Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 18.02.2011, 21:41
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,729
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,942 Times in 3,654 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People that park where they feel like!

I tend to get my driver to pull up at tram stops. What they do with my vehicle between then and when I want picking up isn't my problem.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 19.02.2011, 00:02
Suisse2008's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Genf/Waadt
Posts: 298
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 262 Times in 134 Posts
Suisse2008 has earned some respectSuisse2008 has earned some respect
Re: People that park where they feel like!

Quote:
View Post
like i said before,

cars mean different things to different people. to me it means a lot.

As for the Audi comment. I work very hard (15 hour days mostly ) to be able to get what i want . I therefore want it to be in the best shape possible. (and there is resale value....) and not be fd up by some idiot who is to stupid to drive a car or park for that matter.

AND the amount of people decent enough to leave a note is very minimal

just my 2cents
It seems to me some people have never grown out of kindergarten.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 19.02.2011, 02:21
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 74
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 101 Times in 39 Posts
Chuchichaeschtli has made some interesting contributions
Re: People that park where they feel like!

Quote:
View Post
I was lucky enough to watch a women driver try to park her large 4X4 into a parking space at Jelmoli one Saturday morning. I was waiting to pass as we where done shopping, mad rush was starting, therefore time to leave. Needless to say there where not a great deal of parking spaces left. Some of the parking in Jelmoli are thin in the front (wall end) getting wider as the parking gets to the ramp area. Well I could clearly see without a shadow of doubt that she was not going to fit that big sod off 4x4 in that space. But nope she decided to give it a try. Proceeded to scrape BOTH cars on either side of her on the way in. The proceeded to scrape BOTH cars on the way out. Put foot and left without leaving a note. Unbelievable! I even heard the scrapes for anyone worried she might not have realised.
women with large (and expensive) SUV's in zurich are my " favorite" when it comes to parking.

they have no clue where their car begins and where it ends (no, bringing your snotty-nosed brats to school do not give you enough driving experience). in combination with this little pinch of arrogance, they make a perfect combination for me to park at the other end of the parking deck.

objection of generalisations in my article: yes, you are right, good/bad driving does not base on the gender. no i do not hate large SUV's in general (offers for free black RR supercharged through PM, thx!). and yes, i am subjective.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Chuchichaeschtli for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 19.02.2011, 04:04
sofielein's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Zürich
Posts: 73
Groaned at 4 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 17 Times in 9 Posts
sofielein has no particular reputation at present
Re: People that park where they feel like!

Quote:
View Post
yes there is insurance but that costs me 2-3 days of MY convenience thanks to some idiot.

I don't know if you ever kindof read about being a part of society by not looking at your short-term interests but looking at your long-term interests.

Like leaving another parking space clear - nothing that works for you directly, just something that works for your community.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank sofielein for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 19.02.2011, 04:12
sofielein's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Zürich
Posts: 73
Groaned at 4 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 17 Times in 9 Posts
sofielein has no particular reputation at present
Re: People that park where they feel like!

I think I was not outspoken enough. People who have studied, educated themselves and observed others, actually

KNOW that
if I only watch my interest, and look for my own little Audi TT not to get scratched, then I will act like the below example all the time,

if i act like I am integrated, I know my TT is important but I also acknowledge how important it can be for a 13-year old Opel Vectra with 3 kids in the backseat to find a parkplace,

then I act normally, and let them live their lives, not act like my audi is the most important thing in the world.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank sofielein for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 19.02.2011, 09:04
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People that park where they feel like!

Quote:
View Post
I think I was not outspoken enough. People who have studied, educated themselves and observed others, actually

KNOW that
if I only watch my interest, and look for my own little Audi TT not to get scratched, then I will act like the below example all the time,

if i act like I am integrated, I know my TT is important but I also acknowledge how important it can be for a 13-year old Opel Vectra with 3 kids in the backseat to find a parkplace,

then I act normally, and let them live their lives, not act like my audi is the most important thing in the world.
And beside, I never understood why people put so much importance on something that is outside at all time, with all kind of temperature, all kind of obstacles and people around. It can't stay immaculate for long and it is going to have some scratches. And we don't even talk about the devaluation on it at the moment you get out of the seller. You want a nice car? Great, enjoy it but enjoy it like a car not a precious diamond.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 19.02.2011, 09:22
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,875
Groaned at 125 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 6,610 Times in 3,659 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People that park where they feel like!

I always believe in principle "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". If I plan to park the car somewhere I make sure that there is enough clearance on both sides so that the next incoming car can either park forwards or backwards. All those folks who park outside or badly inside the area do not realize that someone has to correct somewhere to stay too close otherwise other cars will be parked badly. I often keep on parking as many times as it takes to get it right. My wife thinks it is ridiculous that I'm so Swiss when it comes to it, but I want to make sure that I am not the one to create the problem.
__________________
🎾That's what we do to help English speaking expats community in Switzerland:
General Information About Swiss Tennis
Tennis Lessons Summer Winter Seasons
🎾🎾Our charity organization to help unprivileged kids to realize their dreams:
FMTF Supports Tennis For Children in Southern Africa
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank jacek for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 19.02.2011, 09:58
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,387
Groaned at 207 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 9,793 Times in 3,785 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People that park where they feel like!

