Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Business & entrepreneur  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03.06.2012, 14:22
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Borga has no particular reputation at present
Rolling Workshop, taxation abroad ?


I currently looking into transforming a bus in to a rolling workshop. I'm a artist producing sculptures. I would like to have a rolling atelier that i can put up anywhere and get inspired. Geneva ain't much fun in the winter, would be nice to go to the south of Spain or Italy for 3-4month. And then return to Switzerland and sell the products here.

My question is, how is with the tax aspect. If i produce a "product" in a another country, but selling it here in Switzerland.
When I'm abroad i will have no income and won't be selling anything. Basically a tourist during a hobby.
Do i have to pay tax in the country abroad or only here in Switzerland where my company is registered ?

And how is it for passing the borders with a product that has no value until it sold?

A painter don't pay anything if he takes a holiday somewhere and paint picture. Then he roles it together, goes home and sell it for 20.000chf.
Of course he have to pay income takes where he lives.

Is my situation the same?
Reply With Quote
Old 03.07.2012, 11:45
Newbie 1st class
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
richykoch has earned some respectrichykoch has earned some respect
Re: Rolling Workshop, taxation abroad ?


Saw you had no replys, I am not an expert in this area but can share a similar experience with customs and import and tell you what I would do in your situation.

First of all, do you have a company structure? i.e. gmbh, sole trader? If not, then I wouldn't worry about it. To the authorities you are just a private individual going to France to paint pictures.

If you do have a legal structure I would suggest you talk to the country from which you are exporting and the country to which you are importing.

So say you go to holiday in France, go speak to the French Customs authority and tell them your situation and ask them for advice. Then do the same with the Swiss Authorities. They are surprisingly helpful and can probably address your concerns. If that doesnt work, go to a reputable art dealer, introduce yourself and ask them. They will probably be more sympathetic and knowledgeable.

My guess would be that they will not be interested in you, or if they are then the only way to value your creations are at the cost of the input product, and if the input product has been used (i.e. transformed into art) then you are technically not importing that either.

Good luck...hope this helps your thinking on the matter somewhat.

Cheers mate

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank richykoch for this useful post:

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Change-Workshop/Musical Workshop In Basel elelow Commercial 3 30.01.2012 13:46
Change-Workshop/Musical Workshop In Basel - starts 2.2.12 elelow Commercial events 0 25.01.2012 01:21
Rolling over capital gain Caviarchips Finance/banking/taxation 3 21.10.2011 19:57
Cheese rolling cancelled! Guest International affairs/politics 43 06.06.2011 20:40
Taxation on property abroad SWISSMISS143 Finance/banking/taxation 10 03.12.2007 17:26

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:36.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0