Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #321  
Old 09.03.2011, 17:20
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: My fake Louis Vuitton contraband was seized at Geneva Airport's Customs

Quote:
View Post
No I don't think you are homophobic but I wish to understand how you came up with the straight men wearing clothes designed by gay men is funny, mindless, etc.

I just don't get it. How this should affect someone's wardrobe...

No, I was talking about straight men wearing things with D&G prominently displayed, unaware that the D&G logo signifies the gay marriage of Dolce & Gabanna. If they are aware of it, and don't mind it, that's fine. More power to them. It is funny to imagine how unaware some are of it.

I'm not homophobic, but I do hold to conservative values. Being a billboard for a gay marriage is not on my list of things to do. But some do it unknowingly and unwittingly.... hilariously.
  #322  
Old 09.03.2011, 17:21
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,065
Groaned at 651 Times in 504 Posts
Thanked 25,871 Times in 10,429 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My fake Louis Vuitton contraband was seized at Geneva Airport's Customs

Quote:
View Post
Did Hugo Boss design or just manufacture the uniforms?
Manufacture, not design.

Quote:

Because for most Tailors around that time it was probably an order that would have been hard to refuse.........

Especially for him being a Nazi party member. That would have looked a bit odd.
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #323  
Old 09.03.2011, 17:21
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 12,354
Groaned at 363 Times in 293 Posts
Thanked 23,687 Times in 8,573 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My fake Louis Vuitton contraband was seized at Geneva Airport's Customs

Quote:
View Post
Hugo Boss are still very well cut suits with broad shoulders to give the wearer an Uebermensch presence. It is favored by some power lawyers.
The actually started to produce civilian suits only after the war... I guess the market for uniforms was not that good anymore.

To be honest: The company is publicly traded for decades and has turned around into a completely different business. I can fully accept that somebody decides not to buy it, but then please do not drive a German car, do not use a jet plane, do not use anything of the inventions made by IG Farben (BASF, Bayer, Hoechst... to name a few)... I would never actively support the business of a Nazi, but pretending to be able to avoid all businesses in Europe that have a Nazi past is naive. And then I would like to add the other despots as Mussolini or Franco as well.

To say the truth - the Nazis have driven innovation in many fields in engineering that are completely normal for us. It is pretty impossible to avoid any Aspirin or anything made of synthetic rubber. Every car tyre is based on Nazi German developments...
The following 3 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #324  
Old 09.03.2011, 17:28
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: My fake Louis Vuitton contraband was seized at Geneva Airport's Customs

Quote:
View Post
The actually started to produce civilian suits only after the war... I guess the market for uniforms was not that good anymore.

To be honest: The company is publicly traded for decades and has turned around into a completely different business. I can fully accept that somebody decides not to buy it, but then please do not drive a German car, do not use a jet plane, do not use anything of the inventions made by IG Farben (BASF, Bayer, Hoechst... to name a few)... I would never actively support the business of a Nazi, but pretending to be able to avoid all businesses in Europe that have a Nazi past is naive. And then I would like to add the other despots as Mussolini or Franco as well.

To say the truth - the Nazis have driven innovation in many fields in engineering that are completely normal for us. It is pretty impossible to avoid any Aspirin or anything made of synthetic rubber. Every car tyre is based on Nazi German developments...

Sure. Many are fully aware of Wehrner von Braun's contribution to humanity, at least in the form of faster air travel. It would be ridiculous for anybody to turn down a good thing.

The distinct shape of Hugo Boss suits, particularly the silhouette of broad shoulders, affects on a psychological level. There is a military uniform sense to some of their cuts. For someone who have been terrified by the use of uniforms in the past, the mental association may be more pronounced than drinking coffee from a Krups machine, or driving a finely engineered automobile.
  #325  
Old 09.03.2011, 17:32
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: My fake Louis Vuitton contraband was seized at Geneva Airport's Customs

Quote:
View Post
the D&G logo signifies the gay marriage of Dolce & Gabanna.
Does it, though?

According to this article, they were never married.

Next you'll be suggesting that wearing underpants from Marks and Spencer is 'ironic', because, well, their name obviously signifies a gay marriage.

You're making quite a meal out of this, Phos.
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #326  
Old 09.03.2011, 17:34
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: My fake Louis Vuitton contraband was seized at Geneva Airport's Customs

Quote:
Does it, though?

According to this article, they were never married.

Next you'll be suggesting that wearing underpants from Marks and Spencer is 'ironic', because, well, their name obviously signifies a gay marriage.

You're making quite a meal out of this, Phos.
Bon apetit! They surely are a couple. As for marrying... well.. you're right that I don't know if they have had some sort of ceremnoy.
  #327  
Old 09.03.2011, 17:36
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,345
Groaned at 67 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,739 Times in 2,182 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My fake Louis Vuitton contraband was seized at Geneva Airport's Customs

Quote:
View Post
Bon apetit! They surely are a couple. As for marrying... well.. you're right that I don't know if they have had some sort of ceremnoy.
you mean they WERE a couple.. right?
  #328  
Old 09.03.2011, 17:37
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 12,354
Groaned at 363 Times in 293 Posts
Thanked 23,687 Times in 8,573 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My fake Louis Vuitton contraband was seized at Geneva Airport's Customs

Quote:
View Post
Sure. Many are fully aware of Wehrner von Braun's contribution to humanity, at least in the form of faster air travel. It would be ridiculous for anybody to turn down a good thing.

