Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #401  
Old 15.06.2015, 21:01
Patsycat's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 2,246
Groaned at 50 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 2,918 Times in 1,146 Posts
Patsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond reputePatsycat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post
Not such a nice thing to say - pretty childish...




I'm not sure you qualify for respect with your attitude...
I was trying to have a laugh!!
The following 2 users would like to thank Patsycat for this useful post:
  #402  
Old 15.06.2015, 21:03
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,341
Groaned at 680 Times in 528 Posts
Thanked 26,406 Times in 10,643 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post
I was trying to have a laugh!!
I don't think you were. I think you have utter contempt for people who would rather sit in a smoke-free environment.

Unfortunately that makes you fit in rather well in Switzerland.
  #403  
Old 16.06.2015, 09:21
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 338 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 26,263 Times in 11,000 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post
yes voted by the people because swiss people are known for being independent individualist unbiased thinkers. NOT. in a country with such high per capita income and purchasing power yet the majority of people rent do not own their home...
The big advantage of democracy is that the people decide.
The big disadvantage is that the people decide.

I don't see any evidence that the people here are not unbiased thinkers. Many votes have not gone the way the government wanted them to, so its certainly not a case of vote as we tell you and shut up. My Swiss friends discuss politics a lot and on an intelligent and analytical level and listen and analyze rather than just sticking to pre-conceived opinions. In the other countries I lived political discussions rarely got past the level of "this government sucks" or personality cults around their favourite hero (which is how phenomena such as Obama and Blair come to be). I actually find that one of the great refreshing things about Switzerland.

Maybe the people don't vote as you would want. But then maybe you need to differentiate between being ubiassed and not agreeing with you.

I don't see what not owning a home has to do with not being an independent thinker. Back in blighty we once had a law that only landowners and such people could vote. We introduced universal suffrage and generally we consider that a good thing. For some people not owning property is the smart thing. It can depend on circumstances. Are you sure you're not falling into the trap of thinking, "I'm smart and I own property therefore people who don't own property aren't smart?"
The following 5 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #404  
Old 16.06.2015, 10:35
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Swiss Confederation
Posts: 11,501
Groaned at 409 Times in 335 Posts
Thanked 17,648 Times in 8,925 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post

For some people not owning property is the smart thing. It can depend on circumstances. Are you sure you're not falling into the trap of thinking, "I'm smart and I own property therefore people who don't own property aren't smart?"
Yes, amogles, it's a "smart" thing not being able to pass something onto next generations so they can have a start on a different level...anyway, I guess it's a question of mentality so we don't need to agree with each other.
  #405  
Old 16.06.2015, 10:35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Geneva
Posts: 361
Groaned at 129 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 273 Times in 144 Posts
bigfujitsu is considered knowledgeablebigfujitsu is considered knowledgeablebigfujitsu is considered knowledgeable
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

smoking in the underground station might seem as a huge violation and an assault on your health. But lets be realistic, there is also shit and piss all over the tracks which create all kind of gasses, toxins and particles which you intake into your body. Next time you see someone entering a toilet in the station you better take action!

Switzerland, where small things are a big deal!


Cow 'emissions' more damaging to planet than CO2 from cars

Meet the world's top destroyer of the environment. It is not the car, or the plane,or even George Bush: it is the cow.

A United Nations report has identified the world's rapidly growing herds of cattle as the greatest threat to the climate, forests and wildlife. And they are blamed for a host of other environmental crimes, from acid rain to the introduction of alien species, from producing deserts to creating dead zones in the oceans, from poisoning rivers and drinking water to destroying coral reefs.

