Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Market Place > Market Place > Commercial  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 10.05.2011, 14:07
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,150
Groaned at 33 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 4,955 Times in 2,235 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Don't get locked out of your home again !

Quote:
View Post
Then it sounds like a good time to buy a key safe

Althought I like the concept (my last apartment back home had a combination deadbolt which I loved), I think this is the worst time to get a keysafe.

If someone steals the keysafe, I'm totally screwed. It would require severely intense attachment to my building, which my building owners would never go for.
  #42  
Old 10.05.2011, 14:14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Morges
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Bren has no particular reputation at present
Re: Don't get locked out of your home again !

Quote:
View Post
Althought I like the concept (my last apartment back home had a combination deadbolt which I loved), I think this is the worst time to get a keysafe.

If someone steals the keysafe, I'm totally screwed. It would require severely intense attachment to my building, which my building owners would never go for.
I honestly think that someone stealing a keysafe is a bit of a 'red herring'. I would be more than interested to know if anyone has every heard of this happening as I certainly havent and I have been using them for years. Generally you dont put them right next to the door with a big since saying "get my keys here", we always put them within easy access possibly next to a down pipe or in an obscured position where they attract no notice. It a bit like hiding the key in the garden but with the added security that if someone does go looking for it or accidentally comes across it then there is still a substantial bariier to overcome before they can enter the house.

The building owners could be a problem. To be secure it needs to be securely attached and in appartments that can be difficult. We do have some safes which are essentially a large padlock with the key safe build in which can be attached to a railing but these are a lot more 'intrusive' than a non descript box placed discretely on an out of the way piece of wall.
  #43  
Old 10.05.2011, 14:22
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,493
Groaned at 2,577 Times in 1,840 Posts
Thanked 39,630 Times in 18,678 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Don't get locked out of your home again !

Quote:
View Post
how would we all get on if we didnt put the handbrakes on on our cars ?
Fine, as most people here don't use them.

Tom
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
This user groans at st2lemans for this post:
  #44  
Old 10.05.2011, 14:24
Ella 211's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 173
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 111 Times in 61 Posts
Ella 211 has earned some respectElla 211 has earned some respect
Re: Don't get locked out of your home again !

Quote:
View Post
Should a code change and the helper not know, they call their base and check and, if necessary, base calls the contact number to findout if it has changed (in this case my mum). This has happened once when mum changed the code afor security and forgot to tell the company but generally the system seems to work well
Thats fine if it happens during the day, but the base is not usually manned at 10.30 at night. My partner worked in care for a number of years so I've heard plenty of instances where things went wrong, especially with those latch keys/locks that just shut behind you. Just pointing out that it has its weaknesses too.

Quote:
View Post
Every system will fall down if people dont follow the rules. For example how would we all get on if we didnt put the handbrakes on on our cars ? For somoe reason we just do it. Its the same with the keysafes. My kids have been told that the key must be replaced as soon as the door is open and so far they have always done just that. I am sure there will come a time when they dont follow this rule and then we will be in the same position as we would have been if we had no keysafe in the first place
If your children lose so many keys, how can you rely on them to remember to replace the key after use? Wouldn't it be better to teach them not to be careless with the keys? And whats wrong with popping to the neighbours if you are locked out? Not for the keys but for a cup of tea.

Just had to reply to the handbrake rule here, OT I know. I have driven in switzerland for 30 years and have got into the habit of never using my handbrake. It drives my OH nuts, but its difficult to change my style after so many years. Am I the only one that doesn't use it? Is there a reason that it has to be used? Maybe I should start a new thread for this...
__________________
Just remember that the amount on your credit card is a limit and not a target!!!!!
  #45  
Old 10.05.2011, 14:26
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Don't get locked out of your home again !

I've come into this thread to say <yawn>

Quickest and cheapest method of getting into your property = below. Who cares if the plods turn up you live there right?! You could even call them to throw the brick for you.

Cheaper to replace the glass in most cases.

  #46  
Old 10.05.2011, 14:27
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Morges
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Bren has no particular reputation at present
Re: Don't get locked out of your home again !

Quote:
View Post
Thats fine if it happens during the day, but the base is not usually manned at 10.30 at night. My partner worked in care for a number of years so I've heard plenty of instances where things went wrong, especially with those latch keys/locks that just shut behind you. Just pointing out that it has its weaknesses too.



