English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Complaints corner (https://www.englishforum.ch/complaints-corner/)
-   -   Smoking on the train platforms.uughh (https://www.englishforum.ch/complaints-corner/105247-smoking-train-platforms-uughh.html)

phdoofus 01.02.2011 13:57

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by swissrob (Post 1088407)
I had the misfortune of having a very atracttive young lady sit next to me today on the metro, not normaly a problem other than the fact she stank of cigarettes:msnsick::msnsick:

Nothing turns me off about a woman faster than watching her light up.

A few times a day, my American officemate stinks like a forest fire in a cheap Russian cigarette factory. :mad: Fortunately, I'm not atracteed to him. ;-)

WhySoSerious? 01.02.2011 14:41

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Lost in Bread you lose credibility by doing a 180° turn when it comes to cigar smoke. Cigars absolutely stink! You don't mind the smell of cigars? Well some don't mind the smell of cigarettes. What is the difference?

As far as smokers are concerned they are all insecure emos by default and need a ciggy to lean on. What is wrong with good old fashioned cane? If they can't quit smoking the least they can do is to quit whining.

Now that I have given some deep hurting to both smokers and non smokers I hope both sets of losers can find a common target in me and fire away some groans.


http://i.imgur.com/fkQQZ.png

lost_inbroad 01.02.2011 14:48

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhySoSerious? (Post 1088503)
Lost in Bread you lose credibility by doing a 180° turn when it comes to cigar smoke. Cigars absolutely stink! You don't mind the smell of cigars? Well some don't mind the smell of cigarettes. What is the difference?

As far as smokers are concerned they are all insecure emos by default and need a ciggy to lean on. What is wrong with good old fashioned cane? If they can't quit smoking the least they can do is to quit whining.

Now that I have given some deep hurting to both smokers and non smokers I hope both sets of losers can find a common target in me and fire away some groans.

...ehm, thank you for your kind words. I didn't know that I had credibility to begin with.

colinwheeler 01.02.2011 16:59

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by swissrob (Post 1088407)
Also have noticed smokers are starting to flout the law, slowy but surely smoking in small bars,train and metro stations.

There are a number of bars that allow smoking, legally as I understand if they are under a certain size.

Guest 01.02.2011 17:10

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Even Indian railways managed not only to ban smoking on their trains but also on all railway property.

They move 10+ million people per day - and in India!

The SBB must be able to do it of they wished, it is so unpleasant following smokers on either platforms or in the underpasses.

Jerry

Guest 01.02.2011 17:10

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
They should all be lined up against a wall and shot. :msnmad:

What are we talking about, again?

adrianlondon 01.02.2011 17:44

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

They should all be lined up against a wall and shot. :msnmad:

What are we talking about, again?
Fashion models?

mirfield 01.02.2011 18:07

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

They should all be lined up against a wall and shot. :msnmad:
You'll only get people whining about blood spatter.

colinwheeler 01.02.2011 18:10

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Or the smell of gun-power on their clothes and hair.

Nil 01.02.2011 18:14

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
And so you know how difficult it is to clean blood?

In Switzerland you have to give back the place in perfect condition... And you'll lose your deposit.

Guest 01.02.2011 18:21

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsluty (Post 1088744)
Even Indian railways managed not only to ban smoking on their trains but also on all railway property.

They move 10+ million people per day - and in India!

The SBB must be able to do it of they wished, it is so unpleasant following smokers on either platforms or in the underpasses.