The distinct shape of Hugo Boss suits, particularly the silhouette of broad shoulders, affects on a psychological level. There is a military uniform sense to some of their cuts. For someone who have been terrified by the use of uniforms in the past, the mental association may be more pronounced than drinking coffee from a Krups machine, or driving a finely engineered automobile.
Yep. I am terrified by power women wearing shoulder pads as well.



But that is still more 80s than 40s style... I have a boss suit and I do not see a major difference in cut to my Canali or Strenesse suits. They are European cut... nothing specific.
This user would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #329  
Old 09.03.2011, 17:37
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: My fake Louis Vuitton contraband was seized at Geneva Airport's Customs

According to this Cha Cha thing, they separated iin 2005, but continued on with the business.
http://www.chacha.com/question/are-d...abbana-married
  #330  
Old 09.03.2011, 17:38
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,345
Groaned at 67 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,739 Times in 2,182 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My fake Louis Vuitton contraband was seized at Geneva Airport's Customs

Quote:
View Post
According to this Cha Cha thing, they separated iin 2005, but continued on with the business.
http://www.chacha.com/question/are-d...abbana-married
so they are just business partners...
This user would like to thank Ouchboy for this useful post:
  #331  
Old 09.03.2011, 17:40
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: My fake Louis Vuitton contraband was seized at Geneva Airport's Customs

Quote:
View Post
Bon apetit! They surely are a couple. As for marrying... well.. you're right that I don't know if they have had some sort of ceremnoy.
The entire foundation of your argument that it is "ironic" to see straight men wearing the Dolce and Gabanna label is that the label represents Mr Dolce and Mr Gabanna's (non-existent) gay marriage.

I propose, on the other hand, that the Dolce and Gabanna label represents nothing more than a working relationship, in the same way that other companies use the names of the principle founders (Marks and Spencers, Ben and Jerry's and so on) and that the fact that they also happen to have been partners in a homosexual relationship is utterly irrelevant.

... except to those of a homophobic bent, obviously, for whom such things really do matter.
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #332  
Old 09.03.2011, 17:44
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,345
Groaned at 67 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,739 Times in 2,182 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My fake Louis Vuitton contraband was seized at Geneva Airport's Customs

^^^^^^^^

This user would like to thank Ouchboy for this useful post:
  #333  
Old 09.03.2011, 17:44
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: My fake Louis Vuitton contraband was seized at Geneva Airport's Customs

Quote:
... except to those of a homophobic bent, obviously, for whom such things really do matter.
I am well aware you have been waiting for the opportunity to play the Homophobic card. Getting bored are you?
  #334  
Old 09.03.2011, 17:45
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,065
Groaned at 651 Times in 504 Posts
Thanked 25,871 Times in 10,429 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My fake Louis Vuitton contraband was seized at Geneva Airport's Customs

Quote:
View Post

To say the truth - the Nazis have driven innovation in many fields in engineering that are completely normal for us. It is pretty impossible to avoid any Aspirin or anything made of synthetic rubber. Every car tyre is based on Nazi German developments...

But, at the same point in history, fellow German Herr Adi Dassler avoided the Nazis and instead got Jesse Owens to wear his innovative running shoes at the 1936 Berlin Olympics.
  #335  
Old 09.03.2011, 17:48
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 12,354
Groaned at 363 Times in 293 Posts
Thanked 23,687 Times in 8,573 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My fake Louis Vuitton contraband was seized at Geneva Airport's Customs

Quote:
View Post
But, at the same point in history, fellow German Herr Adi Dassler avoided the Nazis and instead got Jesse Owens to wear his innovative running shoes at the 1936 Berlin Olympics.
Right. And after that he joined the Nazi party and produced boots for the Wehrmacht till the end of the war...
This user would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #336  
Old 09.03.2011, 17:49
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 12,354
Groaned at 363 Times in 293 Posts
Thanked 23,687 Times in 8,573 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My fake Louis Vuitton contraband was seized at Geneva Airport's Customs

Ok, everybody deserves to be treated equally - so no more gays or Nazis - back to LV bags...

The following 5 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #337  
Old 09.03.2011, 17:50
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: My fake Louis Vuitton contraband was seized at Geneva Airport's Customs

Quote:
View Post
I am well aware you have been waiting for the opportunity to play the Homophobic card. Getting bored are you?
No, but it's interesting to see how much it matters to you that Mr Dolce and Mr Gabanna are gay, and that it should, somehow, matter to those who choose to wear their clothes.

Why does it matter so much?

Nil has been asking for ages, and you have still failed to give her a straight answer.

And yes, we know some of your best friends are gay...
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #338  
Old 09.03.2011, 17:53
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: My fake Louis Vuitton contraband was seized at Geneva Airport's Customs

Quote:
Why does it matter so much?
Because posters on the thread keep asking and bringing it up

The thread went on to talk about the people and politics behind brands. Have you read it?
  #339  
Old 09.03.2011, 17:56
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: My fake Louis Vuitton contraband was seized at Geneva Airport's Customs

Quote:
View Post
Because posters on the thread keep asking

The thread went on to talk about the people and politics behind brands. Have you read it?
Evasive as ever, eh, Phos?

Never mind. It's obviously very, very important to know that the people who design our clothes are gay.

After all, gayness might be contagious. You might catch it from a D and G t-shirt, mightn't you?
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #340  
Old 09.03.2011, 18:00
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: My fake Louis Vuitton contraband was seized at Geneva Airport's Customs

Quote:
After all, gayness might be contagious. You might catch it from a D and G t-shirt, mightn't you?
Errr.... no. Trust your manhood.
Closed Thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
louis vuitton is costly subh_04 General off-topic 25 11.01.2010 16:40


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0