Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Market Place > Market Place > Commercial  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 18.12.2016, 21:31
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Tuscan Extra Virgin Olive Oil - family made

Is it Dougal free ?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 18.12.2016, 23:10
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 29,159
Groaned at 2,042 Times in 1,527 Posts
Thanked 34,710 Times in 16,490 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tuscan Extra Virgin Olive Oil - family made

Quote:
View Post
I did notice that and I'm sure I can get some very good Chianti from my good friend in Siena too - but I wouldn't compare it with that of a bottle of Chianti being brought to the market.
Why not?

Just because we buy in bulk doesn't make the quality lower.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 19.12.2016, 00:22
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,492
Groaned at 183 Times in 151 Posts
Thanked 12,910 Times in 6,748 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tuscan Extra Virgin Olive Oil - family made

Quote:
View Post
Hi Tom,

I come from Florence - and I believe I know a thing or 2 about decent olive oil... if anything, for pure coincidence

Not even big retailers like esselunga or coop in Italy (who rip-off honest, small producers) are displaying on their shelves prices like the one you mention...
Unless you refer to the likes of Carapelli or Bertolli (that real Italians don't even consider olive oil...).

I've been living in Switzerland for 6 years now. The only place I've found having some sort of choice is Manor. And for good Italian olive oil (e.g. from Sicily, Liguria or Toscana) I've never seen anything below 25chf for half a liter...

I won't buy Olio Bruno either (but giving it a thought for the new year ) , but don't complain then when you're being sold scum from the big faceless food multinationals (that in the best of the cases sell you horse meat as if it was beef).

Cheers,
Marcello
Nice speech.
He buys 30 Liters a year .... from family friends .... directly in Italy .... drives it accross the border on his motorbike probably .... where did he complain?

And why the heck am I "defending" Tom?!

addition: plus someone already did ...

Last edited by curley; 19.12.2016 at 00:23. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 19.12.2016, 00:25
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 29,159
Groaned at 2,042 Times in 1,527 Posts
Thanked 34,710 Times in 16,490 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tuscan Extra Virgin Olive Oil - family made

Quote:
View Post
in the best of the cases sell you horse meat as if it was beef
Actually, I buy horse meat as if it was horse meat, in fact we had two fantastic hose filets for dinner this evening.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 19.12.2016, 01:31
MrVertigo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 3,210
Groaned at 86 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 5,788 Times in 2,254 Posts
MrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tuscan Extra Virgin Olive Oil - family made

A good quality virgin olive oil (from Greece) at a very decent price can be found in Aldi.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 19.12.2016, 10:42
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Tuscan Extra Virgin Olive Oil - family made

Quote:
View Post
Why not?

Just because we buy in bulk doesn't make the quality lower.

Tom
I'm 100kg and high quality, Slammer's up their with us too.....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 19.12.2016, 10:51
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Basel
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
celine79 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Tuscan Extra Virgin Olive Oil - family made

Ok guys I leave you to your discussion.
But I'm glad to see there is such a level of engagement on this topic.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank celine79 for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 19.12.2016, 10:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 8,046
Groaned at 349 Times in 283 Posts
Thanked 10,410 Times in 5,499 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tuscan Extra Virgin Olive Oil - family made

Quote:
View Post
A good quality virgin olive oil (from Greece) at a very decent price can be found in Aldi.
One test by K-Tipp from three years ago that also considered taste, rated it "good". It was considered the best oil outside of the very high priced oils (50.- per liter and more) - all other products of the big retailers "didn't even come close" even though they were Ok or good chemically.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 19.12.2016, 11:31
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North
Posts: 996
Groaned at 38 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 1,351 Times in 624 Posts
Fish Paste has a reputation beyond reputeFish Paste has a reputation beyond reputeFish Paste has a reputation beyond reputeFish Paste has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tuscan Extra Virgin Olive Oil - family made

Quote:
View Post
A good quality virgin olive oil (from Greece) at a very decent price can be found in Aldi.
There is olive oil, and then there is olive oil.
Same as there is wine, and then there is wine.
Like there is beef, and there is beef.

There is always a cheaper product available if you want it, though comparing Aldi prices with 'artisan' is taking the p1ss a bit.

The OP seems to be selling a premier product, and it's sold in a few quality outlets/deli's, which is a confirmation it's going to be very decent.

I'm buying some!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 19.12.2016, 11:36
MrVertigo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 3,210
Groaned at 86 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 5,788 Times in 2,254 Posts
MrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tuscan Extra Virgin Olive Oil - family made

Quote:
View Post
There is olive oil, and then there is olive oil.
Same as there is wine, and then there is wine.
Like there is beef, and there is beef.

There is always a cheaper product available if you want it, though comparing Aldi prices with 'artisan' is taking the p1ss a bit.

The OP seems to be selling a premier product, and it's sold in a few quality outlets/deli's, which is a confirmation it's going to be very decent.

I'm buying some!
please give us your feedback once you try it. I'd buy some of it if i had the possibility to get a sample for testing.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MrVertigo for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 19.12.2016, 11:38
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Tuscan Extra Virgin Olive Oil - family made

What is best for me is not necessarily best for you, unless we are looking for the EXACT same qualities in the product.

What is the best wine ? If you have exact same taste as Robert Parker, then i am sure his 100 pointers are the best you will ever get to taste, however if he likes cherry flavours and you don't like cherries, then his advice will not be so much use as the best wine for you will certainly be different !

The same applies fro olive oil, some like strong olive taste, some like mild taste, some like green oil, some like gold oil, the list is very long......
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 19.12.2016, 11:44
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 29,159
Groaned at 2,042 Times in 1,527 Posts
Thanked 34,710 Times in 16,490 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tuscan Extra Virgin Olive Oil - family made

Quote:
What is best for me is not necessarily best for you, unless we are looking for the EXACT same qualities in the product.

