Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 14.02.2011, 18:56
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Sometimes I really hate people :mad:

Lunatic aborigine shouts at you at work?



Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 14.02.2011, 18:57
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,952
Groaned at 295 Times in 199 Posts
Thanked 19,026 Times in 8,002 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sometimes I really hate people :mad:

just take him to lunch at a place of your own choice.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 14.02.2011, 19:31
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,422
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sometimes I really hate people :mad:

Quote:
View Post
There will be another 3 or 4 people there. I'm not sure why this newb needs me to hold his hand.

Well...

It isn't so much that he "needs" you to hold his hand (after all, he's a grown-up and started a new job / new location and all that jazz) but I know that many folks are more comfortable showing up someplace socially if they know there will be at least one person there whom they already "know."

Since the gal was the one who invited him, I think it is likely she did so with that thought in mind, and that's why she "pushed" him at you. Maybe guys don't think like that, I dunno, maybe she at least expected that you wouldn't think to go out of your way (unless she forced it ) to help the new guy become a little more comfy socially with coworkers.
__________________
The Joys of Opticianry
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Peg A for this useful post:
  #44  
Old 14.02.2011, 19:36
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Sometimes I really hate people :mad:

Quote:
View Post
Well...

It isn't so much that he "needs" you to hold his hand (after all, he's a grown-up and started a new job / new location and all that jazz) but I know that many folks are more comfortable showing up someplace socially if they know there will be at least one person there whom they already "know."

Since the gal was the one who invited him, I think it is likely she did so with that thought in mind, and that's why she "pushed" him at you. Maybe guys don't think like that, I dunno, maybe she at least expected that you wouldn't think to go out of your way (unless she forced it ) to help the new guy become a little more comfy socially with coworkers.
I do like the new guy and although he's only here for 6 months I do want him to enjoy his time here.

So anyway he replied the email and disaster has been averted
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 14.02.2011, 19:38
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sometimes I really hate people :mad:

Quote:
View Post
I do like the new guy and although he's only here for 6 months I do want him to enjoy his time here.

So anyway he replied the email and disaster has been averted
I'm sure they'll talk about you behind your back. Also, is there no chance that the girl is on the forum as well?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #46  
Old 14.02.2011, 19:40
nickatbasel's Avatar
Mod, Chips and Mushy Peas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 5,382
Groaned at 165 Times in 103 Posts
Thanked 8,569 Times in 3,177 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sometimes I really hate people :mad:

Hmm..

As one who has organised curry nights in the past (not necessarily EF ones), I do get fed up when people sign up for an event and then decide to withdraw just before the event is due to take place - particularly when I've booked a table.

On the other hand, the person arranging the event should have made it clear where she was planning for the lunch to take place and what the likely price would be.

Cheers,
Nick
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 14.02.2011, 19:53
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,480
Groaned at 18 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,196 Posts
CH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sometimes I really hate people :mad:

We also have someone at work who organises work events without telling people the details until you have signed up for the event.

One year i'd signed up to staying in an Igloo with an outdoor whirlpool and ice toilet. I was 6 months pregnant and I didn't want to risk it plus all those trips to the ice loo made me shiver.

This years work event..well I just found out that i'm booked in to some kind of Eiger walk out on a ledge on the cliff face
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank CH_Me for this useful post:
  #48  
Old 14.02.2011, 20:00
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sometimes I really hate people :mad:

Why is the chick reacting so high school? I know work social life is important, but since when it is a reason to pull this social malice on somebody? Like it is compulsory or something..That lady needs to chill, drama queen. A simple work lunch ain't no prom.

I know it feels awkward to not have enough cash to eat out when everybody else does, but not really in here. A ton of people do not have the means to go and chow down on 25fr lunch with a drink and an espresso, ugh. The enlightened ones will invite you to share their home made soup for their work lunch, with some fresh rolls. That's something I would do for a newcomer.
__________________
"L'homme ne peut pas remplacer son coeur avec sa tete, ni sa tete avec ses mains." J.H. Pestalozzi

“The only difference between a rut and a grave is a matter of depth.” S.P. Cadman

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." A. Einstein
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #49  
Old 14.02.2011, 21:42
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Sometimes I really hate people :mad:

Quote:
View Post
We also have someone at work who organises work events without telling people the details until you have signed up for the event.
At a previous place I worked the boss used to pull this trick with compulsory "staff training" events.

On one occasion, we were all ordered to go, whether we were well or not (several members of staff had been away that week with chest infections), doctor's note or not. "Bring warm clothes," she had said, ominously. We piled into cars, the drivers of which had merely been told to meet at a car park in Altdorf, then found ourselves, soon afterwards, queuing up for a cable car.

Cue tears and hysteria from a couple of young ladies who had a terrible fear of heights, who found themselves compelled, on pain of sacking, to spend the next 15 minutes in a box on a bit of string, several hundred feet over the valley floor.

