English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Complaints corner (https://www.englishforum.ch/complaints-corner/)
-   -   Smoking on the train platforms.uughh (https://www.englishforum.ch/complaints-corner/105247-smoking-train-platforms-uughh.html)

Nil 05.02.2011 17:20

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
How interesting to see all the smokers going on their balcony to light up. I am curious why....

I guess it is because they don't want their house to smell like crap and they don't want to have to paint the whole place who turned yellowish from the not so bad side effect of the smoke.

Guest 05.02.2011 17:51

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nil (Post 1093789)
How interesting to see all the smokers going on their balcony to light up. I am curious why....

I guess it is because they don't want their house to smell like crap and they don't want to have to paint the whole place who turned yellowish from the not so bad side effect of the smoke.

:msnshock:
Did you use the balcony when you smoked perhaps you can enlighten us? Did you walk away from babies and children or were you as inconsiderate the nasty smokers when you were one?

Just wondering as I can smell the hypocracy from here.

Nil 05.02.2011 18:06

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cata1yst (Post 1093825)
:msnshock:
Did you use the balcony when you smoked perhaps you can enlighten us? Did you walk away from babies and children or were you as inconsiderate the nasty smokers when you were one?

Just wondering as I can smell the hypocracy from here.

Funny :rolleyes:

Because I was a smoker, you assumed that I would act one way that is different then what I believe in. And you are throwing out, by the same occasion the whole speach of Colin about him being a considerate smoker. I guess you do believe that one can't be considerate when smoking?

You don't know me, so how could you assume of hypocrisy... Anyway, your opinion.

I am going to answer you, even if I shouldn't bother. Call it doing it out of respect for what ever you want to call it.

I was not in this country when I was smoking. I was in a country where the majority were smokers. I smoke for 2 of the four years I spend in that country. The last time I smoke a cigarette was in June 2007. I quit cold turkey and never smoked again. I never smoke next to a child because for deep personnal views on that matter. I was smoking in my house. I never smoke ''normal cigarettes'' it was mentol because I never liked the smell nor the taste of the ordinary ones.

Guest 05.02.2011 18:24

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Yet you pool all smokers as inconsiderate people. Funny yeah funny that you'd never group yourself with such terrible people. Perhaps you should not spend your time making sweeping generalizations about people and more time doing something constructive.

When I did smoke I NEVER smoked in the house, near children or where I felt it would upset anyone. I believe in respecting peoples personal space.

You've spent probably the best part of a week talking shite and really most people have no interest in your uninformed sweeping generalizations. You have no idea what you are talking about.

So because they were menthols they had no carcinogens?? That makes it better does it? Child friendly cigarettes were they? Hey it's okay everyone smoked! Erm no its not you were one of the group of people you hate so much right now.

As the English say "trot on"

Nil 05.02.2011 18:30

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cata1yst (Post 1093856)
Yet you pool all smokers as inconsiderate people. Funny yeah funny that you'd never group yourself with such terrible people. Perhaps you should not spend your time making sweeping generalizations about people and more time doing something constructive.

When I did smoke I NEVER smoked in the house, near children or where I felt it would upset anyone. I believe in respecting peoples personal space.

You've spent probably the best part of a week talking shite and really most people have no interest in your uninformed sweeping generalizations. You have no idea what you are talking about.

So because they were menthols they had no carcinogens?? That makes it better does it? Child friendly cigarettes were they? Hey it's okay everyone smoked! Erm no its not you were one of the group of people you hate so much right now.

As the English say "trot on"

I was nice enough to answer you. You didn't read my answers, you took some piece and bits here and there to give you something to throw at me. I never said I didn't respect others, read me again. I knew you will come back with something else because you are looking for some reason to shit your crap on me. I am fine with that if it makes you feel better.

I was leaving alone in my house. You accuse me of generalisation but look all the accusations you do about me, not knowing me at all.

Why don,t you try to stay polite and civilise in this conversation? We don't have to bring it to a personal level. Did I insulted you personally? Did I called you names?

Maybe you want to take a break, have a smoke and come back calmer and more in control of your emotions?

No offense taken.

WhySoSerious? 05.02.2011 18:38

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Mrs 0 quit trolling.

The pattern I am getting from your posts is that you seem to think that you know the best on every subject. If someone has different opinion or POV you start groaning, flashing red cards and calling them a troll.