The 400-page report by the Food and Agricultural Organisation, entitled Livestock's Long Shadow, also surveys the damage done by sheep, chickens, pigs and goats. But in almost every case, the world's 1.5 billion cattle are most to blame. Livestock are responsible for 18 per cent of the greenhouse gases that cause global warming, more than cars, planes and all other forms of transport put together.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...rs-427843.html
The following 4 users would like to thank bigfujitsu for this useful post:
  #406  
Old 16.06.2015, 10:43
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,725
Groaned at 2,628 Times in 1,870 Posts
Thanked 39,832 Times in 18,789 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post
Yes, amogles, it's a smart thing not being able to pass something onto next generations so they can have a start on a different level...
What does owning a house have to do with passing something on to the next generation?

And how does inheriting stuff when you are 60 or 70 allow one to start on a different level?

Tom
The following 3 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #407  
Old 16.06.2015, 11:26
p42's Avatar
p42 p42 is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kanton Schwyz.
Posts: 841
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 431 Times in 278 Posts
p42 has an excellent reputationp42 has an excellent reputationp42 has an excellent reputationp42 has an excellent reputation
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Vegetarians of the world also create their fair share of C02 just like cows. I do my best to rid the planet of cows by eating them when I get offered a nice slice.

Quote:
View Post
smoking in the underground station might seem as a huge violation and an assault on your health. But lets be realistic, there is also shit and piss all over the tracks which create all kind of gasses, toxins and particles which you intake into your body. Next time you see someone entering a toilet in the station you better take action!

Switzerland, where small things are a big deal!


Cow 'emissions' more damaging to planet than CO2 from cars

Meet the world's top destroyer of the environment. It is not the car, or the plane,or even George Bush: it is the cow.

A United Nations report has identified the world's rapidly growing herds of cattle as the greatest threat to the climate, forests and wildlife. And they are blamed for a host of other environmental crimes, from acid rain to the introduction of alien species, from producing deserts to creating dead zones in the oceans, from poisoning rivers and drinking water to destroying coral reefs.

The 400-page report by the Food and Agricultural Organisation, entitled Livestock's Long Shadow, also surveys the damage done by sheep, chickens, pigs and goats. But in almost every case, the world's 1.5 billion cattle are most to blame. Livestock are responsible for 18 per cent of the greenhouse gases that cause global warming, more than cars, planes and all other forms of transport put together.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...rs-427843.html
  #408  
Old 16.06.2015, 11:30
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 3,754
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 4,537 Times in 2,076 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post
The 400-page report by the Food and Agricultural Organisation, entitled Livestock's Long Shadow, also surveys the damage done by sheep, chickens, pigs and goats. But in almost every case, the world's 1.5 billion cattle are most to blame. Livestock are responsible for 18 per cent of the greenhouse gases that cause global warming, more than cars, planes and all other forms of transport put together.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...rs-427843.html
Interesting, shame there isn't a link to the original report.

There are a couple of clangers - ammonia is a base, not an acid, and although cows may use a huge amount of water I've seen them piss and that is equally impressive at putting it back into the ground

Probably Swiss cows are a lot more environmentally friendly than most US ones.
  #409  
Old 16.06.2015, 11:43
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post
smoking in the underground station might seem as a huge violation and an assault on your health. But lets be realistic, there is also shit and piss all over the tracks which create all kind of gasses, toxins and particles which you intake into your body. Next time you see someone entering a toilet in the station you better take action!

Not since along time, all in sceptic tanks now !
  #410  
Old 16.06.2015, 14:21
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 338 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 26,263 Times in 11,000 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
Not since along time, all in sceptic tanks now !
Not to mention septic tanks.
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #411  
Old 16.06.2015, 14:24
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,653
Groaned at 279 Times in 230 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post
Not to mention septic tanks.
Are those the same tanks loaded on to planes that spray Chemtrails?
This user would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #412  
Old 16.06.2015, 15:24
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 3,754
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 4,537 Times in 2,076 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post
Not to mention septic tanks.
Actually sceptic tanks was better - only 60% currently have tanks

http://www.sbb.ch/en/group/the-compa...en/wasser.html
  #413  
Old 16.06.2015, 15:27
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 3,754
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 4,537 Times in 2,076 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post
Are those the same tanks loaded on to planes that spray Chemtrails?
Wouldn't they be brown in that case?
  #414  
Old 16.06.2015, 16:52
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 338 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 26,263 Times in 11,000 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post
Wouldn't they be brown in that case?
They're making the snow yellow.

