Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Business & entrepreneur  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 27.06.2011, 02:49
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
StefanM has no particular reputation at present
Re: Help for buying a small business in Switzerland

Hi!

I have seen a lot of recommendations of Urs Meisterhans from Sinitus and Thomas Wegmuller and Martin Cavegn. I think they provide advice on investment and tax planning in Switzerland.

So if you know need independent advice check out Urs Meisterhans or the others.

Stefan Melzer
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 27.06.2011, 10:38
armandair
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Help for buying a small business in Switzerland

Is this an advertisement with a company you are linked with?



Quote:
View Post
Hi!

I have seen a lot of recommendations of Urs Meisterhans from Sinitus and Thomas Wegmuller and Martin Cavegn. I think they provide advice on investment and tax planning in Switzerland.

So if you know need independent advice check out Urs Meisterhans or the others.

Stefan Melzer
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 27.06.2011, 11:01
grumpygrapefruit's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 6,400
Groaned at 38 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 17,637 Times in 4,512 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help for buying a small business in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Hi!

I have seen a lot of recommendations of Urs Meisterhans from Sinitus and Thomas Wegmuller and Martin Cavegn. I think they provide advice on investment and tax planning in Switzerland.

So if you know need independent advice check out Urs Meisterhans or the others.

Stefan Melzer
Welcome to the forum

Quote:
View Post
Is this an advertisement with a company you are linked with?
Exactly. And someone else joined the forum at the same time as you, but this time posting a question about Urs Meisterhans. If it's you or one of your colleagues, it's a very blatant form of spamming and does you or your company no credit at all. Allegedly
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 27.06.2011, 12:07
armandair
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Help for buying a small business in Switzerland

If someone needs to do such an ad for his company, it's definitely something not to worry to much about it or waste some second thoughts.

At least it's a sign, that EF is obviously a good market place

Especially for cheese
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 28.06.2011, 14:39
nigelr's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,712
Groaned at 118 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 2,140 Times in 942 Posts
nigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help for buying a small business in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Hi!

I have seen a lot of recommendations of Urs Meisterhans from Sinitus and Thomas Wegmuller and Martin Cavegn. I think they provide advice on investment and tax planning in Switzerland.

So if you know need independent advice check out Urs Meisterhans or the others.

Stefan Melzer
Perhaps you can send a link to these recommendations. Were they also on the forum or in the company newsletter?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09.07.2011, 11:15
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 244
Groaned at 63 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 121 Times in 68 Posts
MarkH is considered unworthyMarkH is considered unworthyMarkH is considered unworthyMarkH is considered unworthy
Re: Help for buying a small business in Switzerland

How about a mobile coffee van?
Something similar to this:-

http://cafe2u.com/uk/franchise-oppor...FXAMtAodF3ZN1Q

Last edited by MarkH; 09.07.2011 at 11:29.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10.07.2011, 20:31
TonyBhoy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lenzburg
Posts: 597
Groaned at 15 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 283 Times in 155 Posts
TonyBhoy has an excellent reputationTonyBhoy has an excellent reputationTonyBhoy has an excellent reputationTonyBhoy has an excellent reputation
Re: Help for buying a small business in Switzerland

Hi there,

i see that there are a lot of people guessing in this post. 50'000 is enough. I started a business with 40'000 of my own cash and a 30'000 loan from the beer brewery. My business turns over enough to pay myself, my wife a full time manager, 2 x 50% part timers and a few staff paid on an hourly basis. Dont approach banks, they will very rarely give money for gastronomie projects, but breweries will.

The biggest problem that i see here, is that your friend does not speak german, so will be unable to attend the required course in order to open a gastronomie business. She needs a license. I cant say 100% that this license is required in every Kanton, but certainly in the majority.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TonyBhoy for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 10.07.2011, 21:14
p42's Avatar
p42 p42 is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kanton Schwyz.
Posts: 840
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 430 Times in 277 Posts
p42 has an excellent reputationp42 has an excellent reputationp42 has an excellent reputationp42 has an excellent reputation
Re: Help for buying a small business in Switzerland

TonyBhoy, thanks for real input. I guess the brewery loan is also tied to beer sales. What is the interest rate like typically?

