English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Business & entrepreneur (https://www.englishforum.ch/business-entrepreneur/)
-   -   Are you using Twint? (https://www.englishforum.ch/business-entrepreneur/275087-you-using-twint.html)

Alberose 25.09.2017 11:28

Are you using Twint?
 
What is Twint exactly? Are you using it? Any safe precaution should take?

gbn 25.09.2017 11:34

Re: Are you using Twint?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberose (Post 2851803)
What is Twint exactly? Are you using it? Any safe precaution should take?

It's an amusing twist on the word "Twunt", which is a portmanteau of 2 strong Anglo-Saxon expletives

For the hard of hearing or non-native speakers


I use it often.
Precautions: make sure HR aren't in earshot.

Blueangel 25.09.2017 11:35

Re: Are you using Twint?
 
Not using it and don't intend to use it in the near future.

22 yards 25.09.2017 11:47

Re: Are you using Twint?
 
I really don't understand the benefit, if any. What does Twint allow me to do that I can't do with my Maestro or credit card (or Samsung Pay/ Apple Pay, for that matter)?

AbFab 25.09.2017 11:55

Re: Are you using Twint?
 
Itís a contactless payment system that many Swiss shops have, but it cannot be used outside Switzerland.

It avoids having to enter a pin and uses a smart phone rather than a card.

However it is limited to transactions under CHF 40 - or it never worked for me above this.

Quite why this is better than a contactless card, I donít know...

John_H 25.09.2017 12:01

Re: Are you using Twint?
 
It's because the local cartels don't want apple pay..


But TWuNT is exactly what i was thinking too.

Guest 25.09.2017 12:28

Re: Are you using Twint?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AbFab (Post 2851815)
Itís a contactless payment system that many Swiss shops have, but it cannot be used outside Switzerland.

It avoids having to enter a pin and uses a smart phone rather than a card.

However it is limited to transactions under CHF 40 - or it never worked for me above this.

Quite why this is better than a contactless card, I donít know...

We started using it recently because we got a voucher as a sort of incentive :rolleyes:

It's surprisingly useful, from what we've seen. I'm not sure the limit is set as low as CHF 40 as we've been able to pay for stuff at higher costs.

You can also transfer cash to other people's accounts if you need to, which is also has its uses if you owe someone for tickets or a round of drinks. They don't need to be Twint users.

Don't know if we'll continue to use it more than occasionally once the novelty has worn off but so far it seems OK.

Squeeeez 25.09.2017 12:30

Re: Are you using Twint?
 
No.
I was using paymit sometimes to transfer money from phone to phone.
But then they stamped that into the ground, so...

Dark Blue 25.09.2017 12:41

Re: Are you using Twint?
 
I am using samsung pay but i must say I am still not very comfortable with paying via mobile due to security concerns. I mean, can somebody just make a remote connection and rob me? probably yes.

Alberose 25.09.2017 12:55

Re: Are you using Twint?
 
Security is my prime concern, too. Why I posted this is because when I tried to book a concert ticket online, Twint was the only payment method which incurs no extra charges.

Guest 25.09.2017 13:01

Re: Are you using Twint?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 22 yards (Post 2851811)
I really don't understand the benefit, if any. What does Twint allow me to do that I can't do with my Maestro or credit card (or Samsung Pay/ Apple Pay, for that matter)?

Get more points at Coop this month :P

Meerkat33 25.09.2017 13:49

Re: Are you using Twint?
 
If you have a contactless credit card it's kinda useless imho. But it works in places where they don't accept credit cards. I guess it's meant for people that only live with the maestro/postcard and don't have contactless. I find it very annoying that it only works via bluetooth and not NFC.
I would say it's safe, UBS and Postfinance are behind it.

22 yards 25.09.2017 13:58

Re: Are you using Twint?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meerkat33 (Post 2851861)
I find it very annoying that it only works via bluetooth and not NFC.

Count me out, then. Bluetooth is the worst drain on my phone's battery. In the time it takes me to fiddle with my phone to switch Bluetooth on and back off again, I may as well fish out my wallet—which I don't even have to open to use my contactless credit card.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meerkat33
I would say it's safe, UBS and Postfinance are behind it.

:rofl: UBS... that bastion of security...


blueturtle 25.09.2017 14:08

Re: Are you using Twint?
 
I use my credit card (contactless upto 40 CHF) mostly.

But I also use TWINT due to below benifits.

1. When you dont carry your wallet (running or biking) you can still buy just with your phone.
2. You can transfer money quickly to friends. If you link your UBS account, the limit is much higher.
3. You dont need to carry your supercard (coop) to get the points.
4. Some online shops (Galaxus) do not charge a fee if you pay with Twint.
5. It is free (no fee)
6. You can pay even if your phone has no network connection (upto a limit)

TWINT and PAYMIT merged into one recently. I expect more benifits will be added soon.

Urs Max 25.09.2017 14:25

Re: Are you using Twint?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_h (Post 2851818)
it's because the local cartels don't want to pay royalties for the apple pay monopoly..

ftfy

Treverus 25.09.2017 14:28

Re: Are you using Twint?
 
So it's for people who only shop locally and only have friends in Switzerland who ideally all bank with UBS? I guess I pass.

Squeeeez 25.09.2017 14:31

Re: Are you using Twint?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meerkat33 (Post 2851861)
If you have a contactless credit card it's kinda useless imho. But it works in places where they don't accept credit cards. I guess it's meant for people that only live with the maestro/postcard and don't have contactless.

postcard does have a contactless chip.

Quote:

I find it very annoying that it only works via bluetooth and not NFC.
bluetooth is not safe at the moment. better disable it permanently.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/bluetoo...vices-at-risk/

no need to pair or anything. just enable bluetooth and have your phone taken over.

Quote:

I would say it's safe, UBS and Postfinance are behind it.
You made me spill my coffee with that line. :eek: Hope you're not serious!
https://events.ccc.de/congress/2006/...Smart_Card.pdf

proshut 25.09.2017 14:41

Re: Are you using Twint?
 
I mainly use it to send money to friends, etc. I find it easier than log-in to my bank account.

Blueangel 25.09.2017 14:47

Re: Are you using Twint?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeeeez (Post 2851882)
bluetooth is not safe at the moment. better disable it permanently.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/bluetoo...vices-at-risk/

no need to pair or anything. just enable bluetooth and have your phone taken over.

You made me spill my coffee with that line. :eek: Hope you're not serious!
https://events.ccc.de/congress/2006/...Smart_Card.pdf

About 5yrs ago, my partner was working as a tester for contactless payment systems and mobile online banking apps with a major International bank. As a result, he refuses to use either.

dandi 25.09.2017 15:46

Re: Are you using Twint?
 
Quote:

Quite why this is better than a contactless card, I donít know...
I suspect it's less costly for the merchant than a credit card transaction. I would not see another reason why Coop, Migros and al would push it so much under one's nose at checkout if there was no money in for them

Now I don't see why I as a consumer I should prefer it to a credit card - in principle the CC should offer me more protection, bonus points, etc.

For personal peer-to-peer transactions there's other systems such as Revolut that are more international...


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:02.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0