Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Market Place > Market Place > Commercial  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #281  
Old 14.07.2010, 17:50
grumpygrapefruit's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zuriwest
Posts: 6,165
Groaned at 37 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 16,280 Times in 4,252 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The British Cheese Centre of Switzerland

I started on beer about 3 hours ago but there's still plenty left. It's called internal aircon BTW.
Reply With Quote
  #282  
Old 15.07.2010, 01:07
weejeem
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The British Cheese Centre of Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I started on beer about 3 hours ago but there's still plenty left. It's called internal aircon BTW.
Make that "three rats" for HB...
Reply With Quote
  #283  
Old 21.07.2010, 16:44
weejeem
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The British Cheese Centre of Switzerland

Anyone heading along for some cheesy comestibles this evening?
Reply With Quote
  #284  
Old 23.07.2010, 14:52
grumpygrapefruit's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zuriwest
Posts: 6,165
Groaned at 37 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 16,280 Times in 4,252 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The British Cheese Centre of Switzerland

I'm off to the UK this weekend and will be bringing back some new and very special cheeses. Perl Las is a very rich and creamy blue from Wales. Also from Wales, Keltic Gold is a washed rind firm and smelly concoction. Berkswell from the midlands is a fantastic hard sheeps milk cheese and Wigmore is a washed rind raw sheeps milk cheese from Berkshire.

Ticklemore goat and the very popular Cornish Yarg (wrapped in stinging nettles) will be back. We'll have a new range of hand made oat cakes and some fantastic Port Wine Jelly, great with blue cheese. I should have most of these at nest Wednesdays Zurich market and I'll try to get some on-line too next week.
__________________
Mike

Monger of fine British Cheeses
Reply With Quote
  #285  
Old 23.07.2010, 16:03
JLF JLF is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,188
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 1,383 Times in 510 Posts
JLF has a reputation beyond reputeJLF has a reputation beyond reputeJLF has a reputation beyond reputeJLF has a reputation beyond reputeJLF has a reputation beyond reputeJLF has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The British Cheese Centre of Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I'm off to the UK this weekend and will be bringing back some new and very special cheeses. Perl Las is a very rich and creamy blue from Wales. Also from Wales, Keltic Gold is a washed rind firm and smelly concoction. Berkswell from the midlands is a fantastic hard sheeps milk cheese and Wigmore is a washed rind raw sheeps milk cheese from Berkshire.

Ticklemore goat and the very popular Cornish Yarg (wrapped in stinging nettles) will be back. We'll have a new range of hand made oat cakes and some fantastic Port Wine Jelly, great with blue cheese. I should have most of these at nest Wednesdays Zurich market and I'll try to get some on-line too next week.
Sounds heavenly. Can't wait to try some next week. Safe travels grumpy!
Reply With Quote
  #286  
Old 02.08.2010, 14:58
JLF JLF is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,188
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 1,383 Times in 510 Posts
JLF has a reputation beyond reputeJLF has a reputation beyond reputeJLF has a reputation beyond reputeJLF has a reputation beyond reputeJLF has a reputation beyond reputeJLF has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The British Cheese Centre of Switzerland

Definitely coming out this week for a few beers to celebrate Weejeem's last Wednesday Market for the year... Hope to see many other faces as well for a great night (of drunken debauchery).

Oh, and I am most likely going to bring some of these with me...
Reply With Quote
  #287  
Old 02.08.2010, 15:32
HashBrown's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,297
Groaned at 68 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 3,015 Times in 1,340 Posts
HashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The British Cheese Centre of Switzerland

Mmmm, I haven't had cookies like that since leaving N America. Of course, the real reason for attending is to say good riddance to WeeJeem.
Reply With Quote
  #288  
Old 02.08.2010, 15:44
Gastro Gnome's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,555
Groaned at 50 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The British Cheese Centre of Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I'm off to the UK this weekend and will be bringing back some new and very special cheeses. Perl Las is a very rich and creamy blue from Wales. Also from Wales, Keltic Gold is a washed rind firm and smelly concoction. Berkswell from the midlands is a fantastic hard sheeps milk cheese and Wigmore is a washed rind raw sheeps milk cheese from Berkshire.

Ticklemore goat and the very popular Cornish Yarg (wrapped in stinging nettles) will be back. We'll have a new range of hand made oat cakes and some fantastic Port Wine Jelly, great with blue cheese. I should have most of these at nest Wednesdays Zurich market and I'll try to get some on-line too next week.
I can vouch for Perl Las, Wigmore, Ticklmore and Yarg. All excellent cheeses.

