View Single Post
Old 19.10.2010, 22:42
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ...and how about the homework of the children?

Quote:
View Post
However, my children now go to an afterschool homework club, "coup de Pouce" (I think is the proper name)... I think these kind of sessions run in several school in CH?
I think the sessions - called 'devoirs surveillÚs', supervised homework - are fairly standard, they certainly have them at my kids' school. They are a great option for parents who are worried that their own language skills might hamper the kids, and can often be almost private tutoring; a friend's son at our school goes, and he is one of four in the group.

The supervisors often tend to be teachers, current or retired, or other education professionals such as foreign language tutors picking up extra work hours. The ones I know of certainly play an active role rather than just sit there reading in a 'don't bother me, children' way! The price is usually extremely reasonable by Swiss standards, much cheaper than private tuition, and the kids do seem to view it as more of a social club and hence much more fun than doing extra lessons at home on their own.

Don't worry too much - we found primary homework, and schooling, to be all very gentle. Which is nice, as you will have a year to settle in before the homework nightmare that is 5th grade starts.

Best of luck for your move.

kodokan