Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Business & entrepreneur  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 24.08.2011, 20:11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 48
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
AndyTWoods has no particular reputation at present
buy laptop in UK, claim back tax in uk airport, pay tax is Switzerland - worth it?

Hi all,

just wondering if it would make sense for me to claim back at the airport the 20% UK VAT of my 650 pound laptop I will be picking up in the UK next week, and then paying Swiss tax.

I guess I can pay tax by declaring it when I walk through customs?

Thanks for your help
Cheers,
Andy.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 24.08.2011, 20:13
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,214
Groaned at 2,453 Times in 1,775 Posts
Thanked 39,298 Times in 18,522 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: buy laptop in UK, claim back tax in uk airport, pay tax is Switzerland - worth it

Quote:
View Post
I guess I can pay tax by declaring it when I walk through customs?
Yes, exactly.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 25.08.2011, 18:47
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 48
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
AndyTWoods has no particular reputation at present
If i recall, i need to prove i have lived outside the uk for over half the last financial year? Perhaps i am wrong.

Would people know if it is worth it financially to do this? Minus 20% uk vat but then add on swiss tax (5ish%) but i think there is also a fee for this?

Sorry, i am so bad at financial issues!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 25.08.2011, 18:57
Caviarchips's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Basel Stadt
Posts: 3,979
Groaned at 99 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 6,677 Times in 2,388 Posts
Caviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond repute
Re: buy laptop in UK, claim back tax in uk airport, pay tax is Switzerland - worth it

You'll get 73 back, then pay 7% in Switzerland (46 or so) so net you'll be 25 better off.....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 25.08.2011, 19:31
HippoPat's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Schaffhausen
Posts: 29
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
HippoPat has no particular reputation at present
Re: buy laptop in UK, claim back tax in uk airport, pay tax is Switzerland - worth it

Quote:
View Post
Hi all,

just wondering if it would make sense for me to claim back at the airport the 20% UK VAT of my 650 pound laptop I will be picking up in the UK next week, and then paying Swiss tax.

I guess I can pay tax by declaring it when I walk through customs?

Thanks for your help
Cheers,
Andy.
I tried to do this for some phones I bought in the UK, but the shops were useless (Apple store, O2, etc) and wouldn't complete the necessary forms (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/c...visitors.htm#2) to allow me to claim the VAT back at the airport. Buying stuff in duty free then paying the tax when you arrive at Swiss customs is far easier. However, the discounts the shops in airports give never seems to be the normal price minus VAT - maybe the rent on airport shops is especially high or they just want to make more money.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 25.08.2011, 20:11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Rheinfelden
Posts: 485
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 183 Times in 121 Posts
Bexie has an excellent reputationBexie has an excellent reputationBexie has an excellent reputationBexie has an excellent reputation
Re: buy laptop in UK, claim back tax in uk airport, pay tax is Switzerland - worth it

Quote:
View Post
I tried to do this for some phones I bought in the UK, but the shops were useless (Apple store, O2, etc) and wouldn't complete the necessary forms (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/c...visitors.htm#2) to allow me to claim the VAT back at the airport. Buying stuff in duty free then paying the tax when you arrive at Swiss customs is far easier. However, the discounts the shops in airports give never seems to be the normal price minus VAT - maybe the rent on airport shops is especially high or they just want to make more money.

Airport shops are notoriously expensive...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 25.08.2011, 21:20
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,471
Groaned at 17 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,996 Times in 1,189 Posts
CH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond repute
Re: buy laptop in UK, claim back tax in uk airport, pay tax is Switzerland - worth it

My other half ordered a laptop with an English keyboard and we picked it up in the UK.

The shop gave us a form for the VAT claim and we had to get this stamped on departure and posted it back to the shop. We were flying from City airport and thankfully we found out beforehand that we couldn't get the form stamped before the departure gate because City airport didn't have a counter before departure. We ended up going to Gatwick just to get the form stamped.

Last edited by CH_Me; 25.08.2011 at 21:33.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 25.08.2011, 21:41
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
View Post
My other half ordered a laptop with an English keyboard and we picked it up in the UK.

The shop gave us a form for the VAT claim and we had to get this stamped on departure and posted it back to the shop. We were flying from City airport and thankfully we found out beforehand that we couldn't get the form stamped before the departure gate because City airport didn't have a counter before departure. We ended up going to Gatwick just to get the form stamped.
There is a letterbox to put the form in, same at Stanstead!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26.08.2011, 07:30
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 48
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
AndyTWoods has no particular reputation at present
Many thanks for this discussion you have saved me quite a headache with this. Cheers, Andy
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 26.08.2011, 09:21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Asia
Posts: 413
Groaned at 20 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 103 Times in 58 Posts
Mr Happy has earned some respectMr Happy has earned some respect
Re: buy laptop in UK, claim back tax in uk airport, pay tax is Switzerland - worth it

I'd suggest that many people would get their tax off leaving UK and lose the bag, box and packing when entering CH. #73 better off!

Of course how long you queue and the follow up 'agency' charges may make all of this not worth while.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 26.08.2011, 10:07
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,191
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,781 Times in 704 Posts
ceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond repute
Re: buy laptop in UK, claim back tax in uk airport, pay tax is Switzerland - worth it

Quote:
View Post
I'd suggest that many people would get their tax off leaving UK and lose the bag, box and packing when entering CH. #73 better off!

Of course how long you queue and the follow up 'agency' charges may make all of this not worth while.
You don't even have to post the stamped form back to the supplier.
You can get the vat back in cash at the airport.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank ceppych for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Uk Resident working in Switzerland - UK tax apacuk Finance/banking/taxation 3 03.05.2011 17:00
I work for a UK company but moving to Switzerland. Which country do I pay income tax? Guest Finance/banking/taxation 10 01.02.2011 23:44
Tax back for mortgage payments in the UK Bugot Finance/banking/taxation 5 16.08.2009 12:22
Is it worth it to buy a house in Switzerland? esto Housing in general 47 20.01.2009 23:04
shall I buy laptop in UK or Switzerland? ricardos General off-topic 20 17.07.2008 17:38


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0