Have you ever wondered where all that stuff goes when you flush the loo on a plane?
  #415  
Old 16.06.2015, 19:04
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Swiss Confederation
Posts: 11,501
Groaned at 409 Times in 335 Posts
Thanked 17,648 Times in 8,925 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post
What does owning a house have to do with passing something on to the next generation?

And how does inheriting stuff when you are 60 or 70 allow one to start on a different level?

Tom
Actually the issue was owning a house (which you could obviously pass it on to your children/grandchildren) vs. renting all your life (being a tenant all your life, in other words). I'm personally not happy at all that each month those over 2000 chf representing rent just go out of the window..well they do go into some pockets heh (and please don't get me started on buying a house in CH)
Anyway we're off topic, back to those dirty smokers.
  #416  
Old 17.06.2015, 09:42
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 338 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 26,263 Times in 11,000 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post
Actually the issue was owning a house (which you could obviously pass it on to your children/grandchildren) vs. renting all your life (being a tenant all your life, in other words). I'm personally not happy at all that each month those over 2000 chf representing rent just go out of the window..well they do go into some pockets heh (and please don't get me started on buying a house in CH)
Well they don't really get out of the window. You get to live in an apartment in return for that money. In the same way that the money you spend on food, clothes and vacations isn't gone out of the window but you gained something in return. If you think you're spending too much on rent, look for a cheaper appartment. As I said previosuly, whether or not buying makes sense depends on the circumstances and it would be incorrect to claim that it is a good strategy in all circumstances or that those who don't do it aren't smart.
The following 4 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #417  
Old 17.06.2015, 10:18
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 10,035
Groaned at 579 Times in 419 Posts
Thanked 13,491 Times in 7,013 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post
Interesting, shame there isn't a link to the original report.
FAO: LIVESTOCK'S LONG SHADOW
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #418  
Old 17.06.2015, 21:00
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lucerne
Posts: 17
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Christelg has no particular reputation at present
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post
Polite smokers? What planet are you from?

Switzerland is like the final bastion for smokers. They love it, everyone smokes as if their lungs were made of leather and pop-rivets. An autopsy would reveal a little 'Swiss Made' label on their windbags.
Hahahaha you're hilarious I love it!
  #419  
Old 18.06.2015, 00:19
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: 8833
Posts: 18
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Dogoftheday has no particular reputation at present
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Quote:
View Post
Well they don't really get out of the window. You get to live in an apartment in return for that money. In the same way that the money you spend on food, clothes and vacations isn't gone out of the window but you gained something in return. If you think you're spending too much on rent, look for a cheaper appartment. As I said previosuly, whether or not buying makes sense depends on the circumstances and it would be incorrect to claim that it is a good strategy in all circumstances or that those who don't do it aren't smart.
Can we get back to the topic of the thread ie smoking on platforms? Sorry but it makes me smile after a hard day
  #420  
Old 18.06.2015, 07:41
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,653
Groaned at 279 Times in 230 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh

Can we now add "Smokers who light up as they are stepping off the train" and "Smokers who light and smoke as they walk through the station underpass"

My ex-MIL was a heavy smoker and I asked her why she never "smoked and walked" - she (Swiss - farmer's daughter) responded was "what poor people did".
Closed Thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smoking in the balcony :-O jamaicanRUM Complaints corner 169 17.10.2020 01:24
Ch-Ch-Changes - after the Smoking Ban NicM Daily life 14 16.05.2010 13:22
Online Bidding Platforms For Construction btb Commercial 2 26.10.2009 07:07
Smoking in restaurants mark Complaints corner 142 16.08.2008 20:13


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0