View Single Post
Old 22.08.2007, 10:30

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
hcommdoc has no particular reputation at present
Re: [US->CH] Good moving company??

I used "professional" folks, too. They sent me a quote w/in 24 hours of the inquiry. They seemed to do everything right...until move day. A few things to ask, watch for, or consider:

- ask when they will use a 3rd party. My movers never informed me that they were just brokers and outsourced everything. They used 3rd party companies for EVERYTHING except for writing the contract and receiving payment. The fine print in that contract says they can charge an additional 30% when they use a 3rd party. And they did!

- if the contract states "approximate" in any line item, that is exactly what they mean. And it will not work in your favor.

Finally, schedule your goods to be picked up 5-7 days before you leave your house and keep in mind that these folks do not work weekends. Give time for problems to occur and the movers to delay things at the very last minute (real life example: truck carrying cargo container gets stopped at a weigh station and does not pass inspection. Has to get brakes and other things fixed before they will release him. Barely makes it to the house on a Friday afternoon. Then he said, if it had taken longer, he would have had to reschedule for Monday or Tuesday.) The trickle down impact could have been HUGE.