See, parking is another reason to fly a motorbike, you can park the sucker anywhere you find a bike sized bit of space.
I find the boxes marked Velo and Moto that I see in Basel cute, especially when some bugger parks his smart on them.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 19.02.2011, 10:11
Village Idiot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 3,738
Groaned at 35 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 7,023 Times in 2,273 Posts
Village Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People that park where they feel like!

Quote:
View Post
And beside, I never understood why people put so much importance on something that is outside at all time, with all kind of temperature, all kind of obstacles and people around. It can't stay immaculate for long and it is going to have some scratches. And we don't even talk about the devaluation on it at the moment you get out of the seller. You want a nice car? Great, enjoy it but enjoy it like a car not a precious diamond.
Well, my car doesn't live outside. It lives inside, in a nice warm garage, both at home and at the office. And it gets polished regularly, to keep it looking good and to protect the paintwork. I paid a far sum for my car, and I like to look after it.

I don't mind so much that my car gets scratched. Life happens. The car ahead of you throws up a stone on the motorway, you hit an unseen branch as you drive down a country lane, whatever. These are accidents.

What drives me crazy is people who have no respect for other's belongings. I take care of my things, whether it's my car or something else, and I expect other people to do the same. When I open my car door, I take care not to bang into the car next to me -- not just to protect my car, but to avoid damaging theirs as well.

I would never dream of leaning or sitting on a car that wasn't my own, something I've witnessed too many times.

In the end, people who park carelessly are really just showing their selfishness and lack of respect. If you want to bang up your own car, hey, go ahead. It's yours to do with what you want. Just please try not to scratch my car in the process.
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank Village Idiot for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 19.02.2011, 10:18
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People that park where they feel like!

Like village idiot I also look after my cars, and I try to park well out of the way of others, and without fail if I park at the far end of an empty carpark I can guarantee someone will park next to me, hundreds of empty spaces yet muppet will still go out of there way to park next to that car over there all on it own, wgat the hell is that about? not only here but in the uk.

for people who say its only a car, how would you like it if I came into your home and in black perminate marker scribbled all over your walls?

or smashed the screen of you tv, or pulled up a hedge, then just left. wouldn't like it would you??
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 19.02.2011, 11:58
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,875
Groaned at 125 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 6,610 Times in 3,659 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People that park where they feel like!

I hate the culture where people do not care about their shiny babies. Every Friday painstakingly I wash it inside out, rims, windscreen and wipe engine compartment. Once or twice a year, I wax and polish it. The car represents personality. It's like polished shoes shining at the public place.

As mentioned above, I also expect others to respect my belongings as much I do respect theirs.

The best example is Genoa where every single car from bottom to top of the range parked in the streets bear some scratches. We tried to avoid the bumper to bumper traffic by all means but it was impossible. We paid for the hotel garage extra EUR15 a night but hell no. As soon as you are on the road you are destinied to savage driving. Like wishful thinking, inevitably someone at the exit to the highway had to take tiny bit of paint from our bumper.

I like the culture here in Switzerland, not only the people are very careful but I heard the stories that if somone scratches your car at the parking lot, they admit it and they even leave the note with their personal details attached to your windscreen. That's very human.
__________________
🎾That's what we do to help English speaking expats community in Switzerland:
General Information About Swiss Tennis
Tennis Lessons Summer Winter Seasons
🎾🎾Our charity organization to help unprivileged kids to realize their dreams:
FMTF Supports Tennis For Children in Southern Africa

Last edited by jacek; 19.02.2011 at 12:15.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank jacek for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 19.02.2011, 12:31
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,387
Groaned at 207 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 9,793 Times in 3,785 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People that park where they feel like!

Quote:
View Post
I like the culture here in Switzerland, not only the people are very careful but I heard the stories that if somone scratches your car at the parking lot, they admit it and they even leave the note with their personal details attached to your windscreen. That's very human.
Which Switzerland are you in, in this one they would give your car a kick if they ever got forced to scratch their cars on yours
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 19.02.2011, 12:47
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People that park where they feel like!

Quote:
View Post
Well, my car doesn't live outside. It lives inside, in a nice warm garage, both at home and at the office. And it gets polished regularly, to keep it looking good and to protect the paintwork. I paid a far sum for my car, and I like to look after it.

I don't mind so much that my car gets scratched. Life happens. The car ahead of you throws up a stone on the motorway, you hit an unseen branch as you drive down a country lane, whatever. These are accidents.

What drives me crazy is people who have no respect for other's belongings. I take care of my things, whether it's my car or something else, and I expect other people to do the same. When I open my car door, I take care not to bang into the car next to me -- not just to protect my car, but to avoid damaging theirs as well.

I would never dream of leaning or sitting on a car that wasn't my own, something I've witnessed too many times.