Does the brewery supply beer tanks, pumps, chillers? Do you rent these from the brewery?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10.07.2011, 21:26
TonyBhoy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lenzburg
Posts: 597
Groaned at 15 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 283 Times in 155 Posts
TonyBhoy has an excellent reputationTonyBhoy has an excellent reputationTonyBhoy has an excellent reputationTonyBhoy has an excellent reputation
Re: Help for buying a small business in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
TonyBhoy, thanks for real input. I guess the brewery loan is also tied to beer sales. What is the interest rate like typically?

Does the brewery supply beer tanks, pumps, chillers? Do you rent these from the brewery?
The interest rate with carlsberg is 5%APR, i think heineken is a little higher at around 7% if i remember right. The loan isnt tied to beer sales, but you must sign a 5 year contract to sell exclusively their products

The brewery will install everything you need to get your beers pouring, but the equipment will always belong to them. Has its benefits though, they will always be there to repair the equipment when required.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TonyBhoy for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 11.07.2011, 09:25
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,849
Groaned at 78 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 4,120 Times in 2,222 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help for buying a small business in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post

The biggest problem that i see here, is that your friend does not speak german, so will be unable to attend the required course in order to open a gastronomie business. She needs a license. I cant say 100% that this license is required in every Kanton, but certainly in the majority.

It's not required in Zurich, apparently:
http://www.wirtekurs.ch/kantonaleregelungen.html

But I would really, highly, absolutely urge anyone (who wants to open an outfit selling food or drinks) to take the course.

We have enough "Grüselbeizen" (dives?) in Zurich already....
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank rainer_d for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 11.07.2011, 09:44
TonyBhoy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lenzburg
Posts: 597
Groaned at 15 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 283 Times in 155 Posts
TonyBhoy has an excellent reputationTonyBhoy has an excellent reputationTonyBhoy has an excellent reputationTonyBhoy has an excellent reputation
Re: Help for buying a small business in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
It's not required in Zurich, apparently:
http://www.wirtekurs.ch/kantonaleregelungen.html

But I would really, highly, absolutely urge anyone (who wants to open an outfit selling food or drinks) to take the course.

We have enough "Grüselbeizen" (dives?) in Zurich already....
Totally agree, the course is not difficult to absolve, but highly informative. Whether its required in zurich or not, when the health inspector comes along, the person running the shop must show that they are applying the hygeine laws in switzerland. If not, then they will be fined and closed down very quickly.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TonyBhoy for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 11.07.2011, 11:12
gata's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3,908
Groaned at 67 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 3,653 Times in 1,711 Posts
gata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help for buying a small business in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Is this an advertisement with a company you are linked with?
No!! How could you think such a thing?!?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 17.07.2011, 14:03
albadream's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lugano
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
albadream has no particular reputation at present
Re: Help for buying a small business in Switzerland

Unfortunately with 50K....you will not be able to start this kind of business....
One of my friends needed 600K to start his own business in the culinary field...
Switzerland is very expansive.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05.12.2011, 12:39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Near vevey
Posts: 414
Groaned at 33 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 256 Times in 139 Posts
onei has annoyed a few people around hereonei has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Help for buying a small business in Switzerland

Deals can always be had here and there but finding a place is not the biggest hurdle you will come across as I found out this morning...

I have just been offered a small restaurant/pizzeria which subject to contract I said yes on, however I have just found out that I may need a diploma (which takes a year to get) to run it or go into business with a Swiss person...

I want to convert this restaurant into a tea room so there is less work involved but for the life of me I cannot find any legal requirement documentation that states what type of diploma I need and if running a tea room needs one

If anyone knows where I could find this information I would be grateful..(English if possible)

If I need to study then there is a good deal up for grabs, if your Greek friend can get a diploma quickly can she cook Scones?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05.12.2011, 13:41
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help for buying a small business in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Deals can always be had here and there but finding a place is not the biggest hurdle you will come across as I found out this morning...

I have just been offered a small restaurant/pizzeria which subject to contract I said yes on, however I have just found out that I may need a diploma (which takes a year to get) to run it or go into business with a Swiss person...

