English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Complaints corner (https://www.englishforum.ch/complaints-corner/)
-   -   Damn I hate this country (https://www.englishforum.ch/complaints-corner/108990-damn-i-hate-country.html)

Anthony1406 18.03.2011 03:46

Re: Damn I hate this country
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ch-expat (Post 1139469)
I have not posted for a while but I feel compelled to reply. I am a Swiss that has been in California for 20+ years.
I also think that the anything-Swiss bashing is out of control on this forum. I am a mod on a US forum, and we just don't see our role as adding to and encouraging the trashing of any group of people. I think that if you accept to become a mod Economisto, you do have to become more neutral and try to smooth things. You can't have it both ways.
And don't tell me that it is just wit and it is funny. I have seen many of you loose your cool when your own countries are attacked.

To the OP that wants to move to California: have you been to California since 2008?
You will be amazed by the red tape, the economy in shamble, the impossibility of borrowing money, the cost associated with opening a business, the competition, the scams you will be subjected to as a business owner, the lawsuits...

I wonder if your frustration has to do with your line of business. I always found bars pretty depressing in Switzerland.
Why don't you explore other options in the hospitality industry?

good points, but what othe oppertunities, im looking right now at resto bar which i know would make money.nightclub partnership but i choose personal life and reputation above that field of industry. hotels do not interest me, nor do sales.I have actually never been to cali but the gf is from there. if prefer to move to MN but well try to convince a cali girl to move to the cold hhaahaha.


I not talking bout right now but in the next 5*7 years, cause I have no choice...... lets hope its better by then

Cbass 18.03.2011 06:14

Re: Damn I hate this country
 
Here's another reason not to open a bar in Southern California. You would have to play these types of songs at your bar:


Nil 18.03.2011 07:33

Re: Damn I hate this country
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony1406 (Post 1139471)
good points, but what othe oppertunities, im looking right now at resto bar which i know would make money.nightclub partnership but i choose personal life and reputation above that field of industry. hotels do not interest me, nor do sales.I have actually never been to cali but the gf is from there. if prefer to move to MN but well try to convince a cali girl to move to the cold hhaahaha.


I not talking bout right now but in the next 5*7 years, cause I have no choice...... lets hope its better by then

Breakfast!!!! This place needs breakfast place! Just breakfast! From early morning to afternoon, breakfast only!

:)

st2lemans 18.03.2011 08:57

Re: Damn I hate this country
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wollishofener (Post 1139430)
Alto-Adige is only "POST-1918-Italy"

Yes, but as Italy itself is only 150 years old (yesterday), that means it's been part of Italy for most of the time Italy has been Italy!

Tom

Faltrad 18.03.2011 09:05

Re: Damn I hate this country
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 1139527)
Yes, but as Italy itself is only 150 years old (yesterday), that means it's been part of Italy for most of the time Italy has been Italy!

Tom

Don't tell us, tell them. Last time I was there, I had to say Südtirol and nothing else. Being right is not always enough...

dawiz 18.03.2011 09:12

Re: Damn I hate this country
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Markus 13 (Post 1139050)
ok...as a African-born (black guy- yeah lets make it controversial!!), after seven months in Basel, i might say i got used to the pros and cons of the place...BUT ONE!! It really disturbs me the behaviour of virtually the bulk of tenders and cashiers in the supermarkets and shops-

That disturbs me, too - however, you'll have to realize that in the Basel area, by far most cashiers at supermarkets, restaurant staff etc. are French commuters. That might not be immediately visible because they speak a German dialect in Alsace.

cmirsky 18.03.2011 09:13

Re: Damn I hate this country
 
So, last night I go to take cash out of the ATM, and my card was "eaten". I was P1$$3d... :msnmad: Ready to hit the bank first thing this morning. I had just used it the day before... And of course, you cannot just go get a new one...

So then I opened a letter this morning that just came in the mail yesterday... It says I have a new PIN .... And a new Card #. I am like WTF ??? The original card was good until 12/12..

So the bank can just change my card without notifying me, and having the machine just take it ? My wife went to the store yesterday afternoon, and thankfully, hers worked... She wanted to use it last night, and I was like NOOOO... It may eat that too...

So now I don`t have a card and who knows how long it will take to get a new one... Good thing I wasn`t at the store with 100sFr of groceries, or worse, out of town... SHEESH... :mad:

dawiz 18.03.2011 09:18

Re: Damn I hate this country
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by grace noam (Post 1138396)

And please, I think we all know what Swiss people think of "Auslaender"... you don't have to remind us.

Again, a generalization. Threads like this one really don't help the image of foreigners some of the people in Switzerland have.

TiMow 18.03.2011 09:19

Re: Damn I hate this country
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirsky (Post 1139537)
So, last night I go to take cash out of the ATM, and my card was "eaten". I was P1$$3d... :msnmad: Ready to hit the bank first thing this morning. I had just used it the day before... And of course, you cannot just go get a new one...

So then I opened a letter this morning that just came in the mail yesterday... It says I have a new PIN .... And a new Card #. I am like WTF ??? The original card was good until 12/12..

So the bank can just change my card without notifying me, and having the machine just take it ? My wife went to the store yesterday afternoon, and thankfully, hers worked... She wanted to use it last night, and I was like NOOOO... It may eat that too...

