Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Business & entrepreneur  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09.02.2020, 20:14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: winterthur
Posts: 56
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
kosalan has no particular reputation at present
any e commerce owners here for a chat ?

Hello everyone .

i just want to make sure and clear my doubts about running a e commerce shop . for that , im looking for a e commerce business owner who is shipping outside and inside of Switzerland . so we can meet and talk about my doubts .

is anyone who is willing to help me out in this point ?

thank you everyone in advance .

best regards
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10.02.2020, 13:17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 94
Groaned at 12 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 10 Posts
Helena Paris has earned some respectHelena Paris has earned some respect
Re: any e commerce owners here for a chat ?

I am just starting, but I took some courses and have some experience, what do you need to know, any specific worries ?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10.02.2020, 14:25
grumpygrapefruit's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zuriwest
Posts: 6,166
Groaned at 37 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 16,281 Times in 4,253 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: any e commerce owners here for a chat ?

I run one, but shipping only within CH.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank grumpygrapefruit for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 10.02.2020, 19:19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: winterthur
Posts: 56
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
kosalan has no particular reputation at present
Re: any e commerce owners here for a chat ?

Quote:
View Post
I am just starting, but I took some courses and have some experience, what do you need to know, any specific worries ?
thank you for replay , i wanna know about tax ,also about shipping inside of Switzerland ,also out side of Switzerland . also do you use Swiss post for anything ? i have some doubts like this . and i have almost finished with my online shop design ,and also products .

and please ,did you take courses here in Switzerland ?if yes , can i know where please ?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10.02.2020, 21:50
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: winterthur
Posts: 56
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
kosalan has no particular reputation at present
Re: any e commerce owners here for a chat ?

Quote:
View Post
I run one, but shipping only within CH.
thank you for the replay .what about taxes within CH?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10.02.2020, 23:26
grumpygrapefruit's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zuriwest
Posts: 6,166
Groaned at 37 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 16,281 Times in 4,253 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: any e commerce owners here for a chat ?

Quote:
View Post
thank you for the replay .what about taxes within CH?
What taxes are you referring to?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank grumpygrapefruit for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 11.02.2020, 10:56
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 94
Groaned at 12 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 10 Posts
Helena Paris has earned some respectHelena Paris has earned some respect
Re: any e commerce owners here for a chat ?

Quote:
View Post
thank you for replay , i wanna know about tax ,also about shipping inside of Switzerland ,also out side of Switzerland . also do you use Swiss post for anything ? i have some doubts like this . and i have almost finished with my online shop design ,and also products .

and please ,did you take courses here in Switzerland ?if yes , can i know where please ?
Yes I am planning to use the post (for now I will ship my products myself) but in the next couple of months, I will use the business and wharehousing and storage solutions service of the post.Basically you give them your inventory, they store it and ship it directly to your customers.I know there are lots of third part services like this but I don't trust them, and for me it's better to trust the swiss post.
Check this out: https://www.post.ch/en/business-solu...sing-logistics

For taxes, there is of course the 8% VAT, and then I have chosen to use the services of an agency to do all my taxes, also to clear customs and importations process.
Let's keep in touch I'll tell you more as I move on
Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11.02.2020, 11:05
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 325
Groaned at 24 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 308 Times in 164 Posts
Rjellsch has earned the respect of manyRjellsch has earned the respect of manyRjellsch has earned the respect of many
Re: any e commerce owners here for a chat ?

Things which are significant in my experience.

What type of volume are you anticipating?

How consistent are your shipping needs? Large, bulky packages. Lightweight mailers. Flat envelopes??

Have you considered the amount and types of packing material you will be using?

Is there an existing business whose shipping model you could copy?

There are continuous optimizations which can be made to increase efficiency, however they are usually dependent on other aspects of the business.

I’d also speculate that unless you grossly miscalculate, your initial shipping solutions will not be the primary driver of success or failure.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11.02.2020, 21:09
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: winterthur
Posts: 56
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
kosalan has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
What taxes are you referring to?
i mean , if you sell inside of CH .. do i need to take tax[VAT] ? because i heard ,we do not need to pay taxes till we reach 100 K in a year , if yes ,should i take tax from buyers ? also if i take tax , should i pay it for GOV before i make 100K ? because i really have no idea in this 2 point . [shipping and taxes ] .

Quote:
View Post
Yes I am planning to use the post (for now I will ship my products myself) but in the next couple of months, I will use the business and wharehousing and storage solutions service of the post.Basically you give them your inventory, they store it and ship it directly to your customers.I know there are lots of third part services like this but I don't trust them, and for me it's better to trust the swiss post.
Check this out: https://www.post.ch/en/business-solu...sing-logistics

For taxes, there is of course the 8% VAT, and then I have chosen to use the services of an agency to do all my taxes, also to clear customs and importations process.
Let's keep in touch I'll tell you more as I move on
Cheers
sure yes ,and im gonna rent my own warehouse ,i think better if i go also with an agency for taxes .8% Vat for inside of CH or also outside of CH ?? i mean in Europe countries ?

Quote:
View Post
Things which are significant in my experience.

