Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Business & entrepreneur
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 20.03.2007, 09:54
ama's Avatar
ama ama is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: in/around Zug
Posts: 72
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 54 Times in 27 Posts
ama has no particular reputation at present
Re: Starting a business in Switzerland.

Quote:
View Post
... and I will modify mine:

This is true, unless you have something or a special talent that the locals want or need
please, tell us!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 20.03.2007, 15:56
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,183
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 77 Times in 72 Posts
danny has earned some respectdanny has earned some respect
Re: Starting a business in Switzerland.

you said it !

Quote:
View Post
... and I will modify mine:

This is true, unless you have something or a special talent that the locals want or need
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 21.03.2007, 08:07
Scott's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Buchs SG
Posts: 1,203
Groaned at 30 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 694 Times in 355 Posts
Scott has an excellent reputationScott has an excellent reputationScott has an excellent reputationScott has an excellent reputation
Re: Starting a business in Switzerland.

Quote:
View Post
please, tell us!
... can't tell you something you don't already know (or, at least, is common sense).

A few years back, for the Olympics, the Swiss gave a passport to an Asian guy that was married to a Swiss because he was good in gymnastics.... he did well and put Switzerland on the Gymnastics Map. Haven't heard much about him lately.

Real simple, if you are Superwoman or Spiderman... then you have a special talent that the Swiss want to keep for themselves. THEN you receive special handling and benefits. Till then, you are just plain old Joe or Jane that MUST use the typical Swiss way of getting things done... slow and expensive.

One last comment, I am not complaining. It is just a matter of planning your actions with enough time to spare and leaving enough budget for the costs. I am here, and I love it! Wouldn't want to be anywhere else!

Keep smiling!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 31.03.2007, 13:43
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: basel
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
onda has no particular reputation at present
how to open a busines

Any idea how to open a business
what is required
Paperwork
someone has an idea
im based in basel and planiing to deal with UAE (United Arab Emirates)

Thanks

onda
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 28.05.2007, 12:24
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ch
Posts: 2,291
Groaned at 37 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 1,623 Times in 836 Posts
gooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: how to open a busines

Quote:
View Post
Any idea how to open a business
what is required
Paperwork
someone has an idea
im based in basel and planiing to deal with UAE (United Arab Emirates)

Thanks

onda
Did you read all of the post above this with all the links provided. It seems you are asking a rather broad question without having done your own homework. My apologies if I am wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05.06.2007, 11:22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Zurich Affoltern
Posts: 56
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
marish has no particular reputation at present
Re: Starting a business in Switzerland.

Hi All,

My husband and his partner (both Asian with B Permit) just managed to open up a GmBH for a restaurant.
We found out from a friend a very cool consultant site www.workpermit.ch. Apparently this consultant has very good contact with the immigrations etc.
So, before you proceed any further just provide copy of your Permit to this firm and they can check for you and tell you immediately if you can be self-employed or need to open a firm (this service is for free and no obligation to use their service to open up your business later).
Apparently, different permit has different file and case. In our case, when submit both my husband and my B Permit, they said that my husband cannot be self-employed but I can. But my husband can open a GmBH and this GmBH will takeover his B Permit and employ him as an Administrator. Funny, but it worked for us .
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 19.09.2007, 18:02
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MotionTemps has no particular reputation at present
Re: Starting a business in Switzerland.

Hi All,

I'm new to the site and I've been reading this thread. If you don't mind, I have a lots of questions about starting a business in Switzerland. My company is registered as an Limited Liability Company in the U.S. I am American and my family and I have been living in Paris for the last 5 years but now my husband (who is French) has accepted a job in Geneva, so we're about to make our home in Lausanne.

Here's my situation. Right now my husband holds a G permit because we thought we'd just live on French border. Since we found an apartment in Lausanne, his company is helping him change the permit status to B. As I understand it, I will be able to work legally as well through his permit.

I'm a freelance web content writer. I have no employees so I'm only partner in my LLC. I found a terrific company to work with and they were ready to work with me as a consultant, except they think now that I must open either a AG or GmbH in Switzerland because of tax concerns all around. I have no clue where to start. I suppose I would need to get in contact with the authorities in Vaud Canton, but I'm just not sure. I probably cannot do anything until my husband's permit has been changed. Any thoughts on what my next steps should be? Does anyone know how expensive all of this could get in terms of creating a AG or GmbH and which is better for me given the work that I do? Many thanks.