Jerry

Yes but it's quite acceptable to drop your kecks and squeeze one out on the platform in India. :msncrazy:

Yes it really did happen and yes a friend was told to put his smoke out by local police when he pointed at the guy mid dump out at the other end of the platform the policeman looked the other way.

dodgyken 01.02.2011 18:27

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Not all smoke is equal. A good pipe blend can smell great. There are some brands of cigarettes over here that really do stink with a nasty horrid acrid smoke - no idea why'd you want to inhale that.

jacek 01.02.2011 18:45

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Hubbly-bubbly (hooka or shisha) with apple flavoured tobacco, which is arguably more harmful to your lungs than ciggies, is the only thing that I couldn't resist to smoke!

colinwheeler 01.02.2011 19:06

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacek (Post 1088873)
Hubbly-bubbly (snip) which is arguably more harmful to your lungs than ciggies

Yup, about a packet of smokes to one pipe according to the medical guys in the UK in one report.:eek:

Soixante_neuf 02.02.2011 11:26

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AbFab (Post 1087529)
Ah the bi-annual smoking thread. With the customary smoker caught in the headlights.

I just had a final thought on this subject.

As smoking becomes more socially unacceptable, less people smoke and so it becomes less unacceptable ad infintium (or until everyone stops smoking anyway)

Therefore, if smoking was banned on plaforms, the act of smoking becomes that little bit more visually weird, so people will then be offended by smoking in, say, a park, which wouldn't have even been worth a mention a few years ago.

So, almost be definition, non-smokers will be offended by smokers for ever, its just the phyiscal location that will change.

Nil 02.02.2011 11:34

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Our daycare is a building where other companies are too. As much as I understand that, it still bother me that all the kids have to pass through a cloud of smoke everytime we come in or go out of the building... Where is the ashtray? Right next to the doors.

Soixante_neuf 02.02.2011 11:38

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nil (Post 1089580)
Our daycare is a building where other companies are too. As much as I understand that, it still bother me that all the kids have to pass through a cloud of smoke everytime we come in or go out of the building... Where is the ashtray? Right next to the doors.

Just to be über-argumentative...if they could still smoke in their nice warm offices this wouldn't be a problem, would it?

[and yes I am (kindof) kidding]

Nil 02.02.2011 11:48

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soixante_neuf (Post 1089591)
Just to be über-argumentative...if they could still smoke in their nice warm offices this wouldn't be a problem, would it?

[and yes I am (kindof) kidding]

Yep you are right, and this is why in Canada they made the law clear that they have to smoke in a design area away from the doors.

jacek 02.02.2011 12:00

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
I think that the problem with smoking on platforms is very much linked to lack of snow these days. In such gloomy days of misery even I feel like puffing :D Come more snow, the order will be restored.

colinwheeler 02.02.2011 13:29

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nil (Post 1089580)
Our daycare is a building where other companies are too. As much as I understand that, it still bother me that all the kids have to pass through a cloud of smoke everytime we come in or go out of the building... Where is the ashtray? Right next to the doors.

Did you ask them to change it?

Guest 02.02.2011 13:38

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nil (Post 1089606)
Yep you are right, and this is why in Canada they made the law clear that they have to smoke in a design area away from the doors.

Nunavut? ....

Nil 02.02.2011 13:50

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Nunavut? ....
And Kuujjuaq.

A tad cold at this time of the year but it does help a lot of people to quit smoking when your both nostrils stick together...

Wollishofener 02.02.2011 22:59

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soixante_neuf (Post 1087588)
Come on then, i'll bite...enlighten me, why is saying that a plaform (open to the air) is a slice of the outdoors, dumb?

http://www.nationalcorridors.org/df2/df11102008b.jpg

The place on your photo IS outdoors, but the following ones



http://www.schweizfotos.com/data/pic...etail/2111.jpg









http://www.schweizfotos.com/data/pic...etail/2116.jpg

http://www.schweizfotos.com/data/pic...etail/2115.jpg

clearly are NOT outdoors but indoors
--
--
and the perrons at Bahnhof Stadelhofen



are not really outdoors

while THESE stations below were "outdoors"



http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...wCiJnZCtl6SVMQhttp://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...izERCTwShhoWyA

are/were outdoors beyond doubt :)