Have you thought of bringing over some of the softer British cheeses, e.g. Stinking Bishop?
Reply With Quote
  #289  
Old 02.08.2010, 15:50
JLF JLF is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,188
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 1,383 Times in 510 Posts
JLF has a reputation beyond reputeJLF has a reputation beyond reputeJLF has a reputation beyond reputeJLF has a reputation beyond reputeJLF has a reputation beyond reputeJLF has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The British Cheese Centre of Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I can vouch for Perl Las, Wigmore, Ticklmore and Yarg. All excellent cheeses.

Have you thought of bringing over some of the softer British cheeses, e.g. Stinking Bishop?
He already stocks the Stinking Bishop... As well as many other soft blues.
Reply With Quote
  #290  
Old 02.08.2010, 15:53
HashBrown's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,297
Groaned at 68 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 3,015 Times in 1,340 Posts
HashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The British Cheese Centre of Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Have you thought of bringing over some of the softer British cheeses, e.g. Stinking Bishop?
It has made the journey a couple of times.
Reply With Quote
  #291  
Old 02.08.2010, 17:15
grumpygrapefruit's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zuriwest
Posts: 6,165
Groaned at 37 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 16,280 Times in 4,252 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The British Cheese Centre of Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I can vouch for Perl Las, Wigmore, Ticklmore and Yarg. All excellent cheeses.

Have you thought of bringing over some of the softer British cheeses, e.g. Stinking Bishop?
Perl Las and Wigmore made it over last week for the first time and they are both outstanding. Ticklemore and Yarg are old favourites, as is Stinking Bishop which I get 3 or 4 times a year. The sister cheese is May Hill Green, similar style but covered with shredded nettles, it's actually more popular with my customers.

I'll bring some of these to the HB market again on Wednesday (as well as the smoked garlic Mull for Weejeem) and the cheese shop in Basel will have its first delivery from us Wednesday morning - Gorwydd Caerphilly, Cropwell Bishop Stilton and the Godminster cheddar - they'll be taking more in the autumn if these sell well (so you Baselers know what you need to do ).

Glausi's Käsespezialitäten
Spalenberg 12
4051 Basel
__________________
Mike

Monger of fine British Cheeses
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank grumpygrapefruit for this useful post:
  #292  
Old 02.08.2010, 17:35
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rybakowski has no particular reputation at present
Re: The British Cheese Centre of Switzerland

This is an excellent post! I am a huge fan of British cheese, particularly a nice smelly Stilton (I guess they're all smelly). As an interesting aside, I have heard that the smell of Stilton cheese does not attract mice.
Reply With Quote
  #293  
Old 02.08.2010, 17:42
Gastro Gnome's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,555
Groaned at 50 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The British Cheese Centre of Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
This is an excellent post! I am a huge fan of British cheese, particularly a nice smelly Stilton (I guess they're all smelly). As an interesting aside, I have heard that the smell of Stilton cheese does not attract mice.
I have heard tell of a restaurant I like in London, called Hawksmoor, serving Stilton hollandaise . . . I'm trying to get details of the recipe.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Gastro Gnome for this useful post:
  #294  
Old 02.08.2010, 19:59
grumpygrapefruit's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zuriwest
Posts: 6,165
Groaned at 37 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 16,280 Times in 4,252 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The British Cheese Centre of Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
This is an excellent post! I am a huge fan of British cheese, particularly a nice smelly Stilton (I guess they're all smelly). As an interesting aside, I have heard that the smell of Stilton cheese does not attract mice.
Actually, Stilton should not be smelly at all (same with most blue cheeses). Stilton should be sold very young while it is moist and creamy, it may have a slight amonia smell from the blue, but if that is too strong, the cheese is too old and should not be eaten (in fact, it shouldn't be sold in the first place, but that's another matter).

Quote:
View Post
I have heard tell of a restaurant I like in London, called Hawksmoor, serving Stilton hollandaise . . . I'm trying to get details of the recipe.
Sounds intriguing, but I'm not sure how that would work at all. I'm sure you can prove me wrong as I also have a recipe for blue Stilton ice cream, and that does work!
__________________
Mike

Monger of fine British Cheeses
Reply With Quote
  #295  
Old 02.08.2010, 20:17
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The British Cheese Centre of Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I have heard tell of a restaurant I like in London, called Hawksmoor, serving Stilton hollandaise . . . I'm trying to get details of the recipe.
I went there for my birthday recently - phenomenal restaurant. Best steak ever. Best chips ever. Great beer.....I asked to rent a basement room but they weren't having any of it.