Carolyn
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 19.09.2007, 18:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Appenzell
Posts: 5,607
Groaned at 109 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,325 Posts
DaveA has an excellent reputationDaveA has an excellent reputationDaveA has an excellent reputationDaveA has an excellent reputation
Re: Starting a business in Switzerland.

Here is a nice thread which has a lot of good info.

www.gruenden.ch also has a lot of useful information in English about company structures and checklist for formation.

dave


Quote:
View Post
Hi All,

I'm new to the site and I've been reading this thread. If you don't mind, I have a lots of questions about starting a business in Switzerland. My company is registered as an Limited Liability Company in the U.S. I am American and my family and I have been living in Paris for the last 5 years but now my husband (who is French) has accepted a job in Geneva, so we're about to make our home in Lausanne.

Here's my situation. Right now my husband holds a G permit because we thought we'd just live on French border. Since we found an apartment in Lausanne, his company is helping him change the permit status to B. As I understand it, I will be able to work legally as well through his permit.

I'm a freelance web content writer. I have no employees so I'm only partner in my LLC. I found a terrific company to work with and they were ready to work with me as a consultant, except they think now that I must open either a AG or GmbH in Switzerland because of tax concerns all around. I have no clue where to start. I suppose I would need to get in contact with the authorities in Vaud Canton, but I'm just not sure. I probably cannot do anything until my husband's permit has been changed. Any thoughts on what my next steps should be? Does anyone know how expensive all of this could get in terms of creating a AG or GmbH and which is better for me given the work that I do? Many thanks.

Carolyn
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 20.09.2007, 09:46
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MotionTemps has no particular reputation at present
Re: Starting a business in Switzerland.

Thanks, Dave. I'll take a look at the thread and the link!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11.10.2007, 14:19
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 28
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
designlvr has no particular reputation at present
Re: Starting a business in Switzerland.

Hello all, I am in the process of investigating the possibility of starting a client based business, offering professional design services. I am a B-permit holder married to a Swiss citizen. I plan on being a sole trader. Is it the Steuramt whom I need to see in order to determine if this is possible? Also, any idea of the fees involved? Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 11.10.2007, 14:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Luzern currently
Posts: 2,565
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 720 Times in 373 Posts
Richard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Starting a business in Switzerland.

Quote:
View Post
Hello all, I am in the process of investigating the possibility of starting a client based business, offering professional design services. I am a B-permit holder married to a Swiss citizen. I plan on being a sole trader. Is it the Steuramt whom I need to see in order to determine if this is possible? Also, any idea of the fees involved? Thanks!
No it is your local Gemeinde. If you are married to a Swiss citizen you are entitled to work as a sole trader. There are no fees per se however you might well want to consider having your trading name registered in the company register. The cost for this should be around the 100 to 200 francs. At your Gemeinde you also need to ask for an application form for AHV/IV. As a sole trader there is no pension requirement you can run this by making additional contributions to your 3rd pillar pension fund. As start up capital you can use any company pension fund money you have.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11.10.2007, 14:53
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 28
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
designlvr has no particular reputation at present
Re: Starting a business in Switzerland.

Thanks Richard for your quick reply. If I already have an AHV number (from a previous salaried position) I suppose I should bring that along...

thanks again, and I'm sure I'll be back at a later date to bother you all with more questions. :-)
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 17.11.2007, 22:51
Gianna's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chiasso
Posts: 100
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Gianna has no particular reputation at present
Re: Starting a business in Switzerland.

Quote:
View Post
Here are some more websites you might find useful....

http://www.ch.ch/

http://www.gza.ch/default_en.asp?pgn=/content/06/06_001en.asp - This one is Zürich specific.

http://www.europa.admin.ch/pub/best/e/eu_in_ch.pdf?S - This one is for European Nationals only.

http://www.standortschweiz.ch/seco/internet/en/proceed/checklists/index.html

http://www.ige.ch/ - Information regarding trademarks, design protection, patents and copyrights.

http://www.estv.admin.ch/data/e/index.htm - All about taxes.

http://web2.cylex.de/homepage/Profil_neu.asp - A free Company profile can be placed.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SwissEntrepreneur/ - A forum for expats and Swiss nationals to discuss small business plans, find partners, test ideas and generally discuss anything related to starting and running a small business in Switzerland.