I just heard today that one of the places I reported to the "police district City of Opfikon-Glattbrugg has to rebuild a bit and to establish a decent air-conditioning and the the second one was fined as everybody was smoking when the two agents got in there. I suppose that the worthy chief there will now take care ! :D And the fire-police of the City of O-G will make yearly controls of all cafés, bars, pubs, and restaurants in regard to safety, fresh-air and smoking facilities.

colinwheeler 02.02.2011 23:09

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Fair enough, Zurich HB smells like an old ashtray. Baden on the other hand is okay and most smokers smoke well back from the platform where it does not effect others.
It is a pity that the smokers can't be a little more considderate.

jacek 02.02.2011 23:14

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by colinwheeler (Post 1090725)
Fair enough, Zurich HB smells like an old ashtray. Baden on the other hand is okay and most smokers smoke well back from the platform where it does not effect others.
It is a pity that the smokers can't be a little more considderate.

I have always believed that Aargauers were better and more considerate lot than pompous Zürichers, although former are "kak" drivers but don't blow the smoke into your face!

Chuff 02.02.2011 23:18

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
I used to smoke a lot, and while I don't mind train stations so much, it still winds me up when people walk into small bus shelters with their cigarettes and fill the area with smoke, I find that pretty inconsiderate to non-smokers.

Wollishofener 02.02.2011 23:18

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lost_inbroad (Post 1088197)
..that must be why people were staring at me huh?! :msnsarcastic: :D

Relax ! You would be stared at if you looked like

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...lfgNBGWV4JMVbw

Wollishofener 02.02.2011 23:29

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacek (Post 1088873)
Hubbly-bubbly (hooka or shisha) with apple flavoured tobacco, which is arguably more harmful to your lungs than ciggies, is the only thing that I couldn't resist to smoke!

If you abstain from taking it into your lungs but just enjoy the flavour and then "push" it out, it is far less harmful. AND most of all, you need some time to smoke your sheesha.

Chain-smoking with a sheesha is not really the thing !

And with a sheesha, you can leave it for some minutes and then re-start.

Beside the point that sheesha-smoking encourages a peaceful mood ! :)

jacek 02.02.2011 23:38

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wollishofener (Post 1090739)
If you abstain from taking it into your lungs but just enjoy the flavour and then "push" it out, it is far less harmful. AND most of all, you need some time to smoke your sheesha.

Chain-smoking with a sheesha is not really the thing !

And with a sheesha, you can leave it for some minutes and then re-start.

Beside the point that sheesha-smoking encourages a peaceful mood ! :)


I'm a big fun of occasional social shisha smoking with Arabic coffee. We have a small hubbly-bubbly at home but after running out of tobacco my wife has better mood when she doesn't see me smoking it.

Cigars and flavoured tobaccos used responsibly is my once a year treat, provided that I delight in it in cafe full of other likeminded smokers and without affecting non smokers. There kept on topic!

nickatbasel 02.02.2011 23:59

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 1087545)
but my daughters do, as has every woman I've ever dated

Erm....too much information there, mate.

Cheers,
Nick

nickatbasel 03.02.2011 00:00

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
And if you do it indoors you can deny them a last cigarette :-)

Quote:

They should all be lined up against a wall and shot.

Peg A 03.02.2011 00:45

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 1088171)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nil (Post 1088143)
This gives me a great idea, we should carry a freshner bottle and when someone comes next to us to smoke, we push some freshner in the air around us! That will make a point! :D

Not a good idea. Most air fresheners make me puke.

Tom


And...? I happen to think it is a fantastic idea, as many smokers have become so desensitized to the awful smell of smoke that they don't realize just how bad it is for folks who otherwise are never around smoke.

So, if the smell of air freshener makes someone who smells of smoke feel icky, so much the better as THEY are already making it difficult for me to breathe. Turn about is fair play.

jacek 03.02.2011 09:19

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
I'm already desensitized by aroma of brewing coffe in my office, nevermind being an addict of few cups a day. It's tough life everywhere I go... Either there will be smokers, coffee brewers or in summer time BBQ air polluters. Even if I go on holidays to Venice in spring there will be this distinct foul stink of fish and water from local canals. Its bad out there I'm telling ya....