Nil 05.02.2011 18:41

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhySoSerious? (Post 1093869)
Mrs 0 quit trolling.

The pattern I am getting from your posts is that you seem to think that you know the best on every subject. If someone has different opinion or POV you start groaning, flashing red cards and calling them a troll.

No I just call YOU a troll.

You were kind of funny at the beginning, now you just try to follow me like a puppy everywhere to nag me.

At the beginning, it was kind of funny, now when you talk the only thing I can hear is Bla bla bla...

I didn't see me saying this but hey! Always a first time: Welcome on my Ignore list! ;)

How refreshing! :D

WhySoSerious? 05.02.2011 18:42

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nil (Post 1093789)
How interesting to see all the smokers going on their balcony to light up. I am curious why....

Maybe same reason why you fart in public? :rofl:

Guest 05.02.2011 18:46

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
I read a lot of anal discharge to be honest I got bored. Which most of your posts on this subject are.

Thanks for the advice I don't smoke. What I do object to is you grouping all smokers as inconsiderate child murderers. I WAS one of that group so effectively you are insulting me. Then again you now are a born again non smoker. In my eyes of the worst sort.

You show a lack of respect, understanding and tolerance in reverse from the other side of the fence, as a smoker you probably would have screamed for your rights to smoke.

Perhaps you should think before posting.

I'm chilled but thanks for the concern:)

WhySoSerious? 05.02.2011 18:52

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nil (Post 1093872)
now you just try to follow me like a puppy everywhere to nag me.

You wish! I was not the one following and dishing out groans and red cards. When I gave you bit of your own medicine back you started crying like a baby.

You know and I know that even if you put me on your ignore list you will still read my posts when logged off. You know why? It's because you have nothing better to do and you have replaced your menthol cigarette addiction with internet addiction:rofl:

Btw the coffee invitation still stands but you have to earn it first by scraping that thing off my balcony :)

http://i.imgur.com/dFje5.gif

Nil 05.02.2011 19:04

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cata1yst (Post 1093874)
I read a lot of anal discharge to be honest I got bored. Which most of your posts on this subject are.

Thanks for the advice I don't smoke. What I do object to is you grouping all smokers as inconsiderate child murderers. I WAS one of that group so effectively you are insulting me. Then again you now are a born again non smoker. In my eyes of the worst sort.

You show a lack of respect, understanding and tolerance in reverse from the other side of the fence, as a smoker you probably would have screamed for your rights to smoke.

Perhaps you should think before posting.

I'm chilled but thanks for the concern:)

I least you got on a better tone. Look, You should read me again. I have no problem what so ever with someone who wants to smoke. I have a problem with someone who believe that it is his right to do so everywhere, as his conditions and wishes. It goes in both way. Please read me again, I am not sending the smokers to hell, not at all.

Now, if what I am saying is just shit to you, you have this great option on the forum to put me on ignore list. It is great, it works wonderfully! I don't agree with your opinions on this subject, but I still enough respectful to not come down to names calling and personnal bashing.

It is just opinions after all! And I am entitle to mine and to stick to it as you can with yours.

Pants-Face 05.02.2011 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nil (Post 1093787)
Wow, now we fall in the ''let's make any kind of arguments to make a point.''

Since we have some pollution around us, cigarettes smoke shoudln't be a problem. If someone light up some scent at home, cigarettes shouldn't be a problem....

:rolleyes: Is it how you think you'll convince non-smokers to become tolerant?

-Oh! Right, I didn't think about the polution my child breath everyday, but since it is now so clear, let's go and sit next to this smoker, because hey! It won't hurt us, right?

This is a killer argument, I am surprise that the pro-smokers didn't use it when doing their campaign against the ban...

:rolleyes:

Right...because putting words in my post that weren't there and making assumptions to prove your point ARE characteristics of a "killer argument"...

I never said second-hand smoke is okay because there are other forms of pollution out there, you said that.

No, it just irritates me when people are ignorant and hypocritical!
The same people who are extremely vocal about second-hand smoke go and stand with their stroller next to the road while waiting for a tram. You CANNOT tell me that the emissions from a car are less harmful than that of a cigarette!

The same people go and spray their baby's room and entire house with air "freshener", which is composed only of chemicals, and has been linked to lung disease.

And the same people continue to microwave their baby's milk and then run their baby's plastic milk bottles through the dishwasher...dioxins released from plastics have been also directly linked to cancer!!