If your children lose so many keys, how can you rely on them to remember to replace the key after use? Wouldn't it be better to teach them not to be careless with the keys? And whats wrong with popping to the neighbours if you are locked out? Not for the keys but for a cup of tea.

Just had to reply to the handbrake rule here, OT I know. I have driven in switzerland for 30 years and have got into the habit of never using my handbrake. It drives my OH nuts, but its difficult to change my style after so many years. Am I the only one that doesn't use it? Is there a reason that it has to be used? Maybe I should start a new thread for this...
Dont get me started on kids and keys. I suppose its because they have so many opportunities during the day to lose them.

Re popping round to a neighbour, as previous mentioned thats great unless they are on holiday, out for the days, already asleep or any number of other things (imaginations can be used here).

Handbrakes - why on earth did I use that analogy and what is it with the swiss and handbrakes ?
  #47  
Old 10.05.2011, 14:35
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,131
Groaned at 170 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Don't get locked out of your home again !

Do you only have one key for your keysafe? What would happen if you were to lose it? Or maybe you want to ensure your children have access without giving them a key?

Then buy the "safehouse". It's is a large, two storey building which you can keep near your safe where you may store a spare key. To ensure you're ready for any emergency, we recommend you stay in the "safehouse" at all times, so you are never far away from the key.
  #48  
Old 10.05.2011, 14:35
Ella 211's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 173
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 111 Times in 61 Posts
Ella 211 has earned some respectElla 211 has earned some respect
Re: Don't get locked out of your home again !

Quote:
View Post
Dont get me started on kids and keys. I suppose its because they have so many opportunities during the day to lose them.

Re popping round to a neighbour, as previous mentioned thats great unless they are on holiday, out for the days, already asleep or any number of other things (imaginations can be used here).

Handbrakes - why on earth did I use that analogy and what is it with the swiss and handbrakes ?
Bren, I'm not saying that they would not be useful, (although the picture of that one on the garden post doesn't look too secure for my peace of mind) I'm just pointing out how we have overcome this situation in the past. My children would go to a mates house if I wasn't home, or would ring the nieghbours bell and sit with them if I wasn't home yet. I could see a use for them, but you havent answered the insurance question yet. That to me would be important.
  #49  
Old 10.05.2011, 14:36
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Morges
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Bren has no particular reputation at present
Re: Don't get locked out of your home again !

Quote:
View Post
I've come into this thread to say <yawn>

Quickest and cheapest method of getting into your property = below. Who cares if the plods turn up you live there right?! You could even call them to throw the brick for you.

Cheaper to replace the glass in most cases.


I would argue with that oin 2 counts.

Firstly have you ever tried breaking a double glazed window with a brick. Its not as easy as you think (even with a brick).

Secondlt one of our most popular key safes,the MLK5401, is available for 65 CHF (plus postage if necessary).

If you can find me someone who will repair a window large enough to break into a house for less (and save me having to crawl through broken glass) and I will be amazed. Also, dont forget the cost of the brick and the fact the your house will not be secure until the window is repaired (which could mean a day off work to get it fixed)

Keysafes are (relatively) cheap and practical. They dont solve all of the worlds problems but they do what they say on the tin. They are a safe place to keep your keys.
  #50  
Old 10.05.2011, 14:38
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,295
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Don't get locked out of your home again !

For the Supra S5 and Supra S6, it is specified that no power source is required, so I'm assuming that the entering of the code is actually a mechanical process as the buttons are pushed and operates tumblers, or similar.

Having myself had locks seize after time through non-use or freeze from moisture in the air condensing on cold metal parts, as temperatures fall below zero, I am curious to enquire if the mechanism is sealed (air-tight) in any way and/or lubricated to prevent what I have described.

I have viewed the specifications and have noted the operational temperature range (although the upper limit of 68 (assume F?) seems a little low for summer ambient temps. here) and I'm afraid 6 hrs. dust bombardment at 23C means nothing to me.

If I was ever to have a requirement personally for this product, I can quite imagine that I may not actually need to use it, for purpose, for a very long time (I haven't had a problem with entry to my house in the last 10 yrs.), and on the occasion of needing to open it to remove the key, would like to be sure that the code/unlocking mechanism, would still function.