Edit: The sauce is stickleton or something. It's an unpasteurised Stilton and it's great.
Reply With Quote
  #296  
Old 03.08.2010, 15:18
Gastro Gnome's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,555
Groaned at 50 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The British Cheese Centre of Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I went there for my birthday recently - phenomenal restaurant. Best steak ever. Best chips ever. Great beer.....I asked to rent a basement room but they weren't having any of it.


Edit: The sauce is stickleton or something. It's an unpasteurised Stilton and it's great.
Stichelton. Yes, better than many a Stilton. They offer that on their fantastic burger (Ogleshield is their other cheeseburger choice). I think I posted a picture of their burger on here before.

P.S. Goodman now gives Hawksmoor a run for its money as best steak in London . . . they offer American beef as well as UK and Irish and the corn-feeding alters the taste and texture considerably. I recommend trying Goodman next time you're in London.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Gastro Gnome for this useful post:
  #297  
Old 03.08.2010, 23:04
grumpygrapefruit's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zuriwest
Posts: 6,165
Groaned at 37 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 16,280 Times in 4,252 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The British Cheese Centre of Switzerland

Our best selling Shropshire Blue is on offer at the ZH HB market tomorrow, 45 Chf a Kg down from 54.00. Rachel and Nancy goat, Wigmore, Duddleswell, Sussex Slipcote and Lanark Blue sheep will also be present as well as the usual cheddars and Stilton.

I believe that weejeem will be saying goodbye too, join us for beer, cookies from JLF and my cheesy nibbles from 6.00.
Reply With Quote
  #298  
Old 03.08.2010, 23:07
Shinigami's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gland, Switzerland
Posts: 781
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 325 Times in 219 Posts
Shinigami has an excellent reputationShinigami has an excellent reputationShinigami has an excellent reputationShinigami has an excellent reputation
Re: The British Cheese Centre of Switzerland

Ah, sounds good, wish I could be there. Alas, no business trips to Zurich this week
Reply With Quote
  #299  
Old 03.08.2010, 23:33
JLF JLF is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,188
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 1,383 Times in 510 Posts
JLF has a reputation beyond reputeJLF has a reputation beyond reputeJLF has a reputation beyond reputeJLF has a reputation beyond reputeJLF has a reputation beyond reputeJLF has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The British Cheese Centre of Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Our best selling Shropshire Blue is on offer at the ZH HB market tomorrow, 45 Chf a Kg down from 54.00. Rachel and Nancy goat, Wigmore, Duddleswell, Sussex Slipcote and Lanark Blue sheep will also be present as well as the usual cheddars and Stilton.

I believe that weejeem will be saying goodbye too, join us for beer, cookies from JLF and my cheesy nibbles from 6.00.
Yep, they are just out of the oven as I am writing this. I will be there around 18.30 though. (but if seeingbee arrives before me, she will most likely have them)...

I am looking forward to some Lanark blue, a few beers, and some laughs. With the way this week has gone, it will be (more than) welcome by tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #300  
Old 03.08.2010, 23:48
Gastro Gnome's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,555
Groaned at 50 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The British Cheese Centre of Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Our best selling Shropshire Blue is on offer at the ZH HB market tomorrow, 45 Chf a Kg down from 54.00. Rachel and Nancy goat, Wigmore, Duddleswell, Sussex Slipcote and Lanark Blue sheep will also be present as well as the usual cheddars and Stilton.

I believe that weejeem will be saying goodbye too, join us for beer, cookies from JLF and my cheesy nibbles from 6.00.
The reason I never make the Wednesday sessions is that I have a German lesson at 6.00. Maybe I'll slip out of work early and grab a beer on the way to class, might help lubricate my mind.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bagels, british cheese, cheddar, cheese, english cheese, scottish cheese, shopping, stilton, viadukt, welsh cheese




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (1 members and 2 guests)
anchor
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Orell Füssli, British Cheese tasting grumpygrapefruit Commercial events 13 16.05.2010 15:58
British Landlady transforms pub into 'smoking research centre' Castro International affairs/politics 2 13.05.2009 18:57
British Cheese workshop grumpygrapefruit Commercial events 13 14.02.2009 11:11
The Cheese train finally pulls into Zug. Swiss wine & British cheese tasting grumpygrapefruit Commercial events 18 23.12.2008 09:28
The Cheese Club! Great British Cheese tasting Pack for Christmas! grumpygrapefruit Commercial 49 05.12.2008 07:52


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0