the result? I for one would opt for manual tax return, even if I just saved CHF 50. But are the deductions not taken off my paycheck be the employer anyway? If so, does the manual approach just mean applying for tax returns?
Daniel
The 3rd pillar is a way to save more money for your pension, to pay less taxes and to get better annual interests compared to a saving account. I have been doing this already for 4 years and I recommend it! It is like a saving account with around 2.5% annual interest in which you can put a maximum of ~6200 CHF per year. Then, according to your salary, you can deduce taxes. I am a postdoc at ETH and with this kind of salary and putting the maximum in the 3rd pillar account I get around 1500 CHF back. I guess that your taxes are deduced "à la source" because you have a B-permit, so you only have to send in March a letter with the bank statement and then they deposit the money in your account! I found that the best bank for this is the WIR bank (best interest).

If you stay in Switzerland, you only can get this money out of the mank when you retire, if you want to buy a house, or if you want to start your own business. But if you leave, you can take the money out.

Hope it helps!

Garthia