What is the best wine ? If you have exact same taste as Robert Parker, then i am sure his 100 pointers are the best you will ever get to taste, however if he likes cherry flavours and you don't like cherries, then his advice will not be so much use as the best wine for you will certainly be different !

The same applies fro olive oil, some like strong olive taste, some like mild taste, some like green oil, some like gold oil, the list is very long......
We use about 2 liters a month, so cost is also a consideration. And I don't like having 6 or 7 different types around, as it does age, especially once opened, so after some time the 50/liter stuff will be taste-wise worse than the cheapest generic.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 19.12.2016, 12:30
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Tuscan Extra Virgin Olive Oil - family made

Quote:
View Post
We use about 2 liters a month, so cost is also a consideration. And I don't like having 6 or 7 different types around, as it does age, especially once opened, so after some time the 50/liter stuff will be taste-wise worse than the cheapest generic.

Tom
Drink more wine, then you won't notice it as much
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 20.12.2016, 20:47
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Tuscan Extra Virgin Olive Oil - family made

Quote:
View Post
Why not?

Just because we buy in bulk doesn't make the quality lower.

Tom
I wasn't referring to quality nor to buying it in bulk, but to the fact that buying it from a friend cannot be compared - price-wise - to buying it on the market...
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 20.12.2016, 20:53
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Tuscan Extra Virgin Olive Oil - family made

Which part of Tuscany out of interest?

We go to the Pienza area every year and buy from the agriturismo where we stay. I hope you ind a good outlet was the oil.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 20.12.2016, 20:55
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North
Posts: 996
Groaned at 38 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 1,351 Times in 624 Posts
Fish Paste has a reputation beyond reputeFish Paste has a reputation beyond reputeFish Paste has a reputation beyond reputeFish Paste has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tuscan Extra Virgin Olive Oil - family made

Had my three bottles delivered this morning.
Will report back soon as I try it, I still have 1/3rd of a bottle of Gaea left.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 20.12.2016, 20:58
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North
Posts: 996
Groaned at 38 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 1,351 Times in 624 Posts
Fish Paste has a reputation beyond reputeFish Paste has a reputation beyond reputeFish Paste has a reputation beyond reputeFish Paste has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tuscan Extra Virgin Olive Oil - family made

Quote:
Which part of Tuscany out of interest?
According to the bottle, Certaldo, northwest of Sienna.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Fish Paste for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 20.12.2016, 21:03
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Tuscan Extra Virgin Olive Oil - family made

Celine79 might be happy to see you're engaged about the topic.

I disagree on this point too and quite frankly am surprised reading the parameters you're mentioning to judge a good olive oil.

Allow me to suggest you this:
http://www.truthinoliveoil.com/extra-virginity

(you might appreciate this is an outsider's point of view from a non-Italian living in Italy :-))

As per Aldi - well, I won't even comment on that, but leave you with a trite but always relevant quote (Michael Pollan):
Cheap food is an illusion. There is no such thing as cheap food. The real cost of the food is paid somewhere. And if it isn't paid at the cash register, it's charged to the environment or to the public purse in the form of subsidies. And it's charged to your health.

p.s.
still open to any good suggestion about red wines without sulfites
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #39  
Old 20.12.2016, 21:12
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 15,000
Groaned at 474 Times in 379 Posts
Thanked 21,364 Times in 8,761 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tuscan Extra Virgin Olive Oil - family made

Quote:
View Post

As per Aldi - well, I won't even comment on that, but leave you with a trite but always relevant quote (Michael Pollan):
Cheap food is an illusion. There is no such thing as cheap food. The real cost of the food is paid somewhere. And if it isn't paid at the cash register, it's charged to the environment or to the public purse in the form of subsidies. And it's charged to your health.
And expensive food doesn't mean that that the real cost of the food is any different - it could just be that the extra cost goes to pay high rents in Zurich Bahnhofstrasse.

As you mentioned Aldi explicitly, the farm where I took this photo rears beef that Aldi in the U.K. sells.
I know the farm pretty well.

Of course not everything that the cheapest supermarkets sell is good but you ought to look into it a bit deeper rather than just take quotes at face value.
Attached Thumbnails
tuscan-extra-virgin-olive-oil-family-made-cows-full-copy.jpg  
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #40  
Old 20.12.2016, 21:23
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Tuscan Extra Virgin Olive Oil - family made

Quote:
View Post
And expensive food doesn't mean that that the real cost of the food is any different - it could just be that the extra cost goes to pay high rents in Zurich Bahnhofstrasse.

As you mentioned Aldi explicitly, the farm where I took this photo rears beef that Aldi in the U.K. sells.
I know the farm pretty well.

Of course not everything that the cheapest supermarkets sell is good but you ought to look into it a bit deeper rather than just take quotes at face value.
the exception confirming the rule.
I've worked for big food multinationals - reason why you will never convince me to buy REAL FOOD at big retailers' in general, including Coop or Migros.
What is irreversibly wrong to me is the model of consumption these big market players have been selling us for the past few decades.
Now they're simply trying to jump on the "farmer market" train.
The same farmers they strangle every single day.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
food, olive oil, real food




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
False "extra virgin" Olive oil? marton Food and drink 27 18.11.2015 20:20
Extra-virgin Italian olive oil for sale madda Commercial 29 04.05.2013 11:02
(free) Coupon for: 6 liters olive oil+pan+ceramic doser for oil=39 chf NewOneINseefeld Food and drink 10 07.06.2012 17:04
Extra light olive oil economisto Food and drink 26 27.01.2010 08:32


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0