Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Business & entrepreneur  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 28.02.2021, 13:46
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
SpacePanda has no particular reputation at present
Changing to Self-Employed... can I "live" in my office?

Hi everyone


I'm new here and looking for some feedback on whether my idea would pose any issues for me. I am from the UK and living in ZH on a B permit.

I was employed full time however due to the economic situation with covid I will be let go in a few months. I have since chosen a new path of self-employment.

I will be renting office space where I will setup my IT operations. I will have to put in a significant amount of hours work into the business. My plan is to live between the office and my vehicle for the first year to save the costs from renting my apartment.

Is it possible to use my office address as my home address? I'm concerned the Gemeinde will have it flagged as a commercial property?


I'd welcome any ideas and feedback.


Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 28.02.2021, 14:53
kri's Avatar
kri kri is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,737
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,464 Times in 762 Posts
kri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing to Self-Employed... can I "live" in my office?

Quote:
View Post
Hi everyone


I'm new here and looking for some feedback on whether my idea would pose any issues for me. I am from the UK and living in ZH on a B permit.

I was employed full time however due to the economic situation with covid I will be let go in a few months. I have since chosen a new path of self-employment.

I will be renting office space where I will setup my IT operations. I will have to put in a significant amount of hours work into the business. My plan is to live between the office and my vehicle for the first year to save the costs from renting my apartment.

Is it possible to use my office address as my home address? I'm concerned the Gemeinde will have it flagged as a commercial property?


I'd welcome any ideas and feedback.


Thank you!
Is your office space a "Laden"? Does it even have shower/kitchen facilities? I think a lot will depend on this and whether you have a living space. Also if you do this might be difficult to deduct rent from profit as at least partially it's a living space. I am wondering if not better to rent a room in a shared flat for a while?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28.02.2021, 15:56
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 30,741
Groaned at 2,214 Times in 1,647 Posts
Thanked 36,966 Times in 17,503 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing to Self-Employed... can I "live" in my office?

If it's commercial property, then no.

We tried it once, did not fly.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 28.02.2021, 16:15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
SpacePanda has no particular reputation at present
Re: Changing to Self-Employed... can I "live" in my office?

Quote:
View Post
If it's commercial property, then no.

We tried it once, did not fly.

Tom
I appreciate your feedback, thanks. I'll have to work some other option I think then...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank SpacePanda for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 28.02.2021, 16:20
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
SpacePanda has no particular reputation at present
Re: Changing to Self-Employed... can I "live" in my office?

Quote:
View Post
Is your office space a "Laden"? Does it even have shower/kitchen facilities? I think a lot will depend on this and whether you have a living space. Also if you do this might be difficult to deduct rent from profit as at least partially it's a living space. I am wondering if not better to rent a room in a shared flat for a while?
My workspace will be either an office or a workshop / small industrial unit. The computer equipment I'll be running makes a lot noise (from fans) so many of the normal offices aren't suitable. I've not seen anything advertised with "Laden", I will have a look to see if something has the combined living area.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28.02.2021, 16:23
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 30,741
Groaned at 2,214 Times in 1,647 Posts
Thanked 36,966 Times in 17,503 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing to Self-Employed... can I "live" in my office?

Quote:
View Post
I appreciate your feedback, thanks. I'll have to work some other option I think then...
Note that this does NOT mean that you cannot sleep there, you just cannot be registered as living there.

Solution is to find a friend that will let you "live" with them, even if in reality you spend all your time in the office.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 28.02.2021, 16:57
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 30,741
Groaned at 2,214 Times in 1,647 Posts
Thanked 36,966 Times in 17,503 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing to Self-Employed... can I "live" in my office?

P.S. This is not just a foreigner thing, my girlfriend (now wife) is Swiss and tried it, no go if it is registered as commercial.

However, the place I rented for four years was an attic room, with no kitchen and a floor bath (the other guy was there like 2x year for a few days), and that was fine.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 28.02.2021, 17:03
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
SpacePanda has no particular reputation at present
Re: Changing to Self-Employed... can I "live" in my office?

Quote:
View Post
Note that this does NOT mean that you cannot sleep there, you just cannot be registered as living there.

Solution is to find a friend that will let you "live" with them, even if in reality you spend all your time in the office.

Tom
Thanks Tom, I think so too, there's nothing harmful in putting in long nightshifts like Bezos etc, just have to be smart about it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank SpacePanda for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 28.02.2021, 17:17
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 30,741
Groaned at 2,214 Times in 1,647 Posts
Thanked 36,966 Times in 17,503 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing to Self-Employed... can I "live" in my office?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks Tom, I think so too, there's nothing harmful in putting in long nightshifts like Bezos etc, just have to be smart about it.
The thing is that you need an "official" residence, which can simply be a letter signed by a friend that you are living there (which is what we did in gf/wife's case).

Where you physically spend your time is another matter.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 28.02.2021, 18:51
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,061
Groaned at 43 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 1,899 Times in 723 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing to Self-Employed... can I "live" in my office?

Why not run your IT business from your house or flat? Are you expecting many visitors?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 28.02.2021, 20:09
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 855
Groaned at 130 Times in 67 Posts
Thanked 924 Times in 441 Posts
DerDieDas has a reputation beyond reputeDerDieDas has a reputation beyond reputeDerDieDas has a reputation beyond reputeDerDieDas has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing to Self-Employed... can I "live" in my office?

