Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Business & entrepreneur  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11.12.2009, 01:11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY/Milan
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
topolino has no particular reputation at present
Switzerland vs Ireland for a small business

I'm considering opening a domiciliary company in Switzerland, no local clients. The firm does event planning (music tours for celebrities, cultural exhibitions, etc). I met with two different tax attorneys in Geneva who of course suggested Obwalden as a corporate base... as guy in my 30s I think I'd go nuts if I had to live there...

Surprisingly (and I don't know if this is because I approached a large firm with my relatively small company-- Sfr1m in revenue) they both said Switzerland was not a low-tax environment although some exemptions could be petitioned for based on the business activity. Both suggested Ireland as an option with its 12.5% corporate tax.

I am seriously considering taking up residency in Zurich.

Has anyone had to do this kind of taxation analysis for small business locations and if so, what are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11.12.2009, 12:26
Syt Syt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 124
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 41 Times in 31 Posts
Syt has made some interesting contributions
Re: Switzerland vs Ireland for a small business

Quote:
View Post
I'm considering opening a domiciliary company in Switzerland, no local clients. The firm does event planning (music tours for celebrities, cultural exhibitions, etc). I met with two different tax attorneys in Geneva who of course suggested Obwalden as a corporate base... as guy in my 30s I think I'd go nuts if I had to live there...

Surprisingly (and I don't know if this is because I approached a large firm with my relatively small company-- Sfr1m in revenue) they both said Switzerland was not a low-tax environment although some exemptions could be petitioned for based on the business activity. Both suggested Ireland as an option with its 12.5% corporate tax.

I am seriously considering taking up residency in Zurich.

Has anyone had to do this kind of taxation analysis for small business locations and if so, what are your thoughts?
Ask for a special tax status, provided your business meets the criteria... For me, it highly depends where you will be resident and where the company will be effectively managed... I already answered in your other post, but based on the small info I have, have you thought of registering offshore? or onshore with a LLP? depending on your business and where you run it, this could be interesting, but this needs some analysis of the facts...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11.12.2009, 17:49
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Unterstammheim
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Leons place has no particular reputation at present
Re: Switzerland vs Ireland for a small business

Hi,

Check the following website I have been looking into the same... www.gruenden.ch there should be an English link!

Rg. Leon
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11.12.2009, 18:21
HollidayG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kanton Zürich
Posts: 3,038
Groaned at 50 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 1,179 Times in 737 Posts
HollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputation
Re: Switzerland vs Ireland for a small business

Check out Canton Zug.... There are very, very low taxes, and you
are close to Zürich and Luzern.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11.12.2009, 21:29
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,085
Groaned at 165 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,910 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland vs Ireland for a small business

Hi There,

It seems that you are confusing two different things here - the domicile and residence of your company and your own domicile and residence. It is possible to have a company resident in Ireland, while you live and work out of Switzerland and vice versa, ho ever you need to get a good accountant and tax advisor to pull it off.

Good luck with that,

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12.12.2009, 01:14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY/Milan
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
topolino has no particular reputation at present
Re: Switzerland vs Ireland for a small business

Thanks for the responses!

Well, to be clearer, the main objective is simply to have a low-tax European base whereby I wouldn't necessarily need to repatriate funds. The clients are almost all from Europe and Asia (none from Switzerland). Up until now I've been paid as a consultant and am living in the US.

I know of Zug being advantageous but I wouldn't want my office there as it would initially be a home office... as a single guy in my 30s I'd much prefer to live in Geneva or Zurich. If a company is set up in Zug can I work from a home office in Geneva or Zurich?

Is there any intrinsic benefit of opening in Ireland over Switzerland?

Thanks!