I further accept that the advice would be to check/open at regular intervals, but maybe after time, it is possible that this could be easily/realistically overlooked.
  #51  
Old 10.05.2011, 14:43
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,493
Groaned at 2,577 Times in 1,840 Posts
Thanked 39,630 Times in 18,678 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Don't get locked out of your home again !

Quote:
View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't use it?
No, and the reason a lot of people don't is because of the brake blocking due to rust (after riding in the rain) or freezing (in winter).

I used to use mine, until I had the rear brakes block up (I often let my car sit for up to several months during the warmer months).

Tom
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #52  
Old 10.05.2011, 14:48
grumpygrapefruit's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 6,394
Groaned at 38 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 17,624 Times in 4,508 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Don't get locked out of your home again !

Quote:
View Post
As per my previous post my relationship to the business is now clearly stated.

Personal info. Point taken but running a small family business is like that. I dont think it increases substantially our liklihood of being burgled and if any theif is desperate enough to try kidnapping our torturing our kids to get the code then I dont see how a keysafe increases our risk. SOmeone that desperate would do anything.

Re the dog, good luck with that. We had an alsation that was a great guard dog until someone threw a ball, then it would do anything but come back to the person who trew it ... every solution has a flaw if you look hard enough
I wasn't seriously suggesting your key safe would make it more likely that a thief would try to get the code off your kid, any more than he would try to just get the key. I was just pointing out that publishing photos, names and home address of your kids on the internet is something that I would be worried about. I run a small business from home but I have never published my home address anywhere.

And I was joking about keeping a spare key with my dog, she would probably just eat it anyway.
This user would like to thank grumpygrapefruit for this useful post:
  #53  
Old 10.05.2011, 14:52
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,295
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Don't get locked out of your home again !

Quote:
View Post
I run a small business from home but I have never published my home address anywhere..
You'll be saying, next, that the picture in the top corner, isn't even you.
This user would like to thank TiMow for this useful post:
  #54  
Old 10.05.2011, 14:55
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Don't get locked out of your home again !

Quote:
View Post
I would argue with that oin 2 counts.

Firstly have you ever tried breaking a double glazed window with a brick. Its not as easy as you think (even with a brick).

Secondlt one of our most popular key safes,the MLK5401, is available for 65 CHF (plus postage if necessary).

If you can find me someone who will repair a window large enough to break into a house for less (and save me having to crawl through broken glass) and I will be amazed. Also, dont forget the cost of the brick and the fact the your house will not be secure until the window is repaired (which could mean a day off work to get it fixed)

Keysafes are (relatively) cheap and practical. They dont solve all of the worlds problems but they do what they say on the tin. They are a safe place to keep your keys.
Yes I have broken many. Not on purpose I might add.

One of my previous jobs inbetween University was to fit them. Tap them in a corner or near an edge with a sharp object. The first pane will shatter with a little effort, the second one is much easier.

Double glazing replacement pane = 100-200chf. Pick the smallest pane, although larger ones break easier. 24hr service on broken glass usually.

Loss of your keys from an outside "safe" = Empty House + plod station + whatever.

I like the idea but I just cant see it, sorry.

Now if you offered a cheap reliable house key holding service where you could call someone on a simple number to get your spare keys, now that might work.

Perhaps you should have "gnome" versions?
  #55  
Old 10.05.2011, 14:55
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Morges
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Bren has no particular reputation at present
Re: Don't get locked out of your home again !

Quote:
View Post
Bren, I'm not saying that they would not be useful, (although the picture of that one on the garden post doesn't look too secure for my peace of mind) I'm just pointing out how we have overcome this situation in the past. My children would go to a mates house if I wasn't home, or would ring the nieghbours bell and sit with them if I wasn't home yet. I could see a use for them, but you havent answered the insurance question yet. That to me would be important.
Ella,

Certainly in England and France it is covered. To be absolutely sure I have just spoken to Zurich (my insurers) and they have said :

a key secreted in the garden, UNDER A FLOWER POT etc, which is found and used to enter the house WOULD NOT BE COVERED. Apparently its not and "Infraction".

A Forced keysafe, either in situ on the property or removed and tampered with, WOULD BE COVERED as this is an 'infraction'. He clarified that this situation would be treated EXACTLY THE SAME as if the door was forced to gain entry.

Hope this helps.
This user would like to thank Bren for this useful post:
  #56  
Old 10.05.2011, 14:58
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Don't get locked out of your home again !