Quote:
View Post
Why not run your IT business from your house or flat? Are you expecting many visitors?
OP says:

The computer equipment I'll be running makes a lot noise (from fans) so many of the normal offices aren't suitable.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank DerDieDas for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 28.02.2021, 20:14
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,061
Groaned at 43 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 1,899 Times in 723 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing to Self-Employed... can I "live" in my office?

Quote:
View Post
OP says:

The computer equipment I'll be running makes a lot noise (from fans) so many of the normal offices aren't suitable.

It was just an idea as modern concrete flats ($) have solid sound insulation that can easily deal with loud fan/server noise.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 28.02.2021, 20:15
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,601
Groaned at 77 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 11,225 Times in 4,564 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing to Self-Employed... can I "live" in my office?

There's some related info in this thread (and others to which it links) about what counts and does not count, as a place of residence, and checks that may be made by the authorities, to see if you're doing what you say you're doing.
https://www.englishforum.ch/permits-...le-abroad.html
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 28.02.2021, 20:17
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 5,264
Groaned at 92 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 5,657 Times in 2,600 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing to Self-Employed... can I "live" in my office?

Quote:
View Post
P.S. This is not just a foreigner thing, my girlfriend (now wife) is Swiss and tried it, no go if it is registered as commercial.
How do Swiss people/authorities deal with registration if they for instance become homeless, or decide on a lifestyle that doesn’t have a fixed address?

Obviously not an option for foreigners as having a place to live is a permit requirement, but this just got me wondering about Swiss without an address.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 28.02.2021, 20:21
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 30,741
Groaned at 2,214 Times in 1,647 Posts
Thanked 36,966 Times in 17,503 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing to Self-Employed... can I "live" in my office?

Quote:
View Post
How do Swiss people/authorities deal with registration if they for instance become homeless, or decide on a lifestyle that doesn’t have a fixed address?

Obviously not an option for foreigners as having a place to live is a permit requirement, but this just got me wondering about Swiss without an address.
Not possible.

Last address in such cases.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 28.02.2021, 20:23
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,349
Groaned at 205 Times in 162 Posts
Thanked 7,065 Times in 3,152 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing to Self-Employed... can I "live" in my office?

Quote:
View Post
I'm new here and looking for some feedback on whether my idea would pose any issues for me. I am from the UK and living in ZH on a B permit.

What are the regulations now for a Non EU citizen to become self-employed?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 28.02.2021, 20:36
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 5,264
Groaned at 92 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 5,657 Times in 2,600 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing to Self-Employed... can I "live" in my office?

Quote:
View Post
What are the regulations now for a Non EU citizen to become self-employed?
Same as pre-Brexit of you were already here.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Island Monkey for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 28.02.2021, 20:53
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,601
Groaned at 77 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 11,225 Times in 4,564 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing to Self-Employed... can I "live" in my office?

Quote:
View Post
How do Swiss people/authorities deal with registration if they for instance become homeless, or decide on a lifestyle that doesn’t have a fixed address?

Obviously not an option for foreigners as having a place to live is a permit requirement, but this just got me wondering about Swiss without an address.
In some municipalities it is possible to register as being c/o the municipality. This is then a postal address, and an official way to reach the person. Other municipalities do not allow this.
One way to prevent a cascade of problems of missing post, etc., is to work hard at getting as many people, companies, institutions, etc. with whom one ordinarily deals, to agree to correspond electronically. That way, those people would still reach the person, and probably not even know, at least for a while, that they had no fixed address. This still does not, however, deal with the problem of needing an official address.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 28.02.2021, 21:01
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 30,741
Groaned at 2,214 Times in 1,647 Posts
Thanked 36,966 Times in 17,503 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing to Self-Employed... can I "live" in my office?

Quote:
View Post
What are the regulations now for a Non EU citizen to become self-employed?
Depends on the permit.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 28.02.2021, 21:36
kri's Avatar
kri kri is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,737
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,464 Times in 762 Posts
kri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing to Self-Employed... can I "live" in my office?

Quote:
View Post
My workspace will be either an office or a workshop / small industrial unit. The computer equipment I'll be running makes a lot noise (from fans) so many of the normal offices aren't suitable. I've not seen anything advertised with "Laden", I will have a look to see if something has the combined living area.

Thanks
Laden is what the office space is called for us (as opposed to "Wohnung"). In the Laden we have no kitchen and only a toilet, no shower etc. Hence cannot live there. Could sleep there occasionally but not meant as a living space.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank kri for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Notifying "tax"/import office when leaving Neuchatel jullee Leaving Switzerland 4 19.01.2016 08:16
Being employed and having a "Einzelfirma" at the same time? maxiii Business & entrepreneur 12 21.11.2014 13:20
Big office supplies store or "Office Depot" in Geneva greengrass10 Business & entrepreneur 4 21.03.2014 21:51
Changing from tax "at source" to "ordinary" - what to expect & when kiwigeek Finance/banking/taxation 4 23.11.2011 11:25
Anyone interested in "changing" his flat in Uitikon area for mine in Rigiblick??? Jmavatar Housing in general 0 12.06.2008 16:56


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0