We arrived at the cable car station, where our luggage was loaded onto sledges and driven away, leaving us to put on snowshoes. "Surprise!" cried the boss, clapping her hands with glee. "I bet you didn't expect to do anything as exciting as this, did you?"

"No," we replied. "But given that all our thermal gear, snowpants, walking boots, gloves and hats are now half a mile ahead of us up the mountain, we can't say that we're quite as delighted with the idea as you seem to be."

So off we set on a miserable 40 minute trudge through the snow, woefully ill-prepared for the extreme cold, thanks to our boss's somewhat childish eagerness to 'surprise' us.

That wasn't the end of it, of course. The entire "training" weekend consisted of lovely surprises like being stranded in a fogbound cabin in the middle of nowhere with a fixed menu of spaetzli, spaghetti and alpermacaroni - a real treat for a gluten-intolerant like me - and an afternoon of "igloo building" (apparently it fosters team spirit. We did find ourselves united in the desire to murder the boss and bury her mutilated corpse in the snow, so maybe they have a point there).

If only she'd taken us to a Chinese buffet instead...
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #50  
Old 14.02.2011, 21:45
MathNut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kt. Glarus
Posts: 4,415
Groaned at 34 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 10,952 Times in 3,253 Posts
MathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sometimes I really hate people :mad:

Quote:
... ordered to go, whether we were well or not ... piled into cars... found ourselves, soon afterwards, queuing up ... compelled, on pain of sacking ... miserable 40 minute trudge ... woefully ill-prepared ... 'surprise' '[in quotes] ... '"training" weekend' [in double quotes] ...
I know I may be biased, but DB, you should totally write for the Mail.

(I trust the housing market was also affected by some of this?)
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank MathNut for this useful post:
  #51  
Old 14.02.2011, 21:55
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Sometimes I really hate people :mad:

Quote:
At a previous place I worked the boss used to pull this trick with compulsory "staff training" events.

On one occasion, we were all ordered to go, whether we were well or not (several members of staff had been away that week with chest infections), doctor's note or not. "Bring warm clothes," she had said, ominously. We piled into cars, the drivers of which had merely been told to meet at a car park in Altdorf, then found ourselves, soon afterwards, queuing up for a cable car.

Cue tears and hysteria from a couple of young ladies who had a terrible fear of heights, who found themselves compelled, on pain of sacking, to spend the next 15 minutes in a box on a bit of string, several hundred feet over the valley floor.

We arrived at the cable car station, where our luggage was loaded onto sledges and driven away, leaving us to put on snowshoes. "Surprise!" cried the boss, clapping her hands with glee. "I bet you didn't expect to do anything as exciting as this, did you?"

"No," we replied. "But given that all our thermal gear, snowpants, walking boots, gloves and hats are now half a mile ahead of us up the mountain, we can't say that we're quite as delighted with the idea as you seem to be."

So off we set on a miserable 40 minute trudge through the snow, woefully ill-prepared for the extreme cold, thanks to our boss's somewhat childish eagerness to 'surprise' us.

That wasn't the end of it, of course. The entire "training" weekend consisted of lovely surprises like being stranded in a fogbound cabin in the middle of nowhere with a fixed menu of spaetzli, spaghetti and alpermacaroni - a real treat for a gluten-intolerant like me - and an afternoon of "igloo building" (apparently it fosters team spirit. We did find ourselves united in the desire to murder the boss and bury her mutilated corpse in the snow, so maybe they have a point there).

If only she'd taken us to a Chinese buffet instead...
I've had the surprise visit to the absinthe tasting place. Wasn't much fun considering I'm Muslim
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #52  
Old 15.02.2011, 01:17
Texaner's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zentralschweiz
Posts: 2,047
Groaned at 99 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 2,985 Times in 1,430 Posts
Texaner has a reputation beyond reputeTexaner has a reputation beyond reputeTexaner has a reputation beyond reputeTexaner has a reputation beyond reputeTexaner has a reputation beyond reputeTexaner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sometimes I really hate people :mad:

Quote:
View Post
...Edit: http://www.doodle.com/ for the older people on EF.
Thanks for that.
.
.

UNSUBSCRIBE
.
.

Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 15.02.2011, 02:10
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,913
Groaned at 182 Times in 142 Posts
Thanked 6,191 Times in 3,404 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sometimes I really hate people :mad:

Quote:
View Post
So one of the people in our building sends an email around about setting up a lunch with a doodle attached. I sign up to the doodle and that's that.

Then some other person in my office forwards the email to a visiting PhD student in my office and asks if he wants to come.

Today comes around and we get an email saying we are going to some Chinese Buffet place. I automatically say no I'm not going there. I'm trying to watch what I eat and I can't eat the chicken or meat because of religious reasons. Also the buffet is 25CHF. I know that's normal for a buffet in Switzerland but it's about 15CHF more than I like to spend on lunch.