I want to convert this restaurant into a tea room so there is less work involved but for the life of me I cannot find any legal requirement documentation that states what type of diploma I need and if running a tea room needs one

If anyone knows where I could find this information I would be grateful..(English if possible)

If I need to study then there is a good deal up for grabs, if your Greek friend can get a diploma quickly can she cook Scones?

so you're telling us that you found premises before you found out what you needed to get to actually open and run a business. Walk away, you're not ready
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06.12.2011, 12:09
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Near vevey
Posts: 414
Groaned at 33 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 256 Times in 139 Posts
onei has annoyed a few people around hereonei has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Help for buying a small business in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
so you're telling us that you found premises before you found out what you needed to get to actually open and run a business. Walk away, you're not ready
I was offered a dood deal, in my book a deal is a deal, following on from that deal I did find out yesterday that I do not need to go into business with a Swiss or go back to school, I can just hire a person with the correct documentation and they get to hang theirs on the wall.

I invested in a tea room many years ago and it still produces a yield of over 25%+ PA, every tea room I see here in Switzerland seem to be doing well so I will take the gamble, I doubt I will work in it myself but my wife is very keen.

Bring scones to Switzerland with Gruyere cream topped with locally produced jams seems like a workable basis of a good business, being situated in the middle of a fair sized town on a main road makes it an attractive location for local and tourist traffic...

In today's dire economic climate I would rather take a gamble and lose money than give it to the banks to get peanuts, I am a compulsive investor, if a deal doesn't work I work to fix it..If it still doesn't work I write it off safe in the knowledge that it got the best shot I could give.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06.12.2011, 16:29
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,971
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help for buying a small business in Switzerland

You need to look at GastroVaud site and get in touch with them. They have all the details of what you need. If I were there I'd do it with you.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06.12.2011, 16:47
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,894
Groaned at 97 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 1,932 Times in 921 Posts
Anthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help for buying a small business in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I was offered a dood deal, in my book a deal is a deal, following on from that deal I did find out yesterday that I do not need to go into business with a Swiss or go back to school, I can just hire a person with the correct documentation and they get to hang theirs on the wall.

I invested in a tea room many years ago and it still produces a yield of over 25%+ PA, every tea room I see here in Switzerland seem to be doing well so I will take the gamble, I doubt I will work in it myself but my wife is very keen.

Bring scones to Switzerland with Gruyere cream topped with locally produced jams seems like a workable basis of a good business, being situated in the middle of a fair sized town on a main road makes it an attractive location for local and tourist traffic...

In today's dire economic climate I would rather take a gamble and lose money than give it to the banks to get peanuts, I am a compulsive investor, if a deal doesn't work I work to fix it..If it still doesn't work I write it off safe in the knowledge that it got the best shot I could give.

you need a "patente" there are several ones depending on the size of the business, food you serve etc etc. time depends on which one you get you are right in having someone work for you with this patente and that is just fine. But if they leave you cannot continue to run it without the patente.

Be very careful with food businesses here. your cost are so much higher than anywhere else in the world but if you have success you can make lots of money
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06.12.2011, 17:39
TonyBhoy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lenzburg
Posts: 597
Groaned at 15 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 283 Times in 155 Posts
TonyBhoy has an excellent reputationTonyBhoy has an excellent reputationTonyBhoy has an excellent reputationTonyBhoy has an excellent reputation
Re: Help for buying a small business in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Unfortunately with 50K....you will not be able to start this kind of business....
One of my friends needed 600K to start his own business in the culinary field...
Switzerland is very expansive.
Well tell your friend that they were ripped off. The OP has given a coffee shop as an example, for 600'000 they could buy a coffee shop. 50'000 is more than enough if the right premesis is found. Check out my website below, done it all for a grand total of 70'000.-
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 20.12.2011, 16:01
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 130
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 59 Times in 38 Posts
romainesol has earned some respectromainesol has earned some respect
Re: Help for buying a small business in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Is this an advertisement with a company you are linked with?

Yes, it sounds very much like an unsolicited ad :-( in this generally so friendly forum.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switzerland vs Ireland for a small business topolino Business & entrepreneur 14 27.06.2011 11:01
small business partnerships zuriKT Other/general 0 03.12.2008 05:39
Bringing an existing small business to Switzerland tasharain Business & entrepreneur 2 31.05.2008 08:27
Small Business question - cleaning business JenniferD Business & entrepreneur 24 21.04.2008 08:07
Buying a business in Switzerland bergos Business & entrepreneur 13 09.04.2008 16:09


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0