Most of the links I have posted are from Ed's Swiss Entrepreneur Links Folder. HTH.

Regards.

Nina
www.indiancookerylessons.com
I'm thinking of starting a business in Zurich and this thread has so many links and most of the information I'm seeking.
Thank you all for sharing your experience.
Janine
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 26.03.2008, 14:18
Music Mole's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SO
Posts: 240
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Music Mole has earned some respectMusic Mole has earned some respect
Re: Starting a business in Switzerland.

Quote:
View Post
If you are married to a Swiss citizen you are entitled to work as a sole trader. There are no fees per se however you might well want to consider having your trading name registered in the company register. The cost for this should be around the 100 to 200 francs. At your Gemeinde you also need to ask for an application form for AHV/IV. As a sole trader there is no pension requirement you can run this by making additional contributions to your 3rd pillar pension fund. As start up capital you can use any company pension fund money you have.
Just wanted to say Thanks to Richard for this info - very succinct and helpful, as always
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 31.03.2008, 13:52
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: U.K
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FlightLevel35 has no particular reputation at present
Company Formation

Good Morning to everyone. This is my First post so please forgive me if this has been asked.

I have a Uk Ltd company and wish to move the business over to Switzerland and set up a GMBH. I have heard that there are new rules since January Please could you answer some questions below for me.

Thanks

1. Do you still have to bank 20000 CHF to start up

2. Could I do the Formation myself and costs if I did?

I hold a UK passport
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 31.03.2008, 13:54
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Appenzell
Posts: 5,607
Groaned at 109 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,325 Posts
DaveA has an excellent reputationDaveA has an excellent reputationDaveA has an excellent reputationDaveA has an excellent reputation
Re: Company Formation

It has, in some detail. Do a search.

1. Yes it does.
2. It will cost you 1600chf min complusory setup costs to DIY

dave

Quote:
View Post
Good Morning to everyone. This is my First post so please forgive me if this has been asked.

I have a Uk Ltd company and wish to move the business over to Switzerland and set up a GMBH. I have heard that there are new rules since January Please could you answer some questions below for me.

Thanks

1. Do you still have to bank 20000 CHF to start up

2. Could I do the Formation myself and costs if I did?

I hold a UK passport
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01.04.2008, 22:15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: U.K
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FlightLevel35 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Company Formation

Quote:
View Post
It has, in some detail. Do a search.

1. Yes it does.
2. It will cost you 1600chf min complusory setup costs to DIY

dave
Thanks Dave for your help

Also do you have a link for doing the formation myself

any information would be great

Thanks Again
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01.04.2008, 22:53
magyir's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wallisellen
Posts: 1,572
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 451 Times in 321 Posts
magyir has an excellent reputationmagyir has an excellent reputationmagyir has an excellent reputationmagyir has an excellent reputation
Re: Starting a business in Switzerland.

http://www.greaterzuricharea.ch/default_en.asp?pgn=

Click on "Setting up a business" on the right hand side.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02.04.2008, 08:43
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Appenzell
Posts: 5,607
Groaned at 109 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,325 Posts
DaveA has an excellent reputationDaveA has an excellent reputationDaveA has an excellent reputationDaveA has an excellent reputation
Re: Company Formation

www.gruenden.ch has checklists in English.

dave


Quote:
View Post
Thanks Dave for your help

Also do you have a link for doing the formation myself

any information would be great

Thanks Again
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02.04.2008, 22:28
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pasteque has no particular reputation at present
Re: Starting a business in Switzerland.

There is a lot of information about starting up in canton Zurich on the following site:

http://www.gruenden.ch/internet/gruenden/de/engl.html

Might be worth taking a look there.[/quote]

Hello,Thank you excellent website
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ag akteingesellschaft, company, einzelfirma, gmbh, gmbh set up, legal, sa sociéteé anonyme, starting a business, work




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting a business in Switzerland pinkbike Business & entrepreneur 9 30.11.2010 11:29
Starting residential address for self-employed bongolu Business & entrepreneur 2 23.05.2008 04:25
Expanding marketing business to Switzerland - looking for interested parties schellmr Business & entrepreneur 4 25.01.2007 15:57
Starting to look around... MegSF Employment 0 07.01.2007 08:55
Lake Geneva is my starting off place Casca Introductions 2 31.12.2006 00:24


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0