View Single Post
Old 05.10.2010, 18:44

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
fl0werstar is considered knowledgeablefl0werstar is considered knowledgeablefl0werstar is considered knowledgeable
Re: How to earn a living in Geneva with an MA (Applied Linguistics) and 5ys teaching

Thank you ever so much!
The word déjà caught my eye instantly. That sounds promising. So I should be able to get past this. I'm also thinking of juggling around a couple of jobs, trying to teach as much as I can all the while... Maybe I'll be able to support my hobby that way. (I'm trying to suppress the feeling but it bugs me a little still that my choice of profession is such a hit in my country. )

Quote:
View Post
Oh dear, Flowerstar.

Reading your post, I had a sense of déjà vu.

I have a degree in Linguistics and 20 years teaching experience (TEFL in diff. countries).
I have gone through similar experiences with resulting options - retrain as a high school teacher, admin, etc - and at the moment, have a good teaching post in a college of further education, as well as a job in a wine merchant's (sales and admin.) So, I've had to put a lot of bits and pieces together to get a decent salary.

You have to be flexible, try anything and build up your practical skills and knowledge of German. It can be a bumpy road but don't give up. I wish you all the best.