In the end, people who park carelessly are really just showing their selfishness and lack of respect. If you want to bang up your own car, hey, go ahead. It's yours to do with what you want. Just please try not to scratch my car in the process.
Quote:
View Post
Like village idiot I also look after my cars, and I try to park well out of the way of others, and without fail if I park at the far end of an empty carpark I can guarantee someone will park next to me, hundreds of empty spaces yet muppet will still go out of there way to park next to that car over there all on it own, wgat the hell is that about? not only here but in the uk.

for people who say its only a car, how would you like it if I came into your home and in black perminate marker scribbled all over your walls?

or smashed the screen of you tv, or pulled up a hedge, then just left. wouldn't like it would you??
I agree with both of you. Which I find normal behavior with your cars.

What dont't I agree is when some believe that their car deserve more space than anybody else in a crowded parking.

And yes I totally dislike when people believe their cars are more important than people, when they believe that other cars are not enough important to take care of, etc.

Yes people don't respect other people's belonging, people don't respect other people period.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 19.02.2011, 13:19
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,875
Groaned at 125 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 6,610 Times in 3,659 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People that park where they feel like!

Quote:
View Post
Which Switzerland are you in, in this one they would give your car a kick if they ever got forced to scratch their cars on yours
Sadly, this kind of politeness is exclusively reserved to the northern regions only. As you go further down south the "tit for tat" aggression escalates immensely At least you have less dull life there ...

I also cannot understand why there's so much fuss about leaving a gap at the parking lots as long as some generous people make some, so there is always enough space I can fit in my bicycle in-between...

Last edited by jacek; 19.02.2011 at 13:30.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank jacek for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 21.02.2011, 13:27
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 694
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 542 Times in 283 Posts
tooki has an excellent reputationtooki has an excellent reputationtooki has an excellent reputationtooki has an excellent reputation
Re: People that park where they feel like!

Quote:
View Post
...
I left a note - with a diagram of how to park (my German's not up to leaving insulting messages). Then I climbed into my car via the right hand door…
Time for someone to make a German version of http://www.youparklikeanasshole.com/ !!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 21.02.2011, 13:41
grynch's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Geneva/Vaud
Posts: 4,945
Groaned at 50 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 5,199 Times in 2,354 Posts
grynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People that park where they feel like!

Quote:
View Post
women with large (and expensive) SUV's in zurich are my " favorite" when it comes to parking.

I had an interesting sighting saturday... mrs and I had just pulled into the parking at the Chavanne Centre( shopping mall near GE ) and had to wait a moment while a woman in Porsche Cayenne backed into a spot... just as I started to say to mrs. "gee, she is awfulllllly close this side".. there went her sideview mirror into a pillar.



Last edited by grynch; 21.02.2011 at 13:51.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank grynch for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 21.02.2011, 13:52
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,231
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People that park where they feel like!

Quote:
View Post
Which Switzerland are you in, in this one they would give your car a kick if they ever got forced to scratch their cars on yours
Nah. That'll be the auslanders...
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 21.02.2011, 13:59
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: People that park where they feel like!

Quote:
View Post
Like village idiot I also look after my cars, and I try to park well out of the way of others, and without fail if I park at the far end of an empty carpark I can guarantee someone will park next to me, hundreds of empty spaces yet muppet will still go out of there way to park next to that car over there all on it own, wgat the hell is that about? not only here but in the uk......
Basic rule of parking. Always park next to a car that is newer, shinier, more prestigous than yours. Particularly in Italy. Then that gets keyed/bumped and not yours.

Gets a bit difficult to follow that rule if your car is a Ferrari, however.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 21.02.2011, 14:00
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,387
Groaned at 207 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 9,793 Times in 3,785 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People that park where they feel like!

Quote:
View Post
I had an interesting sighting saturday... mrs and I had just pulled into the parking at the Chavanne Centre( shopping mall near GE ) and had to wait a moment while a woman in Porsche Cayenne backed into a spot... just as I started to say to mrs. "gee, she is awfulllllly close this side".. there went her sideview mirror into a pillar.


Its because they believe it when we say "that" is 12 inches
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
  #40  
Old 21.02.2011, 15:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,894
Groaned at 97 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 1,932 Times in 921 Posts
Anthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People that park where they feel like!

Quote:
View Post
I don't know if you ever kindof read about being a part of society by not looking at your short-term interests but looking at your long-term interests.

Like leaving another parking space clear - nothing that works for you directly, just something that works for your community.

like I said earlier. I double park When there is 300 other spots open. cause as noted before, there is always that smart ass who will park right next to you.
Also as noted above, my car is mostly inside, ALWAYS has a nice coat of wax and is immaculate at all days of the week. the car is now 7 years old (2004) and has not a single scratch on it or stain in the inside only because it has been taken care off.

my point is that it is the others who dont care about other peoples stuff which to some is more important than others....(point made in several different posts now)
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zürich people attending a concert: What is wrng with these people? Time Bandit Complaints corner 47 07.10.2012 22:38
I feel so good BaselIndian Daily life 46 22.04.2010 14:01
I feel sad Oldhand General off-topic 42 20.04.2009 18:44
I feel welcome already! Here from CA for 1yr! SayCheese Introductions 7 22.04.2007 19:45


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0