My point was, if these people were really as health-conscious as they claim to be, they wouldn't do all these other things. It means they saw on television that second-hand smoke is BAD and now they only focus on that, as if that was the only harmful thing out there.

If I smoke but try to claim I am healthy because I jog every week, does that make it true..? Not at all. So sure, get upset about second-hand smoke, but then ACTUALLY be conscious about the health effects of everything in your reality - my issue isn't with the concern about your health, it's the self-righteous witch hunt executed by the masses of scientific-illiterates that follows.

Brass427 05.02.2011 20:02

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nil (Post 1093636)
Let me guess..... you are a smoker...:rolleyes:

To answer all your questions in once:

Yes I am a Queen and everyone should bow when seeing me.

No, actually, I'm a non-smoker.

To cover all issues in once:

If you hold your breath, you will avoid inhaling sidestream smoke and simultaneously measure the time you'll need for people to bow to you.

Two birds with one stone!

Nil 05.02.2011 20:32

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants-Face (Post 1093917)
Right...because putting words in my post that weren't there and making assumptions to prove your point ARE characteristics of a "killer argument"...

I wasn't pointing at your post in particular but someone else to.

I never said second-hand smoke is okay because there are other forms of pollution out there, you said that.

You do realise that I didn't even quote you?

No, it just irritates me when people are ignorant and hypocritical!
The same people who are extremely vocal about second-hand smoke go and stand with their stroller next to the road while waiting for a tram. You CANNOT tell me that the emissions from a car are less harmful than that of a cigarette!

I find it hypocritical when someone wants to force his smoke on others but won't smoke in his own house. I am not saying that pollution is better or worse, but I am saying that to compare both are useless. We talk about behaviour here. About respect of each other. About the fact that smokers are saying being victims of the non-smokers vindications and the non-smokers saying they had enough to be tolerant.

The same people go and spray their baby's room and entire house with air "freshener", which is composed only of chemicals, and has been linked to lung disease.

That is pretty stupid in my book too.

And the same people continue to microwave their baby's milk and then run their baby's plastic milk bottles through the dishwasher...dioxins released from plastics have been also directly linked to cancer!!

Like breathing air, eating meat, using cosmetics, etc.

My point was, if these people were really as health-conscious as they claim to be, they wouldn't do all these other things. It means they saw on television that second-hand smoke is BAD and now they only focus on that, as if that was the only harmful thing out there.

Nope, I think that you are missing this point here. It is not about being health-conscious but having the right to chose what they want to breath or not. I don't jump behing a car to smell it, I don't bath myself into parfum, etc. I don't want to sit next to someone (or the someone to sit next to me) and breath their smoke! It's stink, it makes me cough and it is unplaisant. I chose to not smoke, I wish those smokers would respect that and not force their smoke on me.

If I smoke but try to claim I am healthy because I jog every week, does that make it true..? Not at all.

If you jog 5 times a week and smoke, you still healthier than the majority of us.

So sure, get upset about second-hand smoke, but then ACTUALLY be conscious about the health effects of everything in your reality - my issue isn't with the concern about your health, it's the self-righteous witch hunt executed by the masses of scientific-illiterates that follows.

My issue is about having the choice! To chose to eat healthy or not, to do sports or not, to smoke or not. It is my decision and I am the one to deal with the consequences. But when someone force his smoke on me, I am dealing with his choices and I am dealing with his consequences, which become my problem.

I will repeat it for the last time.

I don't care if George smokes. He can smokes 2 packs a day. But when he do so, he can step aside where no one is going to be disturbed and he can smoke in peace. When he is done, he can join back the crowd and no one will feel offended from each other.

Why this is so difficult?

Wollishofener 05.02.2011 22:52

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Should laws for all be made for the benefit of a few? The vast majority of us are perfectly capable of shifting our lazy bottoms a few feet away from those awful smokers. That's nowhere near as much fun as making a big fuss about it, though, is it?




Well, that is what tolerance is all about. For some reason, people seem to think that it's about liking stuff, celebrating stuff, approving of stuff. It isn't. Tolerance is about accepting the fact that other people are human just as we are. Tolerance is about accepting the fact that if we give people a bit of leeway for not being perfect, they might be more inclined to give us a bit of leeway for not being perfect.

