View Single Post
Old 23.10.2010, 10:13
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 24 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,164 Posts
biff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How much of your net salary do pay in rent?

Quote:
View Post
The standard budgeting figure is 25%, but it depends on your disposable income thereafter and how important your hut is to you.
I agree. That 30% guideline must surely be related to total gross earnings in relation to the average living costs of the average person. eg: if on a very low salary, then I would be looking at wanting a rent well below the 30%, to have enough money left to survive on. If, on the other hand I was earening 650,000 as mentioned by "Not All There" I would be able to afford to survive more than nicely on the remaining two-thirds. (On the other hand though, I wouold not want to spend aaanywhere like 200,000 on rent anywhere, so the 30% would still not apply.)

It makes more sense to think of what you need/want in a place, check the general prices fot that in your area, check how much you need for personal outgoings, savings etc, then make a personal decision based on all that. Then throw the housewarming apero.....