Quote:
View Post
I would argue with that oin 2 counts.

Firstly have you ever tried breaking a double glazed window with a brick. Its not as easy as you think (even with a brick).

Secondlt one of our most popular key safes,the MLK5401, is available for 65 CHF (plus postage if necessary).

If you can find me someone who will repair a window large enough to break into a house for less (and save me having to crawl through broken glass) and I will be amazed. Also, dont forget the cost of the brick and the fact the your house will not be secure until the window is repaired (which could mean a day off work to get it fixed)

Keysafes are (relatively) cheap and practical. They dont solve all of the worlds problems but they do what they say on the tin. They are a safe place to keep your keys.
Send me one for testing.

The example above would probably break with a couple of hits from a bolster and a lump hammer as someone has already posted..

Alternatively you might end up using the MLK5401 as a brick when you forget the pin code.
  #57  
Old 10.05.2011, 15:03
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Morges
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Bren has no particular reputation at present
Re: Don't get locked out of your home again !

Quote:
View Post
Send me one for testing.

The example above would probably break with a couple of hits from a bolster and a lump hammer as someone has already posted..

Alternatively you might end up using the MLK5401 as a brick when you forget the pin code.
But how many burlers carry a lump hammer and bolster ? And if they did they wouldnt go looking for a key safe they would hit the door and save themselves the bother.

Using it as a brick, good idea but you would also have to chuck whatever it was securely attached to as without the code you cant undo it
  #58  
Old 10.05.2011, 15:07
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Morges
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Bren has no particular reputation at present
Re: Don't get locked out of your home again !

Quote:
View Post
I wasn't seriously suggesting your key safe would make it more likely that a thief would try to get the code off your kid, any more than he would try to just get the key. I was just pointing out that publishing photos, names and home address of your kids on the internet is something that I would be worried about. I run a small business from home but I have never published my home address anywhere.

And I was joking about keeping a spare key with my dog, she would probably just eat it anyway.
I take your point. I suppose its moving for a big (crime ridden) place like the center of Bristol to a small village north of Lausanne crime here seems a joke compared to a big city. The way I see it anyone can get my kids names from facebook plus a lot of other photos.

These days its incredible what is 'out there' on someone if you want to bother looking. On that basis what I have posted seems trivial.

Re the dog, we are thinking of getting one but my wife wants a jack russel and I am not sure they would be good for our 4 year old (no names given ....). Any ideas ?
  #59  
Old 10.05.2011, 15:10
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Don't get locked out of your home again !

Quote:
View Post
But how many burlers carry a lump hammer and bolster ? And if they did they wouldnt go looking for a key safe they would hit the door and save themselves the bother.

Using it as a brick, good idea but you would also have to chuck whatever it was securely attached to as without the code you cant undo it
As someone that knows the Bristol area.

I guess you've heard the phrase "tooled up?"

You would use a key for a quiet entry, kicking a door down makes noise.

Now if they were built into non-descript items like in the bottom of a plant pot etc that would be clever.

Additionally I don't think looking at the site using it every day as a means of access is a good idea, it draws attention to it's use and possibly over the shoulder pin stealing.
  #60  
Old 10.05.2011, 15:15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Morges
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Bren has no particular reputation at present
Re: Don't get locked out of your home again !

Quote:
View Post
As someone that knows the Bristol area.

I guess you've heard the phrase "tooled up?"

You would use a key for a quiet entry, kicking a door down makes noise.

Now if they were non-descript items like in the bottom of a plant pot etc that would be clever.
The problem these days would be that if the plant pot wasnt screwed down someone would walk off with that !

We lived for many years Cotham / Redland area (one of the 'most affluent' parts of the city) but the amount of petty crime was incredible.

As I have mentioned a number of times today, there is a big difference between opportunistic crime and a 'tooled up' gang out to do a 'caper'.

Keysafes offer good protection against the former, for the later you really need the Green Hornet (great film by the way).
Closed Thread

Tags
children, house, key safe, keys




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike locked - lost keys :( hollisterb Daily life 12 22.03.2011 09:56
Frenchman locked up for asking Rachida Dati for 'an inflation' Castro International affairs/politics 16 03.11.2010 08:52
Landlord has locked the rubbish rooms Louis Wu Daily life 31 16.01.2009 15:17


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0