I don't like people smoking round me, but they probably don't like me gobbing off in English in their presence, either. If I can get on their nerves, they have a right to get on mine. That's what civilised society is all about.



Because it is no longer acceptable to lynch black people and beat up Jews.

There always has to be a scapegoat. ;)
It is a matter of the balance. I support what we have in the Canton of Zurich now and wish that it is carried through. But I am rather critical about notions to make it even stricter. I mean, to have covered halls in rail-stations included might be an idea, but to have rail-platforms and parks and pedestrians areas (trottoirs etc) included clearly NO ! When the smokers-lobby in Solothurn thought they could topple the Cantonal Smoking Ban there they got a clear defeat in the resulting public vote, if however the other side thinks they could stiffen even the Cantonal Bans they most likely also are to get a defeat.

Somebody above mentioned the point that SBB/CFF/FFS dropped the smokers wagons. This however was NOT done for "ideological" reasons but because the maintenance of the smokers wagons costed twice as much as the maintenance of the other wagons. Therefore, as soon as the smokers are ready to pay 200% for their tickets, I will happily support the restart of smokers-wagons on the SBB-network ;) ..... There then might be "rolling fumoirs" with cigars-bars selling Havanna-Cigars, noble pipe-tobaccos, etc :) On the trains between St. Gallen and Geneva and Schaffhausen and Chiasso you might have Rolling Sheesha Bars, offering Sheeshas with the full range of some 24 Sheesha flavours, also selling CDs with Arab and Turkish music ! :D

Wollishofener 05.02.2011 22:56

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

They'd better join the queue.

The Israelis, Serbs and Americans got there first... ;)
You forgot the Italians, Arabs and Turks ! ;) who got there before the 3 nations you mentioned

AnAustralian 05.02.2011 23:15

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Dont mind smoking on platforms etc, but i really dislike smokers littering their butts all over the place, Zurich seems to be covered in Butts. really a shame to such a town with long history that people litter so readily. It annoys me when people just drop their butts on the platform, even when there are displosable units for this purpose.

Brass427 06.02.2011 11:55

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nil (Post 1093787)
Wow, now we fall in the ''let's make any kind of arguments to make a point.''

Since we have some pollution around us, cigarettes smoke shoudln't be a problem. If someone light up some scent at home, cigarettes shouldn't be a problem....

:rolleyes: Is it how you think you'll convince non-smokers to become tolerant?

-Oh! Right, I didn't think about the polution my child breath everyday, but since it is now so clear, let's go and sit next to this smoker, because hey! It won't hurt us, right?

This is a killer argument, I am surprise that the pro-smokers didn't use it when doing their campaign against the ban...

:rolleyes:

The argument is not incorrect.

But a profile is emerging: It's not really the smoke. It's the fact that someone dared to do something in your immediate vicinity despite your voiced disapproval.

So mightn't it be fair to assume that you are not only intolerant, but also a control freak that covers their ears and sings "La, la, la, la.." whenever someone disagrees?

Hint: Better get over that before your kid gets into his/her teens. They might...horrors, dare I say it... smoke. :D

Nil 06.02.2011 12:05

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brass427 (Post 1094334)
The argument is not incorrect.

But a profile is emerging: It's not really the smoke. It's the fact that someone dared to do something in your immediate vicinity despite your voiced disapproval.

So mightn't it be fair to assume that you are not only intolerant, but also a control freak that covers their ears and sings "La, la, la, la.." whenever someone disagrees?

Hint: Better get over that before your kid gets into his/her teens. They might...horrors, dare I say it... smoke. :D

How is that being intolerant? You tell me, that a non-smoker should be tolerant of someone else smoke for the sake of being called tolerant? WTF!

Really? :rolleyes: And that makes me a control freak!

It is pretty amusing to see people here getting offensive and nasty when it comes to non-smoker to ''speak up'' like Colin suggest non-smokers should do.

Colin, I hope you got my point about it earlier? This is a very good exemple. Let's call names and insults.

I am not going to jump into this. Call me bitch, intolerant, narcissistic, drama queen, control freak, crazy, racist, terrorist, name it.

Your insults doesn't make you look credible in an argument.

omtatsat 06.02.2011 12:12

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Well I think they should also forbid eating on trams and buses. The stink from that Imbiss Döner etc really turns my stomach.
Yes smokers should have NULL privileges.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:24.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0