Only Alps guarantee escape but there again those fertilizers and cowsh.t drive me crazy. Then I decided not to worry anymore. Live and let live (or die)!

olygirl 03.02.2011 09:32

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
And then there's people smoking pot on the playground next to the Einsiedeln church.

Disgusting stench, I tell ya. And the circumstances were oh so wrong too.

st2lemans 03.02.2011 10:44

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peg A (Post 1090787)
And...? I happen to think it is a fantastic idea, as many smokers have become so desensitized to the awful smell of smoke that they don't realize just how bad it is for folks who otherwise are never around smoke.

So, if the smell of air freshener makes someone who smells of smoke feel icky, so much the better as THEY are already making it difficult for me to breathe. Turn about is fair play.

Ummm, I don't smoke, I just hate air-fresheners (and perfume, and cologne).

Tom

colinwheeler 03.02.2011 15:22

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peg A (Post 1090787)
Turn about is fair play.

Ah, the holy wrath, an eye for an eye, no mommy, he hit me first, revenge, reverse discrimination....
All excellent ways to solve problems no?:msnblush:

MusicChick 03.02.2011 16:04

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacek (Post 1090853)
I'm already desensitized by aroma of brewing coffe in my office, nevermind being an addict of few cups a day. It's tough life everywhere I go... Either there will be smokers, coffee brewers or in summer time BBQ air polluters. Even if I go on holidays to Venice in spring there will be this distinct foul stink of fish and water from local canals. Its bad out there I'm telling ya....

Only Alps guarantee escape but there again those fertilizers and cowsh.t drive me crazy. Then I decided not to worry anymore. Live and let live (or die)!

Actually, odour polution is a serious part of health risk assessment in environmental issues, health impact, etc. (like light polution, noise, etc) Experts measure toxic part of it, but also how people who are exposed to it assess the odour on a scale: "pleasant, numb to it, considered ok, aggravating, can't stand it, etc".. People I know are in this biz so I know about it, eg. back home if there are fertilizers used too much and people complain, the level of nytrogens, dioxins, etc is measured and people have to be questioned if they consider the regular "cow shite" odour as ok or not. You wouldn't believe there are people who love it, it symbolises health/farming/pure lifestyle/clean air to them, even though it can be, like anything else we sniff too much, really bugging some people. If I remember well, it was the impact on overall wellbeing that banned a couple of very intense fertilizing procedures, back home.

Now, for the coffee smell.......hmmmmmmmm, can't get enough of it. When preggo, I'd gag, but it's so nice.

The air fresheners, are toxic , too, if they are constant (surface cleaners, perfumes as well, people I know specialized in measuring terpens in those, the studies started 15-10yrs ago, even essential oils burners polute, febreeze, blech), nothing healthy about it.

I am just trying to figure out why our lame Migros kettle still smells like burned plastic, when I heat the water in it, 3mo after we bought it. Makes the coffee smell bad, too.

Ok, back to cigs.

Quax 03.02.2011 21:36

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Hmmm, I get annoyed about the smoking here as well, more so than in London. My current theory is that it is more noticeable because the air quality is better. I feel sorry for the younger people who smoke - the impact on their health/etc and it just looks so sad...I briefly tried smoking when I was at the uni and stopped purely because I watched my room mate in 1 year turn into a dermatological case study, with shallow, wrinkly, yellowish skin...Was enough of an incentive to quit!

email 03.02.2011 21:53

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
I thought they banned smoking in bus stops and train stations in swiss....

baboon 03.02.2011 22:14

Re: Smoking on the train platforms.uughh
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by colinwheeler (Post 1091332)
Ah, the holy wrath, an eye for an eye, no mommy, he hit me first, revenge, reverse discrimination....
All excellent ways to solve problems no?:msnblush:

OK, what's your solution? That doesn't involve the non smoking majority having to breathe in your fumes that is.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:01.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0