Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Business & entrepreneur  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 28.12.2010, 16:59
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: zurich
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
amigoh has no particular reputation at present
Starting an online business

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is necessary to register an online business in Switzerland? If yes, which authority should I go to?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 28.12.2010, 19:04
Little Johnny's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Google
Posts: 29
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Little Johnny has no particular reputation at present
Re: Starting an online business

Why do you want to register it in Switzerland?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28.12.2010, 19:10
Mowvich's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Genève
Posts: 1,422
Groaned at 28 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,308 Times in 607 Posts
Mowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Starting an online business

Quote:
View Post
Why do you want to register it in Switzerland?
Maybe cause he already lives in Switzerland
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 28.12.2010, 19:12
Little Johnny's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Google
Posts: 29
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Little Johnny has no particular reputation at present
Re: Starting an online business

Quote:
View Post
Maybe cause he already lives in Switzerland
Smart answer. Ok he lives in Switzerland but online business can live anywhere in this cyber world
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28.12.2010, 19:15
Mowvich's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Genève
Posts: 1,422
Groaned at 28 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,308 Times in 607 Posts
Mowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Starting an online business

Quote:
View Post
Smart answer. Ok he lives in Switzerland but online business can live anywhere in this cyber world
True, but he might want to register it here for tax reasons or maybe it's a Swiss based product, defo he had a certain point why he wants it based in CH....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28.12.2010, 19:17
Little Johnny's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Google
Posts: 29
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Little Johnny has no particular reputation at present
Re: Starting an online business

Quote:
View Post
True, but he might want to register it here for tax reasons or maybe it's a Swiss based product, defo he had a certain point why he wants it based in CH....
Assumptions are beginning of all the goof ups.!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 28.12.2010, 20:58
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 5,043
Groaned at 269 Times in 210 Posts
Thanked 8,276 Times in 3,649 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Starting an online business

Quote:
View Post
Smart answer. Ok he lives in Switzerland but online business can live anywhere in this cyber world
No, as far as the tax and immigration authorities are concerned every business must have a real bricks and mortar home! In the case of a legal entity such as a company it will have to have a registered office and in the case of a sole trader, i.e. a natural person, then that person's home if not obvious alternative exists.

This can have an impact on how your taxed, your work permit status and even your employment contract, since most contracts restricts you to working for only one employer.

Jim.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 28.12.2010, 21:10
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Starting an online business

http://www.kmu.admin.ch/themen/00614...x.html?lang=fr

'When annual income exceeds CHF 100,000 .-, individual reason must be registered with the trade. However, even if the income is lower, the company can be registered (optional). The registration of trade implies that the company name is protected and that the owner is subject to prosecution through bankruptcy.'
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 29.12.2010, 09:03
timpy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: zurich
Posts: 248
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 122 Times in 46 Posts
timpy is considered knowledgeabletimpy is considered knowledgeabletimpy is considered knowledgeable
Re: Starting an online business

You can simply register as Sole Trader and do the business. The process is very sraight forward. You also need to pay insurance on your profits for SVA, like Is pillar for a salaried person.

Alternatives you can have a GMBH which needs intial capital of CHF 20K and you work as owner and employee which means you can withdraw money as Dividend or Salary.

You can find tons of information here.
Help for Businesses/Freelancers in CH
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04.01.2011, 07:43
pxw pxw is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
pxw has no particular reputation at present
Re: Starting an online business

Quote:
View Post
You can simply register as Sole Trader and do the business. The process is very sraight forward. You also need to pay insurance on your profits for SVA, like Is pillar for a salaried person.

Alternatives you can have a GMBH which needs intial capital of CHF 20K and you work as owner and employee which means you can withdraw money as Dividend or Salary.
Probably the most important thing in the early stage is to not forget the SVA, as you are obliged to do so. Registering the company only becomes an obligation form 100k Sfr turnover, as said above. This btw. is also the amount where the question of VAT/MWSt. comes up.

If you make less than 100k and still have another day-job, you have to declaire the income through your online business on top of your day-job income as a side business (not sure how to approach this when you are taxed at source in your main job, but the taxt office will be able to tell you and it's not complicated). You can get away with a quite simple book-keeping (table of earning vs. expenses). So overall, the playground is fairly simple below the 100k limit.

Maybe one more aspect to it is, that if your online venture involves a substantial investment and maybe even risk of loosing money, your should look into the GMBH vs. Sole Trade/Einzelfirma question in order to partly protect your private property.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10.03.2011, 20:04
ozibird's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 157
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 33 Times in 23 Posts
ozibird has made some interesting contributions
Re: Starting an online business

Making 100k is a great business as a sole trader - why is it that soe many of the posts seem to get stuck around this 100k thing? 100k is a lot of money even with high taxes. Wouldn't you just start with sole trader and related visa ? and see where it goes from there ? please tell me what I am missing (am sure Charlie......will have something) I too am struglling with this á source deal' but have decided to just start sole trader - hence my interest
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11.03.2011, 14:36
fl0werstar's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 288
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 50 Times in 44 Posts
fl0werstar is considered knowledgeablefl0werstar is considered knowledgeablefl0werstar is considered knowledgeable
Re: Starting an online business

Quote:
View Post
Probably the most important thing in the early stage is to not forget the SVA, as you are obliged to do so. Registering the company only becomes an obligation form 100k Sfr turnover, as said above. This btw. is also the amount where the question of VAT/MWSt. comes up.

If you make less than 100k and still have another day-job, you have to declaire the income through your online business on top of your day-job income as a side business (not sure how to approach this when you are taxed at source in your main job, but the taxt office will be able to tell you and it's not complicated). You can get away with a quite simple book-keeping (table of earning vs. expenses). So overall, the playground is fairly simple below the 100k limit.

Maybe one more aspect to it is, that if your online venture involves a substantial investment and maybe even risk of loosing money, your should look into the GMBH vs. Sole Trade/Einzelfirma question in order to partly protect your private property.
Wow, I didn't know that! So basically if I have a job where I'm not taxed at source I can work outside of that (provided it's not more than 100k a year) and just add the extra amount to my salary when filing a tax declaration? It sounds amazing!

Can someone help me what happens if I'm married and my salary is declared on my husband's tax at source sheet (i.e. he is taxed on both our salaries)? I suppose we'd have to file a complete declaration to be able to add the extra money I would be earning as a freelancer.
__________________
"Nothing is impossible. Some things are just less likely than others."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
internet business, legal advice




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting a business with Permit B Itzik Business & entrepreneur 34 23.07.2015 01:31
Starting a business goombie Business & entrepreneur 3 28.07.2010 00:04
starting my own business tinkie Employment 6 15.06.2010 13:29
employed and starting a business? D-ness Business & entrepreneur 9 14.12.2009 14:58
Starting a new business monikais Business & entrepreneur 4 06.06.2009 14:54


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0