PS: I'm digressing here but another issue is one of residency- I'm a citizen of Italy and I understand that's less of an issue since I simply have to demonstrate that I have an income for a B permit. Does Switzerland care from an immigration standpoint if my "supporting" income is coming from the Switzerland, Ireland or the US?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 13.12.2009, 07:28
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Switzerland vs Ireland for a small business

Quote:
View Post
I'm considering opening a domiciliary company in Switzerland, no local clients. The firm does event planning (music tours for celebrities, cultural exhibitions, etc). I met with two different tax attorneys in Geneva who of course suggested Obwalden as a corporate base... as guy in my 30s I think I'd go nuts if I had to live there...

Surprisingly (and I don't know if this is because I approached a large firm with my relatively small company-- Sfr1m in revenue) they both said Switzerland was not a low-tax environment although some exemptions could be petitioned for based on the business activity. Both suggested Ireland as an option with its 12.5% corporate tax.

I am seriously considering taking up residency in Zurich.

Has anyone had to do this kind of taxation analysis for small business locations and if so, what are your thoughts?
Switzerland is probably still considered more prestigous than Ireland
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 18.12.2009, 15:34
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY/Milan
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
topolino has no particular reputation at present
Re: Switzerland vs Ireland for a small business

Thank you everyone for the replies!

Can anyone recommend a good tax/international business consultant in Zurich (one that isn't ludicrously expensive)?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 18.01.2010, 21:01
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dublin
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
steve_s has no particular reputation at present
Re: Switzerland vs Ireland for a small business

Quote:
View Post
Switzerland is probably still considered more prestigous than Ireland
true but ouch
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 20.02.2010, 16:15
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Interlaken
Posts: 19
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
D-ness has no particular reputation at present
Re: Switzerland vs Ireland for a small business

Ireland have a very low corporate tax(used to be 10%). They deliberately set out to attract companies as 10% us better than nothing plus possible employment creation. You don't need to reside there. But you do need know how. My experience is better to pay an accountant a lot when he is saving you heaps from the tax man.
Luxembourg is also very attractive.
In Switzerland the accountant will not try to save you money. There are rules and they love them. In Ireland they will.
Good luck you will run up a lot of dead ends before it pays off.
D
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 20.02.2010, 16:41
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Switzerland vs Ireland for a small business

Quote:
View Post
In Switzerland the accountant will not try to save you money. There are rules and they love them. In Ireland they will.
Good luck you will run up a lot of dead ends before it pays off.
D
Utter rubbish, you need to learn how to chose your accountant.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 20.02.2010, 21:16
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Interlaken
Posts: 19
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
D-ness has no particular reputation at present
Re: Switzerland vs Ireland for a small business

Quote:
View Post
Utter rubbish, you need to learn how to chose your accountant.
you have a very well thought out point there. Nicely put. Informative.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at D-ness for this post:
  #13  
Old 21.02.2010, 09:50
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Switzerland vs Ireland for a small business

Quote:
View Post
you have a very well thought out point there. Nicely put. Informative.
About as informative as your rather crass and inexperienced generalisation "In Switzerland the accountant will not try to save you money"
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 27.06.2011, 03:18
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
O.Smyth has no particular reputation at present
Re: Switzerland vs Ireland for a small business

Hi!

I know this thread's been dormant for quite some time but I was hoping that someone would be able to contribute some good ideas.

I have heard from some friendss in Switzerland using Urs Meisterhans for their financial planning. They're happy with his work.

I can't use him as I'm based in Dublin. Can you recommend someone of Urs Meisterhans' quality but in Dublin?

Cheers!
Reply With Quote
This user groans at O.Smyth for this post:
  #15  
Old 27.06.2011, 11:01
grumpygrapefruit's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zuriwest
Posts: 6,272
Groaned at 38 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 16,665 Times in 4,359 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland vs Ireland for a small business

Welcome to the forum
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Totally lost - Ireland or Switzerland for business? caroline971 Business & entrepreneur 27 20.08.2010 15:12
small business partnerships zuriKT Other/general 0 03.12.2008 05:39
Bringing an existing small business to Switzerland tasharain Business & entrepreneur 2 31.05.2008 08:27
Small Business question - cleaning business JenniferD Business & entrepreneur 24 21.04.2008 08:07


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0