So now I don`t have a card and who knows how long it will take to get a new one... Good thing I wasn`t at the store with 100sFr of groceries, or worse, out of town... SHEESH... :mad:


What a bunch of bankers.

MathNut 18.03.2011 09:21

Re: Damn I hate this country
 
FWIW you'll probably get your new card in the mail today, new PIN number either today or tomorrow. That's been my experience anyway - they don't dillydally around with these things as I half-expected them to.

Sorry, did I spoil your rant? :p Oops, how careless of me. Carry on...

cmirsky 18.03.2011 09:25

Re: Damn I hate this country
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MathNut (Post 1139543)
FWIW you'll probably get your new card in the mail today, new PIN number either today or tomorrow. That's been my experience anyway - they don't dillydally around with these things as I half-expected them to.

Sorry, did I spoil your rant? :p Oops, how careless of me. Carry on...

I get it... But.. to just let me use the card and have it... WOOSH ... "See Ya`". I notification would have been nice... (I guess they DID notify me... with a new pin and card # in a letter... THE DAY THE CARD IS DISABLED..."... But you didn`t spoil my rant... I got plenty more where that came from...:D

MathNut 18.03.2011 09:38

Re: Damn I hate this country
 
Ah, that's a relief. :p

I'm not sure why they would have the machine 'eat' your card either... unless maybe they suspected fraudulent activity, card had been replicated or something? In that case it'd make sense to take any and all copies out of circulation - physically out - as soon as possible, rather than let someone (who mightn't be you) carry on up to the daily limit. Maybe.

Guest 18.03.2011 09:38

Re: Damn I hate this country
 
Well, I transfer some money to Peru every month and last year all of a sudden there would be 47.50 USD less in the transfer, I called my bank and they said they did not know that it was probably fees from the bank in Peru...my mom went to ask and they said nope, we charge the usual 20 USD and that is it. After several calls I had to go to the banks office and after 30 minutes of reasoning with the guy he told me "Oh that is because we changed bank partners so now we dont send directly but through Citibank, so you just have to add 47.50 as a transaction fee next time" I was APPALLED as the fee that they claim is stated as 3.5 CHF, and I told the guy that they should check with me first they should have informed me, the guy said no because it is not their bank charging me but the intermediary bank, I wonder what kind of idiot he is...

cmirsky 18.03.2011 09:45

Re: Damn I hate this country
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MathNut (Post 1139559)
Ah, that's a relief. :p

I'm not sure why they would have the machine 'eat' your card either... unless maybe they suspected fraudulent activity, card had been replicated or something? In that case it'd make sense to take any and all copies out of circulation - physically out - as soon as possible, rather than let someone (who mightn't be you) carry on up to the daily limit. Maybe.

Yeah... I thought about that... Even checked by account online... nothing unusual... But it is possible... But still... a phone call or email or something would have been ... well... nice... My AMEX did that once, and it turned out someone had gotten my card info and was trying to charge a $1000 hotel bill... in the UK... But it`s all good...

Fortunately I have gotten used to always carrying cash on me. here..
In the states, it is the other way around... almost no-one carrys cash and uses cards for everything...

Thanks MN... Hopefully see you guys soon .... with cheese... :D

Suisse2008 18.03.2011 10:11

Re: Damn I hate this country
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ch-expat (Post 1139469)
I have not posted for a while but I feel compelled to reply. I am a Swiss that has been in California for 20+ years.
I also think that the anything-Swiss bashing is out of control on this forum. I am a mod on a US forum, and we just don't see our role as adding to and encouraging the trashing of any group of people. I think that if you accept to become a mod Economisto, you do have to become more neutral and try to smooth things. You can't have it both ways.
And don't tell me that it is just wit and it is funny. I have seen many of you loose your cool when your own countries are attacked.

Other than the post that implied Switzerland is like Yorkshire in the 1720s, has there been a lot of Swiss-bashing by mods?

Guest 18.03.2011 10:45

Re: Damn I hate this country
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirsky (Post 1139546)
I get it... But.. to just let me use the card and have it... WOOSH ... "See Ya`". I notification would have been nice... (I guess they DID notify me... with a new pin and card # in a letter... THE DAY THE CARD IS DISABLED..."... But you didn`t spoil my rant... I got plenty more where that came from...:D

Perhaps rather than rant you should actually ask your bank. Old cards are normally not disabled until they actually expire, they must have had a reason, either technical or security.

Phil_MCR 18.03.2011 11:15

Re: Damn I hate this country
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suisse2008 (Post 1139588)
Other than the post that implied Switzerland is like Yorkshire in the 1720s, has there been a lot of Swiss-bashing by mods?

and i'd regard that as more of a compliment than bashing.

Faltrad 18.03.2011 11:17

Re: Damn I hate this country
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ch-expat (Post 1139469)
I think that if you accept to become a mod Economisto, you do have to become more neutral and try to smooth things. You can't have it both ways.

:rofl: Watch him!

18.03.2011 11:19

Re: Damn I hate this country
 
Moderators aren't allowed to have opinions now?


Some of you need to get your head out of your arses :rolleyes:

mimi1981 18.03.2011 11:22

Re: Damn I hate this country
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suisse2008 (Post 1139588)
Other than the post that implied Switzerland is like Yorkshire in the 1720s, has there been a lot of Swiss-bashing by mods?

What I want to know is who's sticking up for the poor Yorkie's :rolleyes:

Our lovely cheesey friend must be feeling very upset ;)


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:09.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0