So the girl in the office asks if I'm going and I say no, I'm trying to watch what I eat. Then she starts shouting at me about why I signed up for the doodle if I wasn't going to go. I obviously wasn't aware that signing up to a doodle is a legal contract. Then she goes on about how she has French lessons tomorrow and then the visiting guy will have to go alone. Really not my problem since she's the one who invited him

Then the visiting guy comes in the office and she says to hi, 'The lunch is tomorrow and porsch1909 (yes that's my real name...my parents had a sick sense of humor) will go with you.'

I'm gobsmacked and say 'Yeh sure whatever I will go.'

I'm just too nice of a person, as anyone who has met me will attest too


Thread is now open for LiB to troll


Edit: http://www.doodle.com/ for the older people on EF.
Do you have any real problems , like a spouse with a STG 57 under the duve
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 15.02.2011, 02:15
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,913
Groaned at 182 Times in 142 Posts
Thanked 6,191 Times in 3,404 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sometimes I really hate people :mad:

Quote:
View Post
I am not going to troll your post Porsch.

The one with a problem is that girl. She made a ''Doodle'' (we learn somethin' everyday) and she didn't put any restaurant choices. At the end, when everybody agreed, she comes up with a place and a price without asking opinion on THAT matter.

Now, if you don't want to go for whatever the reason, it is your own business. She has no rights to scream at you nor giving you an attitude and making you pay by taking care of her guy.

Tell her to F**k off and that's the end of it.

Now go on that website and order those balls!
Nil! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz I can`t belive
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank cannut for this useful post:
  #55  
Old 15.02.2011, 09:09
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 847
Groaned at 27 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,044 Times in 364 Posts
Panther has a reputation beyond reputePanther has a reputation beyond reputePanther has a reputation beyond reputePanther has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sometimes I really hate people :mad:

Maybe the question is what makes Porsche more angry?

A - co-worker yelling at her, and placing her in a difficult predicament

B - not having the power to say NO

Personally, I get more pissed off at myself, at my reaction, when someone upsets me, or passes offensive comments. If you are not my close friend, then a weird grin materialses on my face, and I tend to agree with the offender. I HATE it, and I hate myself when it happens, but my reaction is so instinctive, its already to late to be upset.

I know get some Balls, I wish it were that simple.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Panther for this useful post:
  #56  
Old 15.02.2011, 09:13
grynch's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Geneva/Vaud
Posts: 4,945
Groaned at 50 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 5,199 Times in 2,354 Posts
grynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sometimes I really hate people :mad:

Quote:
View Post
I'm trying to watch what I eat and I can't eat the chicken or meat because of religious reasons.
kinda off topic here... but I'm confused..

weren't you part of the original KFC clan?




EDIT... someone just explained to me that KFC uses only Halal meat... I nevah knew.

Last edited by grynch; 15.02.2011 at 09:37.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank grynch for this useful post:
  #57  
Old 15.02.2011, 09:31
Swissmountainair's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A moving target...
Posts: 878
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 950 Times in 448 Posts
Swissmountainair has a reputation beyond reputeSwissmountainair has a reputation beyond reputeSwissmountainair has a reputation beyond reputeSwissmountainair has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sometimes I really hate people :mad:

Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 15.02.2011, 09:40
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Sometimes I really hate people :mad:

Quote:
View Post
kinda off topic here... but I'm confused..

weren't you part of the original KFC clan?




EDIT... someone just explained to me that KFC uses only Halal meat... I nevah knew.
All KFCs in France are Halal. I was busy searching for the link on their website...but it's all in French! What's that all about?!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #59  
Old 15.02.2011, 09:41
grynch's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Geneva/Vaud
Posts: 4,945
Groaned at 50 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 5,199 Times in 2,354 Posts
grynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sometimes I really hate people :mad:

Quote:
View Post
All KFCs in France are Halal. I was busy searching for the link on their website...but it's all in French! What's that all about?!
I know... when I go to France I notice alot of people speaking french..it's really weird... certainly not like that here in good old GE.

Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 15.02.2011, 09:51
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Sometimes I really hate people :mad:

Quote:
View Post
I know... when I go to France I notice alot of people speaking french..it's really weird... certainly not like that here in good old GE.

I spent my whole life in the UK under the impression that some of the countries in Western mainland Europe where developed and spoke English.

How wrong I was...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mimi smells, porsch1909 hates people, porsch1909 is mad




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why do people hate the UK ? Mikers International affairs/politics 458 07.10.2012 00:23
Why do so many people hate Michael Moore? Hugh Osborne International affairs/politics 64 31.05.2010 21:59
I hate it when people are late sygirl101 Complaints corner 69 14.11.2009 11:59
What do you do when you get really mad ... ? ? ? Sada General off-topic 133 25.03.2009 09:47
I really hate when Swiss people talk in German in front of me... Tweener Complaints corner 108 03.10.2008 14:54


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0