What type of volume are you anticipating?

How consistent are your shipping needs? Large, bulky packages. Lightweight mailers. Flat envelopes??

Have you considered the amount and types of packing material you will be using?

Is there an existing business whose shipping model you could copy?

There are continuous optimizations which can be made to increase efficiency, however they are usually dependent on other aspects of the business.

I’d also speculate that unless you grossly miscalculate, your initial shipping solutions will not be the primary driver of success or failure.
yes you are right , thats why i want talk with some E-Commerce peoples about it.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 11.02.2020 at 21:24. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12.02.2020, 09:28
grumpygrapefruit's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zuriwest
Posts: 6,166
Groaned at 37 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 16,281 Times in 4,253 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: any e commerce owners here for a chat ?

Quote:
View Post
i mean , if you sell inside of CH .. do i need to take tax[VAT] ? because i heard ,we do not need to pay taxes till we reach 100 K in a year , if yes ,should i take tax from buyers ? also if i take tax , should i pay it for GOV before i make 100K ? because i really have no idea in this 2 point . [shipping and taxes ] .

.
You really need to see an accountant because there is so much you don't understand. Is your company set up yet? Are you registered as self employed or do have a GmbH?
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank grumpygrapefruit for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 12.02.2020, 18:46
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: winterthur
Posts: 56
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
kosalan has no particular reputation at present
Re: any e commerce owners here for a chat ?

Quote:
View Post
You really need to see an accountant because there is so much you don't understand. Is your company set up yet? Are you registered as self employed or do have a GmbH?
yes , i need to see .and right now it is Self Employed .
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12.02.2020, 21:15
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 11,776
Groaned at 177 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 16,899 Times in 6,873 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: any e commerce owners here for a chat ?

Yeah. You really really do need to.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 13.02.2020, 17:34
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: winterthur
Posts: 56
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
kosalan has no particular reputation at present
Re: any e commerce owners here for a chat ?

Quote:
View Post
Yeah. You really really do need to.
yes .i will make an appointment
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 13.02.2020, 18:02
grumpygrapefruit's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zuriwest
Posts: 6,166
Groaned at 37 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 16,281 Times in 4,253 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: any e commerce owners here for a chat ?

Quote:
View Post
yes .i will make an appointment
OK, I'll give you some starter tips.

You don't charge MwsT (VAT) to anyone until you can register for MwsT. And you can only do that if your sales are over 100,000 CHF in a year (or in some circumstances you can prove to the tax people that your sales will top 100,000 in the coming year).

Once registered for MwsT you can deduct the MwsT you pay on supplies and services against what you charge your customers, so it does bring your overheads down a little. And afterwards, in most cases you still don't charge MwsT to export customers.

But really, go and see an accountant, a few hundred chuffs spent now on getting your accounts set up properly could save you a lot of hassle later on.
__________________
Mike

Monger of fine British Cheeses
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank grumpygrapefruit for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 13.02.2020, 20:39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: winterthur
Posts: 56
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
kosalan has no particular reputation at present
Re: any e commerce owners here for a chat ?

Quote:
View Post
OK, I'll give you some starter tips.

You don't charge MwsT (VAT) to anyone until you can register for MwsT. And you can only do that if your sales are over 100,000 CHF in a year (or in some circumstances you can prove to the tax people that your sales will top 100,000 in the coming year).

Once registered for MwsT you can deduct the MwsT you pay on supplies and services against what you charge your customers, so it does bring your overheads down a little. And afterwards, in most cases you still don't charge MwsT to export customers.

But really, go and see an accountant, a few hundred chuffs spent now on getting your accounts set up properly could save you a lot of hassle later on.
thank you mate ,you almost clear my doubts .and yes im gonna meet an accountant . also now i need to figure out about custom [outside of CH ]
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank kosalan for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 14.02.2020, 09:49
grumpygrapefruit's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zuriwest
Posts: 6,166
Groaned at 37 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 16,281 Times in 4,253 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: any e commerce owners here for a chat ?

Quote:
View Post
thank you mate ,you almost clear my doubts .and yes im gonna meet an accountant . also now i need to figure out about custom [outside of CH ]
That has nothing to do with you, it's your customers who will have to pay that, and it will vary depending on the country and what products (and how much) you are sending.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 16.02.2020, 21:38
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: winterthur
Posts: 56
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
kosalan has no particular reputation at present
Re: any e commerce owners here for a chat ?

Quote:
View Post
That has nothing to do with you, it's your customers who will have to pay that, and it will vary depending on the country and what products (and how much) you are sending.
oh then im almost clear with my doubts .thank you all mates .great
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question for dog owners or pet owners in general ronzurich Pet corner 21 21.12.2011 13:41
We do web , we do commerce soulfullofmusic_harpal Commercial 0 14.06.2011 10:50
Cat owners smarter than dog owners Castro International affairs/politics 7 16.02.2010 18:28
French in 'Registre du commerce' markowl Language corner 1 27.01.2008 17:09
Geneva Chamber of Commerce Waleed Business & entrepreneur 5 25.09.2007 13:00


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0