View Single Post
Old 19.10.2010, 22:58
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ...and how about the homework of the children?

Quote:
View Post
It's very funny, I had opened a similar post as I was also worried about homework in a foreign language, but some members and teachers told me that kids were expected to be independent and not rely on adults to help them with their homework..that it was considered cheating . Now i find this post very reassuring seeing that there is guidance and support after all..
Well, I hope it's true for your area too, but we're all in Suisse Romande which on these boards frequently turns out to be culturally different... Anyone from the German-speaking cantons here to chime in with how it's done in their schools?

On the plus side, as I recall your child is quite small still - my 6 yr old gets homework like filling in missing numbers on a number line from 1 to 20, or join the dots, or cutting out 10 words with the sound 'ou' in them and sticking them beneath the correct picture. Given a dictionary, it's nothing that couldn't be worked out in seconds, at least at first. And the rest - verb tenses, vocab, school instruction words like 'underline', 'add', 'circle', etc - you can learn together over the years. I don't know about German, but the French-speaking kids here only learn the present tense until 3rd grade